Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

How would a multi turreted vehicle be treated in an IR battle?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How would a multi turreted vehicle be treated in an IR battle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How would a multi turreted vehicle be treated in an IR battle?

I was just wondering this today. I don't know if there has been one ever put in use in IR battles, but would arming all turrets be allowed? Do you think that might be a bit unfair to others?

On a related note, AAF website's battlefield rules links are broken
Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

One TBU apple for every IR emitter, perhaps?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd personally be ok with it if you manage to be in control of each gun individually. Otherwise you can effectively create a mobile bomb from some historical tanks, shooting in all directions!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You might put a common reload timer as a limitation to having multiple IR emitters.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe Tiff Williams brought a M 3 Grant to a Danville battleday once, several years ago.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

This idea was entertained by myself and others years ago when Danville battle rules were just beginning.

It was deemed a severe unbalance of the IR game.

This would be viable if other parameters like penetration, shell count etc. were available (like the Air Wars system)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its just turrets why would it be treated differently? to have 2 IR emitters would be unfair and I personally would NOT want to see them on the battle field at all. The rules should be changed if they already don't specificly say 1 emitter and 1 reciever per vehicle which should include all forms of attack/defend, mobile or non-mobile gun types or units ( I think it best everything start including anti tank guns etc )
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM
thecommander

NEAD would allow the M3 Lee Grant to battle. But it would be limited to the medium rating. It can have two emitters with a A/B switch to toggle between the 37mm & 75mm guns. It would have the standard 5 sec reload time for either gun but would only be able to shoot one gun/emitter at a tiime. The only tank we have not allowed to battle thus far is a IR equipped Sturmtiger.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Martellus

Originally Posted by thecommander
NEAD would allow the M3 Lee Grant to battle. But it would be limited to the medium rating. It can have two emitters with a A/B switch to toggle between the 37mm & 75mm guns. It would have the standard 5 sec reload time for either gun but would only be able to shoot one gun/emitter at a tiime. The only tank we have not allowed to battle thus far is a IR equipped Sturmtiger.
Curious... why the sturmtiger? Would it not function identically to say, a jadgtiger?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by Martellus
Curious... why the sturmtiger? Would it not function identically to say, a jadgtiger?
With the Tamiya TBU it was a 9 second reload time. The real Sturmtiger was closer to nine minutes.... than nine seconds for a reload. FYI...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmtiger

Now if it were a Sturmtiger II w/ 88 mm gun, that would be okay.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

With the Tamiya TBU it was a 9 second reload time. The real Sturmtiger was closer to nine minutes.... than nine seconds for a reload. FYI...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmtiger

Only the Tamiya Leo 2A6 has an acurate reload time as the real vehicle.

All the others are lumped into average light, medium or heavy catagories whether their gun could penetrate or not, which is more of a concern to me than reload time.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm, There is already so many things that aren't very prototypical on an IR battle field, it seems unusual to pick on the poor sturm because of its reload time, and then tolerate all the other inaccuracies.

However I don't want to get in that debate again and chase the rabbit down that hole

Multi-turreted tank One emitter, one TBS, where the heaviest caliber sets the class, and then go have some fun.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 AM
karel47

am agree dan, one emitter one Tbs

even when such a vehicle was real wich it wasn't i won't shoot several guns at a time, rather shoot one gun after another ... not very realistic multiple turret because of weight isseu's in real time look at the jagdtiger one heavy gun was more then enough

i find the distance also into account has to be in tankbattle, but how to set that up ...

i held last year in plumbridge (B) tankbattle with a fellow BTB'er with tamiya TBU's , mine a king tiger and his a panther g it was fun , we had a whole footbalfield between us ... was harder to hit you had to measure with your eyes the real angle to shoot it ... a few mm to high would result in a meter to high at the end although we had fun that is tankbattle ... a pity distance was't into account or my king tiger could outclass the panther in distance ... some moments 60m was between the tanks that's in real x 1/16 1km , as you see a king tiger could place deadly hits at 3000m that would be 180m in our scale an enormous distance
we do it this year again, the leo 2A6 is ready to destroy his prey's, the quick turret rotation and moving speed would be an advantige ... i hope so

i think at that location we can reach out 90m , gonna try to hit another tamiya ... would not be easy my leo isn't with a computer controled firesystem rested

Last edited by karel47; 04-01-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 AM
reyemmanuel

-perhaps querulously accepted onto the scale battlefield

II don't know if there has been one ever put in use in IR battles, but would arming all turrets be allowed? Do you think that might be a bit unfair to others?
Hi mate, i guess it all depends on who your playmates are. As for fairness, i guess you wont have playmates in the long run if all those turrets fire.

But on the other hand, with IR battles dragging down the "rc scale armour modelling world" towards the "realm of toy avenue"...anything goes.

Unless a consensus is arrived at upping up the IR side of things, i would do what makes you stay in this hobby, else risk falling out.

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 04-01-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The is2 and jag tiger's reload time should be closer to 20 seconds with the 2 part amo......just alittle fyi
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Martellus

I understand that, but it doesn't seem fair when you count that all guns do the same damage
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of the Sturm, personally, I'd treat it like a regular heavy, disadvantaged due to lack of gun mobility. If the long reload is taken into account, then the shot it gets off should be a outright kill. It may take 9 minutes to get that shell in there, but when it rains down on your turret roof, there wouldn't be much left.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
thecommander

I understand that, but it doesn't seem fair when you count that all guns do the same damage
We really can't change that... but we can take into account the tanks durability (armor) and reload time...light, med & heavy. We do what we can with what we have.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by mustclime
The is2 and jag tiger's reload time should be closer to 20 seconds with the 2 part amo......just alittle fyi
With a six man crew, even with a two part ordnance, I doubt it too very long at all to reload the 128 mm JT gun Scot. If I see Otto Carius in July I will ask him exactly how long the reload time was...LOL.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Europe 2012 C 635.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1983584  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
TheBennyB

I believe the Sturm in question was trying to run as an IFA which was a problem as well. Chime in Bob, we thinking the same Sturm at Danville? I'd have no problem with multi IR turrets and one receiver...figure I'd just light it up while the operator is dumb thumbing which turret to control and fire. A Sherman Calliope has been fielded at Danvile and had 3 IR emitters. One in the tube and one on each of the outside corner rocket launch tubes. He ended up disconnecting the rocket IR's as he was constantly fragging his teammates with the wide shotgun spread that sucker had.
Historical accuracy to me is none existent in IR battles with these tanks. We try to compensate using variables during battles to slow things down, build teamwork (tactics), and put some stress on the operators but for the most part could just be a r/c truck with a battle system. Either way I love the hobby and the battledays/people and always like to see thinking out of the box and new challenges.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
I believe the Sturm in question was trying to run as an IFA which was a problem as well. Chime in Bob, we thinking the same Sturm at Danville? I'd have no problem with multi IR turrets and one receiver...figure I'd just light it up while the operator is dumb thumbing which turret to control and fire. A Sherman Calliope has been fielded at Danvile and had 3 IR emitters. One in the tube and one on each of the outside corner rocket launch tubes. He ended up disconnecting the rocket IR's as he was constantly fragging his teammates with the wide shotgun spread that sucker had.
Historical accuracy to me is none existent in IR battles with these tanks. We try to compensate using variables during battles to slow things down, build teamwork (tactics), and put some stress on the operators but for the most part could just be a r/c truck with a battle system. Either way I love the hobby and the battledays/people and always like to see thinking out of the box and new challenges.
As usual Brett, you hit the nail squarely on the proverbial head. I am in full agreement.

.... and yes we speak of the same gentleman.

Name:	Hammer Mario.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1983586   Click image for larger version

Name:	kellys-heroes.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1983587  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
karel47

Yes it was a kill, there is a story of a sturmtiger who killed with one shell 3 shermans on a citycenter that gives how powerfull this rocket could be ... heavy armor should have it ir blocked at front so no hit is possible, that for real you would have to use proper tactics to overcome this power, in real battle no sherman would risk a frontal attack at a tiger or koti or jagdtiger so why on our battlefield not ... its battle not a game afterall
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM
thecommander

Originally Posted by karel47
Yes it was a kill, there is a story of a sturmtiger who killed with one shell 3 shermans on a citycenter that gives how powerfull this rocket could be ... heavy armor should have it ir blocked at front so no hit is possible, that for real you would have to use proper tactics to overcome this power, in real battle no sherman would risk a frontal attack at a tiger or koti or jagdtiger so why on our battlefield not ... its battle not a game afterall
When a JT or Elefant battles we cover over the front 1/4 or 90 degrees of the apple fins so the front only is IFA (Impenetrable Frontal Armor). We try to even out the teams with one IFA for each team or not recovery allowed. We have also had 5 TDs/IFA tanks vs. all other tanks at Danville & NEAD events. They are a blast. I often offer my brother RC tankers a chance to fight with my JT. I have two Tamiya based custom JTs and now two Hooben/Tamiya Elefants. I don't know how many of you have ever had a chance to see a real Jagdtiger , but that armor is phenomenal. The APG JT had many direct hits. None of which penetrated the armor. Mantlet damage was finally its demise. Too bad it is gone. Probably never to be seen again.

Name:	Cannon Nov 2012 530.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	1983939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bretts JT.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1983940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 059.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1983941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 060.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	1983942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 061.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1983943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 062.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1983944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 063.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1983945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 082.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1983946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH110009.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1983947  

Last edited by thecommander; 04-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.