Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Emitter Placement Rules Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Emitter Placement Rules Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IR Receiver Placement Rules Question

I have a question, the answers I receive may influence a build that I have under way

The question concerns receiver placement, basically, is the placement in the loader's hatch of this Tiger I acceptable?

This particular unit receives hits from the Tamiya system and does not have 45 degree, or, slope defence; it takes hits from 360 degrees around it

I recall reading somewhere, which could be a faulty memory, that some outfits (not necessarily this one) require receiver placement in the commander's hatch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1906924  

Last edited by Glen B; 08-11-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it matters what hatch it is in. The important thing is that it is unobstructed from all sides. Some clubs have a height rule, but I doubt very much you we be excluded from play if you showed up with a sensor that was unobstructed.

I had a sensor in the loaders hatch when I was at Danville and no one said anything to me about it.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Glen B

Thanks, we run a number of Tamiya compatible systems at the club and have some basic rules and no one has a problem with this set up.

I am painfully aware, and am reminded monthly, how easily this set up does take hits
Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I know all about that. The Tamiya apple with it's fins has some defensive advantages. For me I just succumbed and bought a couple of Tamiya sensors. With the fact they are removable, you can just swap them between tanks so that makes them cost effective.

They are are consistent, mass produced with quality, and offer the defensive advantages that the DBU style sensors cannot easily achieve.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pull off the 45 degree with 4 sensors, you just have to be a little creative. If you still want an apple as opposed to placing them in a cupola via periscopes, etc, you just need to set them back far enough and narrow the opening with completely opaque material (IR works through some materials even if you can see through it. I had a sensor completely sealed in a 3/4" OD PVC plumbing pipe that read hit from 30 feet). Best case is to use aluminum tape or a few coats of paint.

I haven't tried, but I bet a brass tube the size of the sensor eye would work beautifully, just like the emitter tubes. You'd just need to figure out how deep to make it with trial and error.

Last edited by ausf; 08-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen B
I have a question, the answers I receive may influence a build that I have under way

The question concerns receiver placement, basically, is the placement in the loader's hatch of this Tiger I acceptable?

This particular unit receives hits from the Tamiya system and does not have 45 degree, or, slope defence; it takes hits from 360 degrees around it

I recall reading somewhere, which could be a faulty memory, that some outfits (not necessarily this one) require receiver placement in the commander's hatch.

The LED Emitter is much different than the Receiver (Apple) that you are asking about as what the title states.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Glen B

Originally Posted by Panther F
The LED Emitter is much different than the Receiver (Apple) that you are asking about as what the title states.

Jeff
Yes, I realized that just after I posted that.

Title has been edited/corrected on the top of the thread but I am not able to change the listing title on the forum.

Any comments on the RECEIVER position would be appreciated.

..............or, maybe I'll just put the receiver on the new one in the coupala and then switch to one in the picture, later.

Last edited by Glen B; 08-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.