Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Questions about tamiya

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so the Schumo's can strip out the gearboxes, but they do provide a more realistic speed? I am in two minds about the reductions, but then again, I am running this machine mostly in very fine, dry sand, with the odd pieces of very brittle pine needles and dried leaves. I will keep an eye on what is getting into the tracks. Sure don't want to strip the gearboxes out early on. Ideally I would like to experiment with the original 'boxes in and see what sort of speed they give. I know that in sand it might be better to have some 'wheelspeed' to avoid getting bogged down but then having the additional torque from the reductions will minimize 'digging' at pull away. Changing to the reductions will be difficult later though.
I have read many posts where they say the Tamiya Idler is fine, and others say it sucks....so I will just put the Henntec in from the start anyway. It seems to 'brace' the rear hull anyway, and I like that, simply for support and strength. Some of the posts mention that with metal tracks, the stock idlers battle, but I have also read that metal tracks + Schumo reductions = stripped gearboxes, so will stay away from that.......for now.

Rob, thanks for sending the parts, will keep an eye out for them....regards
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

The fine sand will wreak havoc on your wheel bushings and axles. Grease meant to lubricate moving components become an abrasive paste once sand is added into the mix. Wherever they reach, they will cause accelerated wear.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:40 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cleong, I understand that, and am already looking into bearings, and making efforts to protect the gearboxes as best possible. Also looking at 'dry' lubricants as opposed to 'wet' like grease/oils. I don't have too much option, but with these preventative measures, I hope to cut down or minimize the wear and tear. Its only going to be running from time to time, and certainly not battling.