Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fuse Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
macnjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse Question

All, If one was to use a fuse between the power (7.2v) and your electronics, what would you use? I am looking for a way to protect a Clark board for example. Thanks, Joe
Old 04-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Darryl Usher

I use a 10 amp because I had one, inrush blows a 3 amp, I don't remember the name but they
are in auto stores. They have two 1/4" spades and I used insulated female spades on the feed wire.
Darryl
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

You want something like this http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-FH16.html

Thanks
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0-FH16 fuse holder.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	1990810  
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
macnjam

Thanks guys. I was planning to use one of these with a 10 amp fuse. http://tinyurl.com/ms7ww27

Sounds like that will work...
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need 1 for each motor.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macnjam
All, If one was to use a fuse between the power (7.2v) and your electronics, what would you use? I am looking for a way to protect a Clark board for example. Thanks, Joe
Joe the fuse is for protecting against a fire in case of a short circuit. You will not protect the board in any way. If some FET blows then the fuse will work but the FET will blow anyway. Usually the transistors get opened and nothing more is damaged.
You should have to use a fuse to prevent fire in case few cables get together making short circuit.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcovalsk
Joe the fuse is for protecting against a fire in case of a short circuit. You will not protect the board in any way. If some FET blows then the fuse will work but the FET will blow anyway. Usually the transistors get opened and nothing more is damaged.
You should have to use a fuse to prevent fire in case few cables get together making short circuit.

Im not sure I agree with this, if you put a quick blow fuse between you battery and electronics then you should be able to protect it.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most mosfets "blow" from overheating
Old 04-30-2014, 08:55 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Im not sure I agree with this, if you put a quick blow fuse between you battery and electronics then you should be able to protect it.
The FET blow very fast mostly because they come hot or just because the draining current was more than the FET could drive. So there is not a fuse that can avoid this. The fuses are used to prevent more damage when something fails not to avoid the fail itself.