Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Here's another part of the future

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Here's another part of the future

Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Tanque

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Here's another part of the future

Micromark has just recently begun selling this particular model but I've been watching small units suitable for home
use drop in price along with 3d printers. They are rife on ebay.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-la...ine,11921.html

Very interesting times.

Jerry
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 AM
Rex Ross

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry ...
Very interesting times indeed. When I was a kittle kid ---- OK, big fat kid ---- I had a neighbor who built models. Ships mostly. He had some high tech equipment too. A new $4 Case pocket knife and sandpaper. It was amazing what he could whittle out of a piece of pine 2X4 with that knife. In 50 years we might be able to sit in a room full of gizmos and just think of a tank we want and the gizmos will start buzzing and clicking and producing a tank based on our brain waves. I'm gonna think of British stuff.
rex
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Onondaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This unit looks very promising. Hopefully a metal cutting version is being developed/available?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Tanque

I believe many of them will cut thin brass or aluminum but the sheet needs to
be coated with a non reflective coating first. Anodized aluminum doesn't need
a coating.

Jerry
Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM
RichJohnson

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brass is commonly done by chemical etching, texturizing and clean through. Never seen it done with a lazer but that would be cool.
The hardest part about the technology of laser cuters and 3d printers is you need to be very competant in designing your stuff on CAD or your stuck getting others to do the computer work for you.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Merganser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon has several versions listed for about $600. The reviews indicate that you need very good programing debugging skills and many people are having to spend a lot of time tightening and adjusting parts to get them to work right. A few people reported having to spend a lot of money on after market parts to get the precision they were looking for. Sounds like RC tanking to me. jot
I will add that these units are less then a third the price of the Micro Mark and a number of people were quite happy with the units after they got everything sorted out.

Last edited by Merganser; 03-25-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
Brass is commonly done by chemical etching, texturizing and clean through. Never seen it done with a lazer but that would be cool.
The hardest part about the technology of laser cuters and 3d printers is you need to be very competant in designing
your stuff on CAD or your stuck getting others to do the computer work for you.
Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
Amazon has several versions listed for about $600. The reviews indicate that you need
very good programing debugging skills and many people are having to spend a lot of time tightening and adjusting
parts to get them to work right. A few people reported having to spend a lot of money on after market parts
to get the precision they were looking for. Sounds like RC tanking to me. jot
These are good and valid comments but the difficulty in using CAD programs would likely be also true when using the 3d printers everyone is
clamoring over. I suppose my point is these newer techniques will all likely require the buyer to learn a new skill.

It's why I don't break a leg getting a CNC lathe or mill; I don't feel like learning programming for my hobby. I've spent 32 years as a software developer
from mainframes to mid range and PCs and I still want to keep my hobby brain dead for the most part. Perhaps the next great development will be to be able to
plant new skills in our brains without spending a year learning them! Now THAT would be cool...

Jerry