Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya gearboxes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You all do realize that Tamiya sells gearbox repair kits, that contain every gear, shaft, and bushing contained in one Sherman gearbox (which, excluding the final drive shaft, is identical in most every Tamiya gearbox (barring the Pershing, Leo2, and Type 10))?

Price from Tamiya is $27(US). Still not exactly cheap...but better than a new gearbox.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 AM
yoshigt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. Did not realize that. Thanks for the info. Might just get a spare set.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff489
You all do realize that Tamiya sells gearbox repair kits, that contain every gear, shaft, and bushing contained in one Sherman gearbox (which, excluding the final drive shaft, is identical in most every Tamiya gearbox (barring the Pershing, Leo2, and Type 10))?

Price from Tamiya is $27(US). Still not exactly cheap...but better than a new gearbox.
Thats good to know, I had been told they were discontinued last time I looked into them.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:32 PM
danlrc

$27 plus S&H to replace just one or two stripped gears. And it seems the same ones tend to go - not like you need the rest of all those replacement parts.. And on one gearbox that blew, it was the final drive shaft that broke at that thin 4mm diameter spot. That part not included in the gearbox repair kit.
No, I really don't think gears are the way to go at all. Low efficiency, goopy mess, loud, heavy, a bit unreliable....
New mini-belt drive technology should work as a great alternative.
The loading data for a 6mm wide, 2mm pitch GT2 belt/pulley rig is way beyond anything needed to run a tank. At least I intend to test that.
No lube, no wear, no noise, no maintenance, lightweight, high efficiency....worth a try. And it takes up less space than a Tammy gearbox.
I didn't get good amps data on the comparative test cuz the Tammy box blew out right away. But I'm guessing the efficiency of the belt drive will lower the current draw overall.
Maybe longer battery life and maybe even able to use smaller motors.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to go for a belt drive solution Robert Tanzer from the world RC tank community has made some excellent belt drives. No need for multiple belts, just a single one with planetary gearbox.

http://youtu.be/y9g8JES1b6w
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM
danlrc

Hi Tom
I tried exactly that , a gear motor with a belted final drive. But with even a bit of added load (like climbing a hill) the drive would totally bog down. And I used a bigger motor tHan I'm using with the all belt Dr ive. I need to look more at the
Gear drive approach I guess.
In a couple weeks I'll be able to post results and pics.
Thanks