Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Main Gun Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Old Fatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Gun Report

Hi Tank Gurus:

Don't know if this is of any interest but, here goes:

Is it just me or does the main gun report on some of RC tanks seem subdued? I also noticed this in some of the videos of RC tanks on YouTube. My Trumpeter Tiger has a louder machine gun report than that of the main gun. Doesn't seem right somehow. In the YouTube videos of actual tanks the main gun report seems very loud.

Do you think this is because the sound effect is supposed to mimic the sound inside the turret as heard by the Commander (you the operator in this case)? That may be the reason for the shell casing ejecting sounds on some boards (very cool) being louder and clearer than the main gun report, at least as it sounds in the videos.

So, I was wondering if one of the small amplifier chips or modules could be added to be activated during the tanks main gun firing circuit to beef up the report. It would need to be limited so as to only affect the main gun blast during the firing cycle.

Sorry I don't know enough about electronics to offer any advice on how to achieve this (or even if it can be done). Hoping an electronics guru will chime in. If anyone can do this or has done this please post a tutorial.

I have far too much time on my hands.

Old Fatman
Old 01-06-2015, 02:08 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Volume of the main gun is really just economy of the system in the tank. Cheap speakers break up with loud bass.

High pitched MG firing may be the same volume, just sounds louder compared to the bass response of the main. Trust me, I've played bass for nearly 35 years now. For all that time, I've been hauling around piles of gear just to be heard compared to a guitarist. I would have to stereo two 200 watt bass amp heads just to be blown out by a single small 50 watt guitar amp.

If you want a loud sound, use a programmable sound system like a Benedini with an amp, but you'll always be fighting the size constraints of speakers to deliver the bass in the model itself. Without that, you could have the Benedini drive a speaker that would spill you beer when you fired the main gun.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Old Fatman

Hi ausf:

"spill you beer when you fire the main gun" Now that's what I'm talking about!

Cheers,
Old Fatman
Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM
armornut

cost is pretty high, but this guy makes the best cannons out there. The videos of the air wolf helicopter and the twin cannons is crazy.

www.maxotronic.at

I'm sure he would be able to do it justice. I know if I get my way and get that 1/6 metalbox panzer, I'm going to see if I get him to make a main gun for it since it's pretty small caliber.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 PM
armornut

A link to the video for his 1/6th 50 cal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcuk8xmaU0A
Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Old Fatman

Hi armornut:

Whoa!

I'm loving that.

I know I can't afford it but that's awesome!

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Old Fatman