Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

RC Tank Website start-up....any hints to the helpless...LOL.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

RC Tank Website start-up....any hints to the helpless...LOL.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Tank Website start-up....any hints to the helpless...LOL.

Well I think it is time I start my own website. I've been retired 8 months now (where did that time go?) and RC tank & model work is very good. But I keep on being asked to provide a website. I guess it is time. I am not afraid to ask for help... so can my fellow RCU brothers provide any insight on getting a domain name; which providers/hosts they recommend or should avoid; any helpful hints too?

I am no " IT" guy and when I grew up a cursor was guy yelling "bad words" on a street corner. I'm not cheap so I don't mine paying for a service fee, as long as I get my monies worth in return.

Thank you all, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Thinking man.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1987290  

Last edited by thecommander; 04-15-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of domain name, search what you're interested in and you can usually tell if it's available. If you want to call your site US Steel, it may be taken even if there's not a current site, but if you're calling it 'Nothing but beautiful 1/16 Armor dot com, chances are you'll be okay.

I've been hosted bey the same service for about 10 years now, I don't really remember much about thow I went about it and even if I did, the info is too old to help.

Most hosts will register and re-up your domain ever year for around $10.

I'd search under web-hosting and avoid the free ones, you get what you pay for, but they're not that expensive. Mine is about $130 a year, includes everything you'd need, even setting up a forum if you wanted (can you say NEAD site?).

I can help you once you've got that far in terms of setting up for payments, but like I said, things have changed over the years, now I can scan cards on the iPad at shows, etc, stuff that was unheard of years back.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the hints Jeff. Our generation is somewhat internet impaired..... I just wanted to put out some feelers. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

You could look up http://www.netfirms.com/ they hosted a computer web site for me for years .

Jimmy
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello Bob

There's a lot to choose from out there.

I use Hostroute.com for my tank site domian, cheap rates. (They also provide some free space hosting as well)

And I use Webweaver as my website generator, basically if you can use MSWord you can use this.

Also use Weebly (I use the free hosting) as it is a drag and drop creation web service (offers free and paid services)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Marc780

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I wish someone would notice there is a shortage of American tank part distributor! (Ebay doesn't count! Too erratic and all the vendors are in England ). The only other source is aliexpress. They do have damn near everything, but I've been burned once (supposed to get a refund on that in 2 weeks-paid for goods never delivered). But who wants to wait 3-4 weeks for shipment from china?

There is I think plenty of market, if modest, for another American r/c tank forum. The only other one I've seen is "Detroit tank site" or something like that, and their site is a complete mess. Mostly dead links and forum doesn't work. So sure I think if you play it up right there's a market for your forum. Hell I'll contribute posts once you have it running! PM sent.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

There is Immortal Hobbies, IMEX, and as far as I know ETO Armour is partly American-based as well. So you do have Stateside options...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Marc780

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cleaong thanks for the suggestions. But Imax is basically heng long tanks or a tiny bit improved with near Tami ya price tags, immortal hobbies has too limited selection. We need an American ali express or at least an American welsh dragon type store front. I under stand there was Rccommand for a while until the sad passing of Phil. Now that he's gone NO ONE has tried to fill the void. I've been waiting a month for a transmitter box from England and is all I need to get my HL KING tiger going again all I have now is a ridiculously overbuilt 1/16 static model...on the plus side while waiting I upgraded the hull bracing, ripped out the tx01 piece of cap board that burned up after an hours use, rewired the tank for the new RX18, And even added a 25 mm evercool, 8000 rpm fan glued to the box, redid the paint and much more. BUT STILL WAITING FOR THE PART....ARGGG