Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Waltersons 1/24th Scale IR Battle Tanks!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Waltersons 1/24th Scale IR Battle Tanks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks!

Looks like I'll need to sell some stuff and pick up two or three. Now what to sell??
Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 AM
PanzerCmdr

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crxsidan85
I just received all 4 tanks and they look awesome. I just tried the Sherman out and the slow speed control exceeds my expectations. the sound is quite nice too. these tanks to me, are the best value rc tanks I've ever owned.
Yes, I'm still enjoying my Tiger. Love the slow speed, too, especially the turret rotation. Really cool!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 PM
cicerokid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik, just looking at these after receiving your email. Looks like from above posts they are being well received. Questions are; is the IR system compatable with the Taigen system (prob not but thought I'd ask anyhow)? Do you carry the optional 9.6V battery and how much are they? Any metal in the drive system? Thanks for all your help as usual---Ken
Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cicerokid
Erik, just looking at these after receiving your email. Looks like from above posts they are being well received. Questions are; is the IR system compatable with the Taigen system (prob not but thought I'd ask anyhow)? Do you carry the optional 9.6V battery and how much are they? Any metal in the drive system? Thanks for all your help as usual---Ken
Hey Ken,
The IR systems are not compatible between the two systems unfortunately. For the battery we currently do not carry them, but I will check into it soon. I do really like the option to run either type, I think that was a nice extra touch. So far no metal options are available at this time, but that doesn't mean it wont be in the future. I'll make sure to ask when I talk to them next.

On a side note I wanted to apologize for the incompleteness of our newsletter yesterday. I was so sick I could barely think but I had to come in and make sure at least something was sent out. The Leopard stuff was received yesterday and as a preorder item I wanted people updated ASAP. I make a lot of preorders for stuff myself and updates make me much more patient
The tanks have been checked in and updated on the site, the parts are being hand checked by myself in the next few minutes to make sure all parts are in good condition and nothing was damaged in transit. I will try to get another newsletter out today or tomorrow with another update on parts and maybe even an additional modern tank section added to the site Just give me a bit to catch up with yesterday's work and I'll keep you guys updated! If you sent me a message Tuesday or Wednesday I'll be responding today if I haven't already.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
cicerokid

Erik, hope you are feeling better!! Still undecided whether to buy 2 of these or another IR Taigen as I love the 2 I have. Get well and don't over do it. Ken
Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Cleanandserenesteve

I received my Tiger 1 the other day. I had to mess with the turret motor a bit to get it to work, but it was an honest production mistake. The only gripe I had with it is the suspenion. I like what they tried to do by making certain areas stiffer than others like a real tank, BUT this thing is too light for the springs chosen, so in stock form it barely articulates. My solution was to borrow some softer springs from another rc tank to make it more realistic and it worked like a gem. I also tried using my VStank metal tracks, but they are slightly too long and without a track tensioner they fold easily. My VStank Tiger has a tension system in the rear, but it’s barely adjustable. On the VS I actually increased the size of the idler wheel to accommodate the metal tracks and it works great.

The proportional speed is accurate and very true to the vehicle. That’s the main reason I got this one because I don’t want to convert another VStank to HL electronics. The sound is better than my VS with transmitter volume control. One can also control the headlamp with the transmitter, which is nice, although instead of a yellow LED I think they should have gone with warm white for more realism. The trim works great, which is a lifesaver on any RC really. Haven’t had a chance to see battle characteristics b/c this is my first Waltersons tank. The tracks snap together just like stock VS tracks, BUT they have a tighter/stronger hold without a doubt. I believe they are also made of a softer plastic for better grip. The paint and attention to detail is miles ahead of the FOV tanks and right up to par with VS (which is known for excellent weathering and paint work). The tank seems just as powerful as VS with the same slope climbing ability. I would definitely recommend this brand for anyone looking for 1/24 scale. Im hoping they offer more modern tanks eventually and metal upgrades like I mentioned before. Anyway, just my .02 cent so far...

Last edited by Cleanandserenesteve; 11-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:28 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good review, thank you!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:02 AM
PanzerCmdr

Default Still enjoying!

I thought I'd bump this thread up. I recently broke out my 1/24 Tiger to enjoy, once again. It still works like new and brought lots of grins to my face. I understand Taigen Tanks will be carrying some new releases early next year, the Abrams and the Pershing. Since I'm primarily a WWII tank guy, I have my eyes on the Pershing. I noticed, also, the first 1/24 releases are out of stock at Taigen and, unfortunately, increasingly hard to find anywhere online. I hope Taigen can get the first releases (Tiger, Panzer, Sherman, T-34) back in stock next year, too.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Imex-Erik

Yes we will have some if not the first releases of them back to the US. We will also have the Pershing and Abrams too, I'll post pictures when I get back after Xmas. I've got a video I believe of the Abrams as well if you want to hear the new turbine sounds. The Pershing is pretty nice though and yes I did tell them to make a Super Pershing
Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM
PanzerCmdr

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes we will have some if not the first releases of them back to the US. We will also have the Pershing and Abrams too, I'll post pictures when I get back after Xmas. I've got a video I believe of the Abrams as well if you want to hear the new turbine sounds. The Pershing is pretty nice though and yes I did tell them to make a Super Pershing
Thanks for that info, Eric. Glad to hear at least some of the first 1/24 releases will make it back. A Super Pershing would be great, too.

Any chance Taigentanks will be carrying spare parts, like tracks, tow shackels, etc. for example that come with the tanks? Spare parts for the Waltersons 1/24 seem to be hard to find online. I've succeeded in misplacing the tow shackles for my Tiger and i'm sure it probably won't be the first thing I'd like to be able to find spare parts for, especially if I purchase more of the 1/24's. I can find spare parts for the Waltersons 1/72's but not the 1/24's.

As always, thanks for your support, Eric!
Old 12-25-2018, 05:01 AM
festus105
My Feedback: (5)

Received a couple of these from overseas... great little tanks... one question... in battle mode how do you reset the tanks once they've received the maximum amount of damage? The only way we could do this was by turning the on/off switch on the bottom of the tank

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-26-2018, 06:30 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by PanzerCmdr
Thanks for that info, Eric. Glad to hear at least some of the first 1/24 releases will make it back. A Super Pershing would be great, too.

Any chance Taigentanks will be carrying spare parts, like tracks, tow shackels, etc. for example that come with the tanks? Spare parts for the Waltersons 1/24 seem to be hard to find online. I've succeeded in misplacing the tow shackles for my Tiger and i'm sure it probably won't be the first thing I'd like to be able to find spare parts for, especially if I purchase more of the 1/24's. I can find spare parts for the Waltersons 1/72's but not the 1/24's.

As always, thanks for your support, Eric!
TBH, in all the tanks I sold I only received 2 requests for parts, one of which was a manufacturer's defect and was replaced instead. I'll look into this but luckily these tanks are built pretty well for the scale and usage. The gearboxes are going to be upgraded in them soon too, I'll talk to Waltersons today and see what I can leek for you guys soon. I can't promise much this week, I just looked at the invoices this morning and it looks like we are slammed for a bit. Please forgive me if I'm a bit late on emails than normal as well.
Originally Posted by festus105
Received a couple of these from overseas... great little tanks... one question... in battle mode how do you reset the tanks once they've received the maximum amount of damage? The only way we could do this was by turning the on/off switch on the bottom of the tank

Thanks,

Ken
Yea that is it as far as I'm aware as well.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 AM
PanzerCmdr

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
TBH, in all the tanks I sold I only received 2 requests for parts, one of which was a manufacturer's defect and was replaced instead. I'll look into this but luckily these tanks are built pretty well for the scale and usage. The gearboxes are going to be upgraded in them soon too, I'll talk to Waltersons today and see what I can leek for you guys soon. I can't promise much this week, I just looked at the invoices this morning and it looks like we are slammed for a bit. Please forgive me if I'm a bit late on emails than normal as well.
Thanks for that info, Eric. Yes, I've really had no issue with the 1/24s, with anything actually failing on the tank. It's my own fault, with Murphy's law helping out, in losing the Tiger I tow shackle. Hopefully, I won't misplace anything else. I've taken the precaution of removing any tank accessories which might come off during combat, like the shackles. I did find a place, in Czechoslovakia, off all places, where I could order some spare 1:24 treads, though, in case I wear those out. My tanks get a lot of use.

Good luck with your invoices!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 AM
festus105
My Feedback: (5)

Default Batteries?

Source for lipo or nimh battery packs that will fit these tanks?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 AM
PanzerCmdr

Originally Posted by festus105
Source for lipo or nimh battery packs that will fit these tanks?

That's a good question. The 1/24's are obviously set up to take a pack in the tank, what with the red plug in the compartment, but I have yet to find anyone who carries stock Waltersons packs for the tanks. I've just been relying on rechargeable AA's but it means 10 separate cells per tank, when you include the transmitter. It would be nice to just use a pack you could pull out as one unit and recharge on a standard rc-type charger.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM
PanzerCmdr

I couldn't resist finally picking-up a T-34, to compliment my Waltersons Tiger. I'm glad I did! It runs as well as the Tiger and it's very cool that it has tank sounds completely different from the Tiger, even the machine gun. It sounds like something the Russians would produce.

Man, these things have become hard to find, though. I finally found one at a decent price at themotorpool.net.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:14 AM
Armour1944

There's actually a new F-book group for tanks of this scale now, FYI:

1/24 RC tanks