Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Stug III under control of IBU2 Base with servo recoil

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Stug III under control of IBU2 Base with servo recoil

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Stug III under control of IBU2 Base with servo recoil

This is old hat to most of you but as I'm slowly converting my non Tamiya ( and in one case an antique Tamiya) fleet of tanks and such to IBU2 boards I thought I'd run this up the flag pole. I won't be highlighting my painting and weathering skills as I have few.

This model is a hybrid HL upper / Asiatam lower and miscellaneous other parts. As I'm slow as molasses doing these things and my time to work
on them relatively thin I quickly grew weary of the fiddly stock HL recoil motor and its myriad of wires. So I decided to convert the thing to use a servo
for recoil considering I've got many servos in my servo stash( the 1/10 models use a bunch) and the IBU2 has a handy port for a recoil control servo.

I gutted the recoil body but kept the form as I wanted to continue to use the HL elevation unit. Once I cut out the unneeded bits I built up a mounting
plate. I actually considered putting to control arm inside the housing so it coil act on the barrel carrier directly but not wanting to have to engineer that I elected to go with the more conventional use of a servo with external control linkages. It looks a little 'Jerry rigged' but it works pretty well and has the extra benefit of being accessible. I did trim up
the mounting area to make it blend into the contour of the the recoil housing later but didn't take a photo- it looks pretty crappy, cheap in the photos; rather wish I'd taken a photo of the final installation...; I even contemplated painting it black but I wimped out on doing that and left it snow white...

Here's a video or two of the development and implementation of this mechanism. The secondary control arm is a spare servo arm that came with the servo;
I made a small brass stand off to enable the action of this component:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWOpk3jFgg

Below is a brief video of the implementation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbAqaZiDx5E

I adjusted the parameters of the IBU's ini file to sharpen the action of the recoil further after I took this last video above.

This screen shot below shows an intermediate value of these parameters:

Lastly, and I did this last year sometime but hadn't done anything with it. I nearly went cross eyed soldering a tiny led in the barrel , using fine copper wire for power so I could light up the remote MG 34.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNwRgxwzg0

Here's a photo of this from the side, I plan to conceal the wiring better.

That's about it; enjoyable little project.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	recoil_body1.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2146169   Click image for larger version

Name:	recoil_body2.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2146170   Click image for larger version

Name:	recoil_body3.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2146171   Click image for larger version

Name:	ini.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	2146177   Click image for larger version

Name:	MG34_led.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2146179  

Last edited by Tanque; 02-09-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That looks great, Jerry. I just put an IBU2 in my stug and if you don't mind I think I'll try to copy the MG LED you hooked up. What kind of LED did you use? Do you by any chance have a link to where I can score a couple?

Given the thin wires and the thickness of the armor plate I think I could drill up from the bottom and run the wires through to come out right where the MG mounts.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
That looks great, Jerry. I just put an IBU2 in my stug and if you don't mind I think I'll try to copy the MG LED you hooked up. What kind of LED did you use? Do you by any chance have a link to where I can score a couple?

Given the thin wires and the thickness of the armor plate I think I could drill up from the bottom and run the wires through to come out right where the MG mounts.
Sure go for it.

These are similar to what I used, I had purchased several colors to make column lights some while back. I did use a magnifying glass to see what I was doing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-SMD-S...gAAOSwFqJWndgN

I revised the link above. I dug into the type I used; these are SMT 0402 (1005) types. they are about 1mm long. I see you can find them pre-wired but I've not seen them with the thin varnished coil wire as I used.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 02-09-2016 at 08:49 AM.