Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Why Tamiya over others???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Why Tamiya over others???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM
R|M|D Photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Tamiya over others???

This is just for mere curiosity here, but why do Tamiya's have the "best of the best" stigma that they seem to carry?

To me it looks like companies like Taigen seem to be better built when you get one of the metal versions.

I see a lot of people run Henglongs with boards and metal upgrades as well.

From what I can tell they all seem to have about as much detail as well.

So why are they so expensive and coveted? What am I missing here?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:15 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been done to death many times, use the search facility and you will find what your looking for.....
Old 07-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Here we go......
Old 07-12-2015, 11:08 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mmmmm is this a troll
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
This is just for mere curiosity here, but why do Tamiya's have the "best of the best" stigma that they seem to carry?

To me it looks like companies like Taigen seem to be better built when you get one of the metal versions.

So why are they so expensive and coveted? What am I missing here?
Electronics, motive power and quality for starters. As stated, use the search function, this has been debated too many times
Old 07-13-2015, 03:50 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
Mmmmm is this a troll
YUP. Member for 9 years and only 24 posts. LOL

Jeff
Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best is the one that is in front of me, you or anyone else right now.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Onondaga

Don't feed the Trolls.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
R|M|D Photography

Sorry guys, not a troll. Just new to tanks and have a lot of questions. As mentioned in one of my other threads, I have my birthday coming up and am wrestling with whether I want to upgrade my pershing or buy another tank. I spent a few hours last night looking at different tanks and the cost differences i was seeing got me curious so I figured I would ask. My mistake I guess.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Why didn't you mention this in the first place?

Sorry guys, not a troll. Just new to tanks and have a lot of questions. As mentioned in one of my other threads, I have my birthday coming up and am wrestling with whether I want to upgrade my pershing or buy another tank. I spent a few hours last night looking at different tanks and the cost differences i was seeing got me curious so I figured I would ask. My mistake I guess.
In your original post:

"This is just for mere curiosity here, but why do Tamiya's have the "best of the best" stigma that they seem to carry?

So why are they so expensive and coveted? What am I missing here? "

Far too often we've seen people get on here trying to raise the roof by starting the old brand war and why X costs more than Z and we are not taking the bait. So now you know by our reaction.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2015, 10:52 AM
rivetcounter

Well if you are curious use the search facility there must be at least 12 threads all 8+ pages long and very boring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whilst there is harmony on the forum let’s keep it that way whilst you research in silence.

I'm with Jeff
Old 07-13-2015, 11:03 AM
rivetcounter

I have to ask, you joined the forum in December 2006 your first post was in June 2015, have you been hiding under a bridge waiting? 9 Years before you make your first post or is it a dead account that’s been hacked.
It doesn’t take long to scroll through 25 posts.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by Panther F
Why didn't you mention this in the first place?
Didn't know I would need to make an explanation for asking what I thought was a pretty simple question.

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
I have to ask, you joined the forum in December 2006 your first post was in June 2015, have you been hiding under a bridge waiting? 9 Years before you make your first post or is it a dead account that’s been hacked.
It doesn’t take long to scroll through 25 posts.
I have been in the RC hobby for many many years now, somewhere along that point I registered on here and just never posted. I haven't been on here in years. Well My buddy and I recently bought some tanks and the RC forums I frequent(Rccrawler and Scale Builders Guild) don't have anything on tanks so I searched out some forums to gather some info. When I went to register on here it said my username and email was already registered so I just used it. I also registered over on the RCTankWarfare forum and the World RC Tank Community on Facebook as well.

If you went through my 25 posts it should be well apparent to you that I am not a troll but rather just someone new to RC Tanks.

If that's not clue enough that I am not a troll maybe a trip to my Flickr page where you can see my buddy and my tanks and when I started posting photos of them as well as all my crawlers. www.flickr.com/rmd_photography

I have now searched as so many so rudely suggested and have found some good info, but my curiosity was genuine.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:03 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I guess that shows how tired everyone is on that debate. There is a reason it is endless, it all depends on what, you, the modeler want. Buy what you want and have fun. Just let me say at the end of the day you will have close to $600 as a minimum into any tank you own so really it has nothing to do with cost, and everything about what trips your trigger.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM
purplebrad
My Feedback: (1)

RMD, accept a bit of rudeness. these guys are experts in this field if you continue in rc tanks you will learn much from them. your question is honest, but as has been said it has come up several times and has led to contention. I have been following this forum for some ten years and there is a wealth of information. you should also check out rctankwarfare.co.uk. rc tanks, they are great, and expensive.....
Old 07-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, some things you just don't ask about. I found out the hard way, too. I once did a thread on how much it cost to build the HL Jagdpanther, never even thinking about comparing it to a Tamiya, but the argument exploded and got so hot no one even noticed that I bailed after the third post and never posted in that thread again. I was sittin' here thinkin', Dang, better not bring that up again. For some reason this discussion just brings out the cantankerous in way too many dudes.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:57 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by purplebrad
RMD, accept a bit of rudeness. these guys are experts in this field if you continue in rc tanks you will learn much from them. your question is honest, but as has been said it has come up several times and has led to contention. I have been following this forum for some ten years and there is a wealth of information. you should also check out rctankwarfare.co.uk. rc tanks, they are great, and expensive.....
Oh I am quite thick skinned. But I also call it as I see it and will point out to people when they are being rude for no reason. Especially to a new guy, sometimes it will make them think about their actions and it might save the next new guy that happens to make the wrong inquiry. I have already joined up on RCTankWarfare and yes, there is a lot of great info on both of these forums. I won't be leaving any time soon. Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Yeah, some things you just don't ask about. I found out the hard way, too. I once did a thread on how much it cost to build the HL Jagdpanther, never even thinking about comparing it to a Tamiya, but the argument exploded and got so hot no one even noticed that I bailed after the third post and never posted in that thread again. I was sittin' here thinkin', Dang, better not bring that up again. For some reason this discussion just brings out the cantankerous in way too many dudes.
Lol, yeah I guess so! But like I stated in another thread, your friendliness and helpful attitude have been a great asset to me. I have subscribed to your youtube channel and have already learned a ton from you via posts here and there. I wish more would be as polite and helpful with us new guys as you are.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll throw in my two cents here, in hope to smooth things over a bit. The OP seems like a good guy and I know for a fact, everyone who responded is a good guy.

Yes it's a tired conversation, but the original poster would have no idea of that. Personally, I hate the suggestion of search before asking a question, because you usually end up with out of date info or a resurrection of a ten year old thread where guys who are long gone are asked about their work. The question is valid to ask.

Yes, there was an unusually quick jump to accusations of trolling, but at the same time, if you look objectively at the phrasing of the original question, it's a bit of a challenge. Stigma implies negativity and can be taken as an insult. It could easily be taken as 'Why do you suckers buy Tamiya?, my ...... is better.' Again, I'm not saying that was the intent, but perception is reality, especially online.

Bottom line, as Dan mentioned, you're going to spend about $600 (or much more) to get to a reliable hobby quality tank, no matter what your skill level. How you want to get there is your personal choice.

Build what you love, love what you build.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

After doing this for a while now I have an interesting perspective.

i own a bumch of brands and like things and dislike things about each one. The best way to figure out what you want is go to a meet and look over the types of tanks available. IE kits, RTR and detail level, as well as if you want airsoft or IR batlle cappability.
Nothing helps you learn by seeing them all up close.
But yes, I know not every body has a meet close to them.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Rustytrax

With the fact that the Chinese RTR are not much cheaper any longer and are still not as durable out of the box, a Tamiya kit is the way I'll go.

To be honest.... the battlefield will have the broken wrecks of my Chinese tanks as decoration.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by ausf
I'll throw in my two cents here, in hope to smooth things over a bit. The OP seems like a good guy and I know for a fact, everyone who responded is a good guy.

Yes it's a tired conversation, but the original poster would have no idea of that. Personally, I hate the suggestion of search before asking a question, because you usually end up with out of date info or a resurrection of a ten year old thread where guys who are long gone are asked about their work. The question is valid to ask.

Yes, there was an unusually quick jump to accusations of trolling, but at the same time, if you look objectively at the phrasing of the original question, it's a bit of a challenge. Stigma implies negativity and can be taken as an insult. It could easily be taken as 'Why do you suckers buy Tamiya?, my ...... is better.' Again, I'm not saying that was the intent, but perception is reality, especially online.

Bottom line, as Dan mentioned, you're going to spend about $600 (or much more) to get to a reliable hobby quality tank, no matter what your skill level. How you want to get there is your personal choice.

Build what you love, love what you build.
You hit the nail on the head there, and no, I certainly didn't mean any negativity toward Tamiya. I have had (and still do) many Tamiya products over the years, some are spot on and some are not made well at all. I have never seen a Tamiya tank in person.

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
After doing this for a while now I have an interesting perspective.

i own a bumch of brands and like things and dislike things about each one. The best way to figure out what you want is go to a meet and look over the types of tanks available. IE kits, RTR and detail level, as well as if you want airsoft or IR batlle cappability.
Nothing helps you learn by seeing them all up close.
But yes, I know not every body has a meet close to them.
Unfortunately I am one of those that does not have any meets anywhere near me. Roboticus_Prime is the only one I know of in the KC Area besides a couple buddies with Taigen Tigers.(and all are Airsoft) And I haven't had the opportunity to meet him yet. I wish our WWI museum here had battles like some of the other museums had. If there were actual battles around here the small fortune I end up spending on RC Crawlers I am sure would end up going toward some badass battle tanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You hit the nail on the head there, and no, I certainly didn't mean any negativity toward Tamiya. I have had (and still do) many Tamiya products over the years, some are spot on and some are not made well at all. I have never seen a Tamiya tank in person.

Unfortunately I am one of those that does not have any meets anywhere near me. Roboticus_Prime is the only one I know of in the KC Area besides a couple buddies with Taigen Tigers.(and all are Airsoft) And I haven't had the opportunity to meet him yet. I wish our WWI museum here had battles like some of the other museums had. If there were actual battles around here the small fortune I end up spending on RC Crawlers I am sure would end up going toward some badass battle tanks!
Maybe we could convince 98.9 to build us a battlefield when they redo the grounds after Rock Fest. Lol
Old 07-14-2015, 01:37 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
Maybe we could convince 98.9 to build us a battlefield when they redo the grounds after Rock Fest. Lol
Lol....shoot man, I want indoors! Right under the big glass walkway where they have the Poppys would be perfect!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	poppies_girls_walking.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2109203  
Old 07-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That would be bad ass. Controlling your tank from an elevated position on the field!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
That would be bad ass. Controlling your tank from an elevated position on the field!
Yup, or even being below and letting other watch from above! Now if only there were more (are there any?) WWI RC Tanks we might have a selling point. Man I would love to have a little Renault or a nice big Mark V!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.