Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tammy Tiger 1 recoil continued

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tammy Tiger 1 recoil continued

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Andy Antipas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tammy Tiger 1 recoil continued

A while back I posted on problems with the recoil on my Tamiya Tiger 1. I replaced the recoil unit and made sure the alignment between the recoil unit and the barrel are correct. The gun will recoil correctly 2 or 3 times. Then not recoil at all or recoil but not return to battery. If it doesn't recoil at all, I can roll the gears to the recoil unit a little bit. The the gun will recoil 2 or 3 times again and then not work at all or recoil and not return to battery.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Its easy to take the lid off the Tiger I's turret. Could you post a video of this sequence of problems? Things to look out for include binding of the barrel on the mantlet sleeve, not activating the microswitch on the cradle, if the cam on the big plastic gear engages the metal bracket with a curved slot in it. If it all checks out properly, you might want to run through the diagnostics sequence on the MFU (check your manual for that) to see if it is an electronics issue.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Andy Antipas

Unfortunately, I installed spare track hangers to the turret, making the removal of the top difficult. I will check the items you mention. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy,

You might want to redesign the track hanger mounts to facilitate easy access to the turret via the turret roof. On our late Tiger 1, the top track hangers are mounted in the turret roof, and lift off with the turret roof. The track links aren't secured by anything but the lower track hanger pins and the top clamps. The Tiger 1 turret is a key maintenance area, as the barrel binds just about every time it impacts anything. It seems to always bend the recoil unit and cause a bind.

When I troubleshoot recoil issues, I always try to isolate whether it is a recoil unit issue, or a binding issue. To do so, I disconnect the barrel and clear it from the recoil unit. Then I fire the cannon repeatedly while observing the recoil unit (with the turret roof removed). If everything works, I reinstall the cannon to the recoil unit, and then remove the recoil unit motor. Once removed, it is simple to hand cycle the cannon barrel through a recoil cycle, feeling for the bind. I carefully bend the recoil unit until it cycles freely, reinstall the motor and test cycle. Nearly always, it is low in the rear (aft) section.

Also, be sure to check the zip tye used to secure your flash wire (right where it goes into the breach area). I've had that hang up before too (I had to rotate the zip tye)

Good luck.

Last edited by Jeff489; 01-12-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Andy Antipas

Jeff, more great tips. I will look into redesigning the track hangers so I can get the top off. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiger 1 recoil units always seem to find a way to hang up. Once you figure a way to make the top of the turret easy to access just bend the whole unit and bracket up or down a bit and she'll find
her way home. I usually have to throw some "fine tuning" every battleday or so. Also check the connection between the barrel and recoil unit if it's to snug it can cause problems as well.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-12-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two other issues I can add to the ones already mentioned. The metal recoil mounting bracket to the back of the mantlet can bend. Make sure the mounting screws are tight and that bracket and gun tube are aligned parallel to each other. Do not tighten the recoil unit screw that holds the gun breach either. Do secure it with Loctite or CA. The back of the recoil unit also binds on the metal brace the runs across the turret ring. I trim it down for my builds and it can be bent in place if already built. Try loosening the center bolt in the recoil too. I do recommend a piece of tape of dab of glue for the nut on the other end as they often fall out. Each of these things add to make the recoil slow or unreliable. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver webbie 4-13 044.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	784.9 KB
ID:	1957164  

Last edited by thecommander; 01-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Andy Antipas

More great tips. Thank you!