Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

JT's Mega Steam Smoke Fluid review (A Squad Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

JT's Mega Steam Smoke Fluid review (A Squad Video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default JT's Mega Steam Smoke Fluid review (A Squad Video)

Hey Fellas, this is the stuff

http://megasteam.com/index.html

Old Fatman posted this link, I ordered two bottles, this is the review of the smoke. As for the aroma, my nose hasn't been working right lately so they both smell like grilled cheese sandwiches to me (but that's OK, I like grilled cheese sandwiches) so I'm sending samples of both to Imex Erik on Monday so he'll give us an update later.

I have more video with different tanks, so I'll post those later. For now this is the Jagdpanther, which has my very best smoke unit, thanks to Stormin' Normand. If you're watchin' Norm, any tips? This is the 10 ohm one watt wire wound with the mini fan you recommended (still working great). I think it might be getting a bit TOO hot, so I might contact you to ask if I can pick your brain about those voltage regulators you've been working on. Those might also be good to slow the pump a bit, and maybe the fan, too. Running directly off the battery is kind of a lot of juice for both those units. Anyway, the other tanks that I'll post later are just using stock Taigen smoke units (the clear ones).

As for JT's Mega Steam, I like it, I'm going to buy more. Thanks Fatman, that was a solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJJeHPedGCg
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the density of that

If they smell as good as I hope they do (to what they should) then I will def use this stuff
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Max-U52

OK, here's the rest of the videos, before and after with the T-34 and one with a Tiger One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5nTIAnIrG8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZJqse1hx0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck7tYjbAyVE
Old 11-22-2014, 04:14 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what were you using in the before video on the T-34? stock smoker and fluid? upgrades to either?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Max-U52

Straight baby oil in the T-34 before shot (Johnson's) and both the T-34 and the Tiger have stock Taigen smoke units. The clear ones.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
philipat

Cool...the new fluid looks a lot better. But, you'll need to swap the Jagdpanther and T-34's smoke boxes. The T-34's output looks about right for an old gasoline engine, but the jagd's is clearly for an old diesel engine in terms of volume and such. German tanks were all gasoline and the Soviet tanks were diesel. Either way, though, looks like Megasteam's fluid is much better. I may have to look at putting smokers back into my tanks. Have the Taigen stock smokers been pretty reliable?

The smoking is a bit of a gimmick, but it's fun.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Max-U52

Yes, the Taigen units are much better than the opaque HL units. Did you see that T-34 video I posted? That thing had some serious smoke. The thing about the JP is that once you get it outdoors it's a whole different story, and out there the JP looks pretty good. I've got some video and once I get it on youtube I'll post it and then you can better see what I mean. And then, like you say, it's pretty much just a gimmick so if it's not quite historically accurate I'm OK with that. The JP is a fictitious tank anyway. I just like being able to see it clearly, and if I need to be accurate I just turn it off. And of course the nephew thinks the more smoke the better, and when do the flames shoot out, Uncle Gary?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 AM
philipat

Watched all four videos. Nephews and kids are good for gimmicks.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gary; I've been closely watching your threads about that smoke fluid...The results are very interesting: It seems to be producing more smoke per Watt than the water based fluids and baby oil...

Have you ran your units long enough to notice any fluid residue accumulating in the exhaust pipes ?

That's a problem common to the water based fluid and even to baby oil ; to a lesser degree...
Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 AM
Max-U52

There's my Guru! I'm really glad you posted, Norm.

Yes, this stuff does seem to give better smoke and no, I haven't run one long enough to check for residue, but according to the bottle these are not water based, but petroleum based. I can look more closely when I get home from work.

I think it would be a very good idea for you to pick up a bottle to mess around with.

And in the meantime, if there's anything you think I should try or anything in particular that you want to see photos or videos of just let me know. This Grasshopper hasn't quite walked the rice paper yet, but I think we're getting closer.

Gary
Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 AM
strmnd54

I would certainly order some if I could; but I don't think they ship to Canada:

Orders are shipped via USPS First Class Mail or Priority Mail (depending on order size/ package weight). Large orders ship via UPS Ground. Please allow about 1-2 weeks delivery time. Most orders ship either same day or next day, depending on when the order is placed. RETURNS FOR DAMAGED MERCHANDISE ONLY. We accept sales to the US at this time. Due to restrictions, WE CANNOT SHIP TO INTERNATIONAL DESTINATIONS.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Max-U52

Hey Norm,

I can get a bottle and send it to you if you want. I'm going to order more for myself anyway so when I do I'll either get a small bottle for you or send you some of mine. If it was anyone else I'd talk about stuff like the price of the fluid and postage and all that, but since it's you don't even worry about that stuff. You've been SUCH a HUGE help to me that this will be a chance for me to do something small for you, just to show my appreciation for how cool you've been to this newbie. Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to send a couple of these 10 ohm resistors so you can give me your opinion on them. I'll PM you when I place the next smoke order, but if you want to go to their site and see what flavor you'd like to start with that would be cool.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 AM
strmnd54

Thanks Gary...I was going to order 2 oz of original cedar for testing....
If you can smuggle this across the border, I'll be more than happy to pay you for it...

We'll call this transaction " Reverse Prohibition "

I'm not much into ranting but this is a good example of one of the many problems with U.S. economy lately...

Here we have a good quality product made in U.S.A. which is unavailable to the international market due to some shipping restrictions...

If this product was copied and made in China; It would be available everywhere in the world...

It's a real shame...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Max-U52

I totally agree about the craziness of modern shipping. They give Imex all kinds of static because the tanks shoot plastic BBs. What a joke!

I'll order a 2 oz bottle of cedar for you the next time I order (probably within 2 weeks) and I will figure out a way to get it to you. With me being in Detroit maybe I can have someone hand carry it across and then mail it from Windsor.

And please don't insult me by offering to pay, my friend. Just keep those good tips and advice comin'!!

Gary
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a dealer in Ottawa. Been talking to him already. vcrtrains@igs.net Here is his direct e-mail and tell him Dean sent you. $5.95 a bottle plus shipping and he just did an order for Christmas...

Dean

Last edited by dgsselkirk; 11-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I can't wait to try this stuff. We were actually even thinking about getting some diesel and gasoline scents at one point. I will put this smoke through its paces, I love grilled cheese so I'm down! I plan on putting it through some stress tests and possibly even purposely overheating it just to see what happens. I have never got back a melted smoke unit with the stock components, usually the resistor burns out well before the heat gets too high, but extra tests are always worth it!
For real though, I do hope it smells like grilled cheese! My gf put me on a diet and I feel like I'm eating birdfood all day... I just hope the bottle doesn't look too tasty...
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
strmnd54

Gary

Thanks for the generous offer and keep coming with the good ideas...

Dean

Thanks for the tip....I will definitely try to contact this guy since the shipping costs from U.S. e-bay sellers are a bit high (Ranging from 10.00$ to 15.00$ U.S.)

Erik

I agree with you about the resistance to heat of the original H.L. smoke unit...In all the modifications I've done so far to improve the unit; I've stuck with the smoke chamber...

Talking about modifications:

Here's a small preview of the last edition of my Acoustic smoker...( I plan to post the full mod. on this forum this week, once I get all my pictures in order)

First, a picture comparing the size of the new smoker with the H.L.

Then, this short test video of the unit running with baby oil and hooked-up to a TBS mini with Panzer IV sound files

http://youtu.be/1VW7kfJrnD8?list=UUoWjHTJi7Z1uGnVnrbH3GxQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0155.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2049933  
Old 12-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik did you ever get any of this? Does anyone have confirmation about how much it actually smells like diesel?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 AM
philipat

Looks like there might be a source for this for our friends across the pond. Don't know if shipping between UK and Canada is any better in terms of customs duties, maybe...

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/20...uid-for-tanks/
Old 12-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Martellus
Erik did you ever get any of this? Does anyone have confirmation about how much it actually smells like diesel?
Erik has samples, but he's been busy as a one-legged-man in a butt-kickin' contest lately.

My nose still isn't the best, but I do like the Christmas Pine. I can't really tell about the diesel.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes I do have them but won't get to fully test them until next week. I have been so busy lately I barely have time breathe here! They do both however smell pretty close to the same for me, maybe it is different when they burn.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Chariot1

Hi all. I am Really new to RC Tanks, so, please forgive me if this is a stupid newbe question, but here it goes. Will this smoke fluid work in the Stock Smoke Unit in my Taigen Sherman? Thanks,
Wekz
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 AM
Max-U52

Yes, it will. And there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Chariot1

Thank You So Much. I'm gonna order today. Gonna try to post photos of my Sherman. I attempted to do some detail and weathering,
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM
ToXic_U4ia

Bought a bottle from my LHS.
Put 'er in my Henglong proportional smoker.
Not a night and day difference. Produces more voluminous smoke.
Very happy with it, and my house smells like pine trees!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.