Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya full option sherman need help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya full option sherman need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM
RichJohnson

Received 375 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Tamiya full option sherman need help

So to get into this I bought a built one on eivlbay ready to install a battle system. (I have an old dmd non option I have made into an E8 76)

I installed a dx5e radio in it and had planned to use channel 5 the landing gear switch (which I converted to a button) to fire the gun.
So Im confused. I have the tank running normal, and have the turret rotation and barrel elevation working, and figured out I can tap down and fire the machine gun, but I cant get the main gun to fire, and I want to know how to move the main gun firing over to channel 5 so I can use the button. Several years ago when I first started this and got the dx5e on a recommendation to add the fire button.
At this point I don't know anybody local any more in San Diego that can help me figure this out?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Rich,
The easiest way is when you set up the DMD per the Tamiya instructions, when you get to the elevation stick only move the stick about 75 to 80% of it's travel in each direction. Once you have done that it is simply a matter of moving that stick quickly up or down and you will be able to fire the main gun or the machine gun depending on which way you move the stick.

Originally Tamiya would have you move the trim controls to fire the main gun and the machine gun, but when the newer radios went to digital trims, it was near impossible to move them back and forth quickly enough for battling.

Since you got the machine gun to fire, you can try moving the trim control in the direction to fire the main gun and you may find it will work. But the most reliable method is the first one I mentioned. As far as moving the firing to the flap switch, you need to be able to mix the elevation channel with the flap channel. I don't have a DX5 so I am not familiar with that radios capability, but I am sure someone else here on the RCU has you radio and uses it for tanking and may be able to help.

I believe if you search the RCU or the web you will find the mod you seek. I think I read about it some time ago albeit for another radio brand, but the procedure is basically the same. As I recall they went inside the radio and wired the push button switch to the elevation potentiometer (pot), and connected it so that it electrically maxed out that pot in the correct direction to fire the main gun.

Good Luck in your quest.
Steve
Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RichJohnson

"The easiest way is when you set up the DMD per the Tamiya instructions, when you get to the elevation stick only move the stick about 75 to 80% of it's travel in each direction"

What do you mean by this, I don't know how to do what your talking about?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Visit Tamiya USA to Download The Tamiya Sherman Manual:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56014ml.pdf

Go to page 14

Or ask DAK: http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_TECH_...Room_2011.html
Old 12-05-2014, 06:38 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
"The easiest way is when you set up the DMD per the Tamiya instructions, when you get to the elevation stick only move the stick about 75 to 80% of it's travel in each direction"

What do you mean by this, I don't know how to do what your talking about?
Tamiya's MG and main gun are trigger by going past 100% of stick travel. This works fine with physical trim tabs, but digital trims are harder to manipulate in battle.

During initial setup, you move the sticks on the Tx to their limits so the DMD recognizes where they are. If you physically don't push it all the way up or down (on elevation), but leave a little space, in essence you are doing what a trim tab will do, allow you to go past 100% of defined travel, therefore triggering the guns.

I don't know if the 5 has user defineable travel adjustment or sub trims, if so, you can accomplish the same thing that way.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 AM
RichJohnson

Ok, I see the setup on page 15 for setting the stick movement John, it only shows doing throttle and steering, are you supposed to do the turret and gun elevation as well even though it doesn't show them in the process in the instructions?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must move all the channels to the limit you want them. This way the DMD sets the travel at 100% for each.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 PM
RichJohnson

Tanks for all the help guys. I got the MF working a lot better with the main gun operation now fires almost every time I throw the stick. I could probably tweek the digital trim a tad more to be more precise but I like it. I finished retro fitting the IR system into it tonight as well. I got the IR in front of the flash bulb and it looks good. What a pain to do to a built tank. I can not take any credit for the build, I got it that way just to start off quick in this hobby and see what is inside.

I have an older DMD non option that now I know what I need to order to make the upper hull rotate and elevate, I have a T-26 76W gun turret fitted on my other tank and it will become my mainstay when I finish it. It pretty much is like the Fury tank. if you want to see it go my profile models page, also check out my war ships.

Now if there is just an easier way to turn on the lighting system without screwing up my digital trim settings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_3118.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2052554