Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Hobbyist and New M4A3

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Hobbyist and New M4A3

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:00 PM
gregorygso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hobbyist and New M4A3

I picked up a Taigen Sherman M4A3 from IMEX's recent 'scratch and dent' listing. It arrived Wednesday but due to a crazy work schedule drove it for the first time today. The cosmetic problems with the tank are very minor, not even worth mentioning. Erik even called them 'stimulated battle damage'. I haven't run it enough to offer any conclusions yet other than to say there were no problems out of the box. I have not turned on the smoke yet nor have I tried the Airsoft canon. I'll be using this to get acquainted with tanks and to gain some experience, both with the hobby and some minor mods and upgrades. I may try to take it as far as IR down the road. Give me a couple of months and I will probably be planing my next purchase.

I have been watching the forums and gaining valuable info here over the past few weeks. Thanks to all of those that helped (but didn't know it.) I didn't plan on purchasing anything until after I paid a visit to Danville in a couple of weeks to see what it was all about. I'm still going to do my best to make it just to watch. But some extra finances and timing were too good to pass this one up. And thanks to Erik who was very helpful.

While I'm still new at this I can safely say one thing already: one tank is not enough!

Richard

Last edited by gregorygso; 03-07-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spell checking (or lack thereof)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Tanker 10

Welcome to the hobby and the forum, you've made a good first tank choice. I like my Taigen Sherman, it's a good runner. I did get rid of that simulated dirt on the hull however. Leave all of your money at home when you go to Danville or that second tank may arrive sooner than later.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Tanker 10

Welcome to the hobby and the forum, you've made a good first tank choice. I like my Taigen Sherman, it's a good runner. I did get rid of that simulated dirt on the hull however. Leave all of your money at home when you go to Danville or that second tank may arrive sooner than later.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorygso
one tank is not enough!
Richard
The name of my personal anthem!!!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Richard, and welcome. If you make sure to let Commander Bob know you're coming to Danville your experience will be much better. Bob loves to show new guys the ropes and he even has a couple of IR battle tanks that he loans out so new guys can get a feel for battles. Great guy, is Bob, so make sure to introduce yourself to him and take advantage of his vast experience in the hobby.

Let us know what mods you want to start with and I'm sure one of these guys will be able to point you to some good video before you start. I've found just about any mod is much easier if I can watch someone else do it first.

As for taking your Sherman to IR, I did that with a Tiger One and found the easiest way to do it was to just buy a complete IR turret. That may also be the best way to go with the TG Sherman as I've heard there are differences in the turret between the airsoft and IR, but I may be thinking of the T-34. I'm sure one of the guys will see this and give us the scoop.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

You have to have two so they can fight! 1st rule of RC tanking.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:55 AM
sergeantseabass

Hey welcome I got a Sherman from Erik as well off of the scratch and dent sale as well. It's a good runner down side about tanks is that they get lonely quick. Before you know it your going to hear that Sherman telling you that it has nothing to shoot at and needs another tank, and you'll listen because your a good person. Welcome to the fold. I hope to see you at Danville It will be my first experience up there to.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
gregorygso

Thanks folks!

raceeng18: I ran two batteries through it today and no problems. Quite happy with my choice.

mcovalsk: From what I can tell around here they seem to multiply quickly enough.

Max-U52: As for Danville, I'm 99% certain about Saturday. Friday will depend on my work schedule. I know I can't make Sunday. I've spent the last two weeks watching every video I could find. I will definitely watch related ones again before I start anything serious. Erik hinted as well that swapping the turret would be the easiest way to convert from Airsoft to IR. After that the next move may be to go Tamiya IR compatible. I've got an electronics background so swapping components doesn't bother me. Doing body work is a different matter.

edoubleaz: Yeah, I can only shot at pizza boxes for so long!

seargentseabass: Agreed that the Sherman was a good first choice.

As as far as my next project, I've noticed the gears sling a little grease back on the speaker on the right side. I picked up some styrene today and I'm going to see if I can come up with a simple enclosure. Watched a few videos where others have done it with other models, so figured I would give it a try.

Richard
Old 03-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the Fantastic World of RC Tanks...Enjoy!....lol
Welcome to the Forum
Old 03-09-2015, 03:59 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey Gregorygso i thought I'd just throw this up there. i'm not sure it there is a video for the Sherman. i know, I know you seen one video for gearbox covers on a tank you've seen them all. well either way if this helps great if not well it didn't cost me anything and i got gearbox covers so win win for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7MmzdUUbE&feature=youtu.be
Old 03-09-2015, 04:28 PM
gregorygso

Thanks... this is the one that inspired me to give it try. My free time is almost none existent this week, so hopefully I can get to it next week. If I'm successful, I'll document my results here.

Right now now it's not that bad but I figure it might get worse once I grease it in the future (especially if I get over zealous my first time around.)

Richard
Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 PM
sergeantseabass

I think the one that your thinking of the one that Max-u52 did. it is the same thing for the most part just for the Sherman. if i remember his is on a Tiger. as part of his hobby grade project. your right it isn't to bad at the moment (i haven't put any extra on yet either). but the sooner you do it the better off you'll be down the road. i look forward to seeing your success!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:03 AM
gregorygso

Opps! My mistake. Need to learn to recognize my tanks at a glance better. At least now I've got two general samples to go by...
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Gratz on the tank! Yea "simulated battle damage" I scuff tanks up way worse than that on my first runs hehe. It helps I have a stable of parts so I tend to be a bit rough on them. The Sherman is a very solid and strong runner, you will be very happy with it!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
kizwan

Welcome to the hobby, Richard! And congrats on the first tank!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM
gregorygso

Well, I was doing fine until yesterday. I learned the hard way that I need to keep an eye out for loose screws. Lost a screw out of one of the road wheels. I found the screw, but not the bushing. So I'm on the sidelines for a few days while parts are in the mail. But still have my sights set on Danville maybe Friday and Saturday if nothing else goes sour. I thought I saw a comment here somewhere to let someone (Bill?) know if new and planning to make the trip, but I now can't find that post. Was I dreaming?

Richard
Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 PM
sergeantseabass

Hey Richard,

Yeah it was me. I just got my off post dispatch approved for three days of fun at Danville! You should check out the Danville post on here it has a lot of good info for us noobs. I just booked my room up there at the comfort inn. There are a couple of guys on the thread that have made it pretty clear that even if you don't have a tank ready for battling that they will have some "extra" tanks ready to battle. I hope to meet/see you there!

Sorry to hear about the bushing. But at least you have a new parts on the way, And who knows maybe you'll evn find a part or two up at Danville. i hear the PX up there is fairly well stocked.
Bill

Last edited by sergeantseabass; 03-18-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add