Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Old Fatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long Sherman

Hi Tank Gurus:

I love my Heng Long Sherman (105). However it's just a tad fast for my carpet crawling.

Tried ordering 8 tooth pinions online to attempt a mod per an older post. They sent 10 tooth pinions.
Had to go to separate website to submit a "Dialogue" regarding the problem. What's with that?

After several tries they emailed a return form. I filled it out and returned the items and haven't
heard didley since then. Can't tell if they are just slow, intentionally dragging their feet or just
plain dishonest. I'll wait another week or two and notify the credit card company.

Caveat Emptor.

Tempted to try the additional gear trick I saw in the back pages if I can find the gears.

Had sticker shock on International Shipping! Cost of shipping from Australia is more than my
Social Securtity. Even though Tanks are of prime importance, I've got to have something left for rent and food.

Glad to see that the Super Steam was a success for some of you.

Another possible cross over from model trains is speakers. Trains sounds are mostly low frequency
and the speakers in model locomotives are biased for low frequencies and range from small to super small.
O gage or 1 gage should be about the right size unless you want multiple speakers and then HO or even
N scale might be the ones.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Tell us more about speakers. Got any examples? Photos? Videos? We ain't picky.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Green Amphibian

Oh yes we are pickey, that is why we are interested in new smaller speakers!

Herman
Old 12-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Old Fatman

HI maxu52,Green Amphibian:

Sorry guys, it's been awhile since I fooled around with this stuff. I sold most of my trains when we had to downsize, so I don't have access to it anymore

The local hobby shop is gone. Couldn't compete with the internet. Kids now days only want to play computer games.

I don't even own a digital camera and probably couldn't get the pictures online even if I did.

Do a search for "Model Railroad Speakers" and you will turn up a lot of suppliers. I use Internet Explorer and it comes up with a "Pictures of Model Railroad Speakers" site that shows a ton of images. You can click on the "go to site" at the bottom left of each image and it will send you to the suppliers site.

I'm sure if you check out several sites you can find what you are looking for. As I recall I got some very inexpensive speakers that were great. Small enough to fit and nicely biased to the base frequencies. Much better than anything Radio Shack had at the time.

You might also check out any model railroad forums. Model Railroaders like to tinker just as much as tankers!

Sorry I can't be of more help. If I come across anything else I'll post it here

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Old Fatman

Hi maxu52 & Green Amphibian:

Checked with a train nut acquaintance and he suggested Ulrich models which sounded familair. Check under http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/...n-Speakers-and- Enclosures-cln-Bass-Enhanced-8- Ohm/Categories. I think I got that right but don't know why some of it is in blue and some and some not. If I click on it, it doesn't go there but he swears that's the place. Go figure!

Hope you guys can figure it out.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question

Is this it?

http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/StoreFront

Then on the left select speakers and enclosures? Looks like most of them are 8 OHM.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Old Fatman

Hi Panther F:

Yes, that's the one. I'm sure a search will turn up more but Ulrich is a good place to start
If you have the room the speakers with enclosures and are Bass biased give the best results. Remarkable sound for the size.

If you have a local hobby shop/train store, I'd try that first. My favorite local shop closed and I really miss it. It was great to drop in,
have a chat, meet old friends and pick up a few bits and pieces. Plus you can learn a lot from the owner and other enthusiasts.

I can't complain though, folks on this forum are great and it's a terrific place to hang out (it's never closed).
You can certainly learn a lot. Plus you get to see the incredibly detailed work of so many talented builders.

Once I get the Sherman's speed under control (Still looking for 8 tooth 48 pitch pinions, 2.3mm hub) and the 10 ohm resister for the turret traverse,
a new speaker w/enclosure is on the list. Would like to go with Darkiths HL unit as well, but it's a bit pricy for now.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Just btw I have a few .5 mod pinions I ordered just for kicks, the variance between 48P and .5 mod is pretty small, maybe they would work on the normal gearboxes. It sure is easier to find them that is for sure. The mesh looks ok, but not perfect. I will test them to see if they cause harm to the gears soon.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Old Fatman

Hi Imex-Eric:

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that the 48p have been used as a substitute for the .5 mod in helicopter tail rotors (seems like that would involve higher rpm and lighter loads) and wondered if the reverse was true as well.

Great that you will be testing them out. Will you be selling the 8 tooth pinions if the results are good?

I know it's not the same as an high quality steel 3:1 or 4:1 gearbox but I'm hoping it will hold up OK on my lightly used carpet crawler with plastic gears.

I love this forum and am really grateful for all of the fantastic help members provide.

Thanks again Imex-Eric

Old Fatman
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi,

I order the 8T pinions here, they work fine for HL and or Tamiya motors: http://mitosal.com/HopUpGear.htm

A favorite model, this HL Sherman 75mm (Nick's resin mantlet-barrel kit) uses the Impact pinion gears and Tamiya Pershing DMD-MF Units.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 9.40.51 AM.png
Views:	227
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2055540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 9.46.19 AM.png
Views:	271
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	2055541  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 12-16-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Old Fatman

Hi Pcomm1.v2:

Thanks for the information. I've been looking everywhere for those and thought I'd found source. Wrong!
I haven't given up all hope but the handwriting is on the wall.

Gotta love those Shermans. Very nice model!

I've got to say yours is an Impressive stable of tanks.

Thanks again.

Old Fatman
Old 12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Was a stable, several collectors made me a builder. A decade of fun builds is now gone as of this year, leaving me with a couple of tanks and a happier wife.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Old Fatman
Tried ordering 8 tooth pinions online to attempt a mod per an older post. They sent 10 tooth pinions.
Had to go to separate website to submit a "Dialogue" regarding the problem. What's with that?

After several tries they emailed a return form. I filled it out and returned the items and haven't
heard didley since then. Can't tell if they are just slow, intentionally dragging their feet or just
plain dishonest. I'll wait another week or two and notify the credit card company.
Unfortunately it's stuff like this that has lead a lot of guys to institute the rule - No Paypal, No Sale!

Have you tried the 4 shaft gearboxes? I run them in most of my tanks (all the heavies) and they really make a huge difference in low speed performance. Now, thanks to my buddy Erik, I'm just beginning to explore the wonderful world of motors. Naturally I'll post videos when the experiments progress, but right now we're waiting for the 360 motors I just ordered. They're slightly lower in no load RPM, but they have a lot more torque than the stock motors so I'm hoping that will give me even better low speed performance. I got two motors on evilbay for under $7 and that includes shipping, so I figure at those prices I can afford to experiment a bit.

Where are you, Fatman? I have some old zinc gearboxes that are 4 shaft so if you want to experiment with them I'll send them to you for free (if you're in the US so I can use the flat rate box), and I won't even charge ya shipping. But sometime in the future I may come to you for a favor for my family, with all due respect ...

I guess it's true, everything a man needs to know can be found in the Godfather films.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:17 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Hi,

I order the 8T pinions here, they work fine for HL and or Tamiya motors: http://mitosal.com/HopUpGear.htm

A favorite model, this HL Sherman 75mm (Nick's resin mantlet-barrel kit) uses the Impact pinion gears and Tamiya Pershing DMD-MF Units.

John

That's a great looking Sherman. Can you tell us a bit more about the camo paint job? Is that modeled on an actual tank, and if so, what theater and time frame? I think the Sherman is one tank that definitely looks better in camo. One of these days I WILL build a Sherman and I don't want it to be plain drab green so I study camo paint jobs whenever I can.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Old Fatman

Hi Pcomm1.v2

My wife threatened to kill me if I died and left her with my considerable Lionel and LGB train collection and basement filling Lionel layout.

When we had to downsize 10 years ago I sold off most of my stuff which saved her the indignity of having to kill me after I was already dead.

A happy wife is a happy life.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Old Fatman

Hi maxu52:

Check out http://www.missing-lynx.com/index.htm for some Sherman camo paint jobs. I know they're models but a search of several tank museums has only
turned up various shades of Olive Drab. There are several YouTube documentaries on the Sherman, you might check there also. Good viewing and lots of
interesting information even if you don't find what you are looking for. Sadly a lot of historical photos/films are in black and white which only give the patterns
and not the colors.

Hope this helps,
Old Fatman
Old 12-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by maxu52
That's a great looking Sherman. Can you tell us a bit more about the camo paint job? Is that modeled on an actual tank, and if so, what theater and time frame? I think the Sherman is one tank that definitely looks better in camo. One of these days I WILL build a Sherman and I don't want it to be plain drab green so I study camo paint jobs whenever I can.
Hi, Kinda based on a Sherman 75mm from the 756th Tank Battalion, 5th Army, Italy, February 1944. The pictures should explain this easy build and super fun backyard infrared battle tank. And I like the HL white gearboxes, they run smooth and silent and low cost to replace, which for me is a rare occurrence. John

Paint Spec:
After disassembling the HL Sherman, I used Tamiya Olive Drab for some color modulation and lightly over sprayed the factory Sherman paint.
Then sprayed Tamiya Tan (USAF) to freehand the camo pattern.
My little niece loves to run this tank, so no weathering per her mil spec orders, of course.
Tip: Use your air brush or even just Tamiya spray cans for this simple paint job.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DMD-setup.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2055871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevation-unit.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2055872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman-75MM-DMD-package.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	2055873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turret_TBU.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2055874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mantlet-75mm-Barrel.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2055875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camo-75mm.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2055879   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Right-v2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2055881   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Left-front-yard.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	2055886  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 12-17-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Max-U52

Does the Sherman use 48mm or 58mm axle shafts?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Old Fatman
Hi Pcomm1.v2

My wife threatened to kill me if I died and left her with my considerable Lionel and LGB train collection and basement filling Lionel layout.

When we had to downsize 10 years ago I sold off most of my stuff which saved her the indignity of having to kill me after I was already dead.

A happy wife is a happy life.

Cheers,
Old Fatman
She didn't threaten me, exactly, just said she did not want her house looking like a toy tank farm anymore, pretty much the end of that story.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Pcomm1.v2

I cannot check the axels, as the Sherman is 30 miles away at my niece's house. Sorry.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
She didn't threaten me, exactly, just said she did not want her house looking like a toy tank farm anymore, pretty much the end of that story.

Mine straight up threatened me.... Now I work from the garage! I just had to downsize my car collection and she has no clue how many tanks I have here! I had to spend a large chunk of money on her for Xmas so she wouldn't get mad I ordered over $400 in quadcopter parts for my newest FPV platform I also ordered a new Fatshark FPV system to play with as well. I'm going to slap it on the tank and have some fun. I'll have to see what I can do about an antenna and cooling though, might have to save it for a bigger tank with more room. I was thinking about making a two person tank... having 1 control the movement while the other controls the turret and firing with the goggles.... Would this be allowed at a battleground?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Green Amphibian

There is a club that does that in Japan. Both operators are in a different room from the tank also.

Herman
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Mine straight up threatened me.... Now I work from the garage! I just had to downsize my car collection and she has no clue how many tanks I have here! I had to spend a large chunk of money on her for Xmas so she wouldn't get mad I ordered over $400 in quadcopter parts for my newest FPV platform I also ordered a new Fatshark FPV system to play with as well. I'm going to slap it on the tank and have some fun. I'll have to see what I can do about an antenna and cooling though, might have to save it for a bigger tank with more room. I was thinking about making a two person tank... having 1 control the movement while the other controls the turret and firing with the goggles.... Would this be allowed at a battleground?

I do not know what tank club fight rules would say about a two person tank, but I was thinking about doing this for another Tamiya Geperd Fakpanzer f/0 build: one operator for the turret, front & rear radar and guns and then a driver operator.
Though this model would not have an infrared unit.

I hear you about moving your builds to the garage, even with a thermal garage door mine is to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter months. So no way...besides tanks, I build rc buggies to bash with the kids on my street.