Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Motors, Need Some Education On Can Length/Power

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Motors, Need Some Education On Can Length/Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motors, Need Some Education On Can Length/Power

My electric motor knowledge is extremely limited, so I need to ask this question.

I know typically, the longer can motors are more powerful, i.e. a 400 is longer than a 380, but are there any motors out there that are a standard diameter, but are shorter in length?

If there are, I assume they are more expensive.

My reason for asking is in case I want to try to obtain more powerful motors for low profile gearboxes where there is more limited room for longer motors.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Glen, I was wondering the same not too long ago... I'm not exactly sure either.

What I THINK is going on... is that 380s are what most gearboxes come with 'stock'... the 400s are FASTER.. and 480s have more TORQUE...

Can anyone else clarify?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well 400's are not necessarily longer than 380's. You can get long can 380's, long can 400's which is basically a 480. Speed and torque ratings are all relevant to the type and brand of motor so generalizing this really doesn't work. you need to see the specifics of each motor you may be considering to buy. But a 400 would normally be faster than a 380 but not necessarily have more torque. ETO has a very good assortment of motors that suite our purposes and I believe you can get a short version of a 400 to fit your low pro gear boxes. this is not a new problem. some one will have the answer so contact Bob at ETO he can sort you out.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to get technical, go here http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US...t_sitemap.html there is more about motors on that drop down menu than I could possibly type here.
In general motors are dirven by much more than just the size of the motor. You have the number of armatures, size of wire, how many windings etc etc etc. I am sure the mabuchi page I posted here has the answer your looking for.

Strato to answer your questions most stock motors are either 370's or 380's then you have the walterson gears with 385's. The 400 Promaxx motors I sell and the ones you have seen have both more speed and more torque, the 480's have much more torque.
I suggest you read the Mabuchi link, it really is a quickie to becoming a pro at understanding motors
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you building?

A bit of personal experience... My IS2 needed some stronger motors for battles and the power reduction that comes from damage taken. I opted for the 480 promaxx. That solved the power loss issue but the tank didn't have enough ground pressure to drive well. The tracks would spin the tank out. Then comes metal tracks and a hull plate for weight.

I learned what really needed to happen was gear reduction. A 480 is great if you are adding weight and better with gear reduction to reduce manage the speed.

I put 6v 400s (same size as the 380) in a M51 and had very subtle changes over the stock 380s. I think its speed is similar with a tad more torque. I was looking for more speed.
I have 480s in an E8 with metal tracks and hull plate and it is great because the of weight.
There are 6v 400s in my Pershing that made it pretty fast and out preform the M51 with the same. Faster than the E8 but less torque.
The PZ4 has long can 400s and metal tracks. Pretty good combo.

So back to gearing. Decide what you want, speed or torque. Then look for a motor that fits the space.

Oh I forgot one thing. You could use a 7.4 LiPo at 20C and achieve similar results. I wouldn't go higher than 20C. Plus the LiPo is generally smaller and lighter.

Last edited by Rustytrax; 09-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pershings are a tough comparison because there is a reduction built into the outer drive and small diameter sprocket. I haven
t had to do anything to my Pershing and it drives and performs excellently.