Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Star Trek is here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big N00b
The Pi3. Used "N00bs" to set it up as a Linux box. For the most part, painless...but my brain couldn't handle that and I think I screwed it up a few times. Fortunately, reset and start over WAS easy

If you're going to use it wifi style and need one, I used a netgear N300 (EX2700) - $30 @ Amazon.
The Pi2 in my printer has a USB wifi dongle. I think it was $15. The Pi3 in my robot has wifi built in so it is not an issue. Also stronger bluetooth. wifi reception through the house is fine with mine so I don't need an extender.

N00b you asked earlier and I am running the Marlin firmware. I am not sure if the Repetier firmware is any better. I haven't really investigated that. What do you know about it? What kind of machine did you buy again?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Big N00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pi3 has wifi built in, but my in-house wifi router is not powerful enough to reach the garage workspace with any signal strength which is why I put the extender in...works real good now...plus, didn't want to turn on blue tooth.

Only what you can find online about it. I figured since I was going to be installing the server and host pieces, I might as well try out the firmware, since I can always try something else. Plus it "looked" easier to set up the auto-leveling piece when it came to it...but that too will have to stand the test of time.

I have the same one that Jeff bought (NWREPRAP Prusa i3).
Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PETT at .05 or .1 finishes like the old insidious Xmas 'angel hair'. That shiny fiberglas nightmare from my youth.

You can't see through it like glass, but is it transparent. I grabbed it to test out some lighting effects and to use for RC subs, so I'm happy with it. I made watertight containers with it so far (using some epoxy on the ends, but paying attention to the pattern would work too). Also made some spheres for eyeballs that had a nice effect when a red or green LED is placed inside.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Big N00b

Sounds like some creepy Halloween fun
Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a DD-WRT firmware on my router, I'm all good there I got 150MB up and download speeds too from FiOS so I'm good there too. The gf and I are heavy gamers, We both have liquid cooled computers and triple screens (I'm down to 2 atm though!). I am however looking for some better home automation and would love a cheap way to turn my TV into a smart TV.
Also, I'll be running Android on mine for the smart tv, the automation will run a linux variant. Google recently announced they will be maintaining a fork of android just for the Pi 3 so I'm quite happy with that. I have been an Android fan since 1.5!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Big N00b

Two things: Nerd and don't be telling me about how you just jack in using the port in the back of your head!!!

Just kidding, must be nice - says the guy who picks up a 3d printer because he could (at the moment).

Edit: oh, and using Pi's for all kinds of things like that at $35??? nothing but net!!

Last edited by Big N00b; 06-23-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Big N00b
Two things: Nerd and don't be telling me about how you just jack in using the port in the back of your head!!!

Just kidding, must be nice - says the guy who picks up a 3d printer because he could (at the moment).

Edit: oh, and using Pi's for all kinds of things like that at $35??? nothing but net!!
Oh you haven't met a hardcore nerd until you have met me Everything I have is modded some way or how. Even my watch has a custom ROM and unlocked bootloader with TWRP. Also later this year I'm getting a magnet implant as well I use ALL mouse keys (38 total) for my G600 mouse, I have a 5 button foot pedal for gaming/vent, I make high power LED collars for my dog, etc. My gf hates me lol. The Pi is something I never got into but wanted to. I want a full home automation and unlocking via nfc or something close. I know Clark was looking to use a Pi for tank control too at some point. They really are an amazing piece of equipment for the price, especially the 3.
I do really like your 3d printer setup though, I had mine back a few years ago when it was still pretty rocky. I ended up spending more time tinkering than printing. I may have to try again with the new Prusa model coming out soon. You got any thoughts on that one?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never 3D printed but I'm pretty sure I can remember some basic CAD skills from college. Where should I get started?

This Prusa fellow seems cool, checked out the website & kits. Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Big N00b

Originally Posted by Strato50
I've never 3D printed but I'm pretty sure I can remember some basic CAD skills from college. Where should I get started?

This Prusa fellow seems cool, checked out the website & kits. Thoughts?
This thread was good enough to get me rolling. Every possible thing you may want to do or can think of is out there on the net, so plan what you want to do and find the pieces that make it happen - and you will probably find better pricing on the kits from the Prusa site if you are liking those.

The price on the kit (from Amazon) was good enough to me jump.

Good luck.

Terry
Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Big N00b

Later that same day: Erik, took a look and that was the new Mk2, found a roll out page and read about it - I'd say that my earlier ramblings were about right - you might pay less if you got the kit Jeff and I have and did each of those upgrades, but....it has it all for the current time, until the next great mod comes out

Be interesting to see if the newer software/firmware is compatible.

What's funny to me is that I have the stl file for those arms that are used on the spool holder - it'll be one of the first items I print in ORANGE also....spool is waiting

Last edited by Big N00b; 06-24-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:26 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I decided to take a try at this got a Hictop RepRap Prusa I3 3D 80% rebuilt for $150.00 on ebay don't like the Acrylic Frame parts to well so ordered a new steel frame should of went that way first for a extra $124.00 on ebay .
I am going to build a enclosure for it out of plexiglass and aluminum frame will see how it go's .

Thanks
Jimmy