Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battery Question

Old 03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Namerifrats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question

What's the average run time for these battery packs? Also, any good place to buy them? Wouldn't mind getting a couple extras eventually. These the same battery packs like the RC Cars/Trucks use? Are they interchangeable?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM
olegnA

Average run time for the stock battery is about 2-30mins. I bought mine on ebay.

You have open up a very good topic to discuss here. There are two groups of battery users: LiPos and NiMH.

I am still using NiMH just for the ease of use I guess. I use Onyx 5000maH - this lasts me more than an hour of running time.

LiPos are better but I am not ready for them yet. Many users of these will tell you the pros and cons.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 PM
sergeantseabass

average run time for a nicad 2000 mah is about 20-30 min or so. you can get them at your local hobby shop or on line. they are the same as they use in RC cars and trucks. But honestly you could just get some Lipo's for cheaper and you'll get a longer run time per charge. But if you don't want to thats fine but i would definatly recommend a new charger if your just using the stock one that came. That charger is ok if you only plan to run it once a day. Since the charger will take about 4-5 hours to fully charge the battery. The regular nicad should run you about 15-20 bucks US. There are a couple of videos that go over Lipos if you are interested. You do have to be a little careful charging them but that really go for any battery. You should never leave one un attended regardless of what type it is.

Max-u52 did a video or two on switching over to Lipos and Imex-Erik did as well. the bang for your buck is worth it since they are cheap on average then a nicad now a days. the taigen board can handle the extra juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffKJjhe8Yg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDFi89JyPZU
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Dropship Ace

Wow LiPos are more user intensive than I thought, thanks for the info. I was just going to plug'n'play.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 PM
sergeantseabass

Well you could look at as more intensive but really there are just a few steps that you want to make sure that you do with them. Use lipo bags and don't charge them while they aren't attended. They actually are pretty safe and reliable as long as you follow the guides to proper charging.The balance connector really makes all the difference. But just so it doesn't seem like I'm some kind of lipo nut or something
1. i do use both types Lipo and Nihm
2. i do pay less attention to charging my nihm than the lipos
3. Lipos are not that complicated but do require a bit more attention when charging
4. Both are still good either way you go
5 . Some kind of battery moniter attached to your lipo's this will alert you when the lipos are at a level that they should be charged at. or at least taken off load. this part can be aught for as little as 2.00 US
6 Nihm don't have to be taken off at any time and can be drained all the way down
7. There are a wide variety of lipos that you can get The size of these can vary pretty wide. If you have a battery compartment that they have to fit in make sure you know the dimensions of the battery compartment or at least the battery that will fit in. Most place that sell lipos will give you sizing of the battery
8. chargers really make all the difference no matter what you choose.
9. Used properly Lipos in theory should last longer over the lifetime of charges than nihms this is because most lipo chargers will have the ability to balance the batteries and lipos are not discharged all the way down to zero.

At the end of the day though just use what you like. both will make your tank run and gun like it should. i really am not trying to sway anyone one way or the other when it comes to batteries. but information is key in any endeavor you embark on. I hope i didn't overload anyone on this and I am no means an expert on either just info i've picked up along the way.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Dropship Ace

I think my almost predicament kinda highlights a problem with internet shopping. On the internet without research you drop money on a product that you have no idea how to use properly, I was just going to a high mAhs LiPo of ebay and just run it like a NiMH. Probably would have a mini meltdown. When dealing with a brick and mortar store there is a chance someone would have pointed me in the right direction.

But in the end, I just have to learn to look before I leap.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:56 AM
Max-U52

That's why we have the forum, eh? We'll be your brick and mortar store.

I also use both nimh and lipo as well as NiCad. The lipos are much better in my opinion, and they're small enough to fit in the T-34. Not to mention that I get much longer run time on a smaller battery. Any kind of electrical equipment poses a certain risk if you don't know what you're doing, but there's no reason to be afraid of lipos. Just a few safety rules to follow and you're in the game.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 AM
sergeantseabass

Thats very true. Gary has a thread on here about some of the Lipos that he is using and the different sizes that you can get. Basiclly only use the 2S or two cell size batteries. Keep the Mah to about a max of 5000. I don't know if you can go highter than that but so far everything that I've read and watched pretty much keeps that at your max MAh for your tank. and charging safety. charging safety.

Here is good video done by the guys at flite test that go over the importance of charging safety. This isn't meant to scare anyone away just keeping you aware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gobFcNzGG9I
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Max-U52

Great video, Sarge. Can I take a guess? You're an E-7? (Off topic! Do you watch any open wheel auto racing? There's a guy, Sebastian Bordais {sp?}, that the other driver's call Seabass. Not a fan of him, myself, but I won't hold it agin ya)

Number one thing learned and new rule - never charge without the balance plug hooked up! I'm working a bit more on the easy safety thing, and I'll update that later in the lipo thread.

Another thing to point out that's good for us - a large number of the problems the flyboys have with lipos is due to crashes, and we don't have that worry.

Gotta go get that bag of sand out of the garage. Good thing I bought two when I got the sand for the woodburner in the garage.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea lipos aren't too terrible but but you need to read up on them. A good site I always recommend is http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/ as you can't really go wrong there. NIMH are still safer currently, but lots of research is being made into safer alternatives. In our tanks they aren't really needed, a large NIMH is plenty fine. If you want to use them just read up first. (also before buying a new battery, measure the space you have in the tank so you can see how big you can get)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:02 AM
sergeantseabass

Well to keep off topic
one yes I am an E-7.
two I don't watch to much open wheel racing and the name actually come from my best friend back in PA and the long lost days of Waveracer on the N64. I can't remeber exactly where it came from but I've had that handle for at least the last 15-20 years. i add the sergeant to it when I couldn't get the regular handle on a game and just kept it.

Very true about the batteries and the flyers out there. alot of damage and problems that they can have from the batteries are due to impacts and no so go landings. Tanks with their relativly slow speed and the ability to stay on the ground tend to not have those problems.

I think I'll end up repurposing one of my ammo cans to make a descent charging area. Once I do I'll post it up. Probably on your lipo thread
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Merganser

I use my barbecue as a bunker for charging lipos during warm weather. Sipping two beers is about right for a full charge with a good charger. I also picked up a tabletop barbecue for indoor winter use along with a battery bag in an abundance of caution. The barbecue can lead to an interesting answer when someone asks "What's cooking". jot
Old 03-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Max-U52

I've been charging on top of the stove. I have a self cleaning oven so as a last resort I could chuck the steel box in the oven and lock it and then it can withstand way more heat than a lipo puts out.

And Erik, I know nimhs are plenty fine for tanks, but for the price of one 3000 mah onyx nimh I can get 3 2200 mah lipos and each one will run a tank just as long, if not longer, than the onyx will. And the chargers to charge 2 lipos at once were about 40 bucks, compared to the 90 I spent for the onyx 240 dual charger, that won't charge lipos (my lipo chargers will charge nimhs, though). You know what a cheap buzzard I am, so it should be no surprise that I'm going with the most economically viable option available! Hey, I may be a tightwad but I can at least make it sound fancy. Hmmm, "Economically viable option". I like that. Next time your GF complains about money spent on tanks tell her that after much contemplation and serious consideration this the most economically viable option available. See if that flies.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Panther G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to stick with Nimh batteries if you are new to any type of Rc vehicle for now. LiPo's can be quite dangerous if not handled properly. especially if children are going to be using them. you don't even want to drop one accidentally.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Max-U52 View Post
I've been charging on top of the stove. I have a self cleaning oven so as a last resort I could chuck the steel box in the oven and lock it and then it can withstand way more heat than a lipo puts out.

And Erik, I know nimhs are plenty fine for tanks, but for the price of one 3000 mah onyx nimh I can get 3 2200 mah lipos and each one will run a tank just as long, if not longer, than the onyx will. And the chargers to charge 2 lipos at once were about 40 bucks, compared to the 90 I spent for the onyx 240 dual charger, that won't charge lipos (my lipo chargers will charge nimhs, though). You know what a cheap buzzard I am, so it should be no surprise that I'm going with the most economically viable option available! Hey, I may be a tightwad but I can at least make it sound fancy. Hmmm, "Economically viable option". I like that. Next time your GF complains about money spent on tanks tell her that after much contemplation and serious consideration this the most economically viable option available. See if that flies.
Yea just trying to let him know it isn't NEEDED per say, just an upgrade the user can add if they wish. Also I kinda get a free pass this month as my bday is coming up so I've been ordering away Trying to save up for a new 3D printer though. Just gotta find someone who wants to trade a few tanks for a nice printer and I'm all set Trust me, she doesn't even bother when I say batteries. So many things are battery powered in our house I just use the general term "batteries" and she is clueless.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM
sergeantseabass

Brilliant!! I've to try that. with a little on ein the house half of my stuff runs on batteries or his does i should be fine to use that same line. tell me what 3D printer you end up getting. that is one of the things on my "To get" list.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Imex-Erik

I'm just browsing for a cheap one atm for myself. I got rid of my last one due to size restraints (I need at least 8" on a X or Y axis) but this next one I'll be looking for a cheaper one if possible. If one of you have a 3D printer you want to trade for a tank you let me know I've got all kinds!
As for the batteries stick with NIMH for now unless you are comfortable with learning a few new things. Lipo is safer and cheaper than ever before but it still requires a bit of knowledge about safety before you start. Once you follow the simple rules you are fine Lots of guys here run lipo and I myself almost exclusively run lithium.