Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

m1917 tank blueprints!! Please help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

m1917 tank blueprints!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM
frijoles108

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m1917 tank blueprints!! Please help!

Hello guys, I have a thread going that i have not touched in a while regarding my construction of my m1917. As you knew, i was still working on recreating the tank out of measuring some crude printed out blueprints that are not that good of resolution, so it is very difficult to do. I discovered, to my horror, today that I had been measuring the length incorrectly, as the two views on the same printout were not the same length and therefore the entire length of the tank is inaccurate. Thats where I need help. I can keep using the printed out low res blueprints, but I would really prefer to have some better blueprints for my measuring purposes. They do not need to be sized to 1/16th scale, but I would love some really nice blueprints as I have searched the internet in the wake of my mistakes, and I cannot find any other blueprints than the crappy ones I have. If anyone can discover some good blueprints of the m1917, not ft17 as it is really different from the m1917, please share them with me, or let me know if you know where i can buy some!!
Thanks,
Ben
Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't the M1917 a copy of the Ft-17?

Try this though the sizes are in mm-

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWI/ft17/ft17_1x35.gif
Old 08-30-2016, 04:43 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by Wozwasnt
Isn't the M1917 a copy of the Ft-17?

Try this though the sizes are in mm-

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWI/ft17/ft17_1x35.gif
I really appreciate the help, but there are quite some large differences in the makeup of the front of the upper hull. The structure of the panels is different, but i really am thankful for your assistance!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was just the part under the turret thst was different. You can use the FT plans for most of the model then use lower rez plans on the different parts.

Edit found these -

http://tanki.wanka.ru/wp-content/upl...ema_a_reno.gif

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 08-30-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

Well, you're both correct. Although the US produced near copies of the FT, the license built tanks were modified to suit US measurement systems and the manufacturing techniques, and components just for the M1917... according to David Doyle in his Walk Around book on both vehicles.

Not that anyone asked but I would just modify the FT to "LOOK" like the M1917 with the subtle things that at first glance no one would really see the difference. But I do admire wanting to build it from blue prints. I have seen line drawings on each tank, but nothing to really get measurements from.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by Panther F
Well, you're both correct. Although the US produced near copies of the FT, the license built tanks were modified to suit US measurement systems and the manufacturing techniques, and components just for the M1917... according to David Doyle in his Walk Around book on both vehicles.

Not that anyone asked but I would just modify the FT to "LOOK" like the M1917 with the subtle things that at first glance no one would really see the difference. But I do admire wanting to build it from blue prints. I have seen line drawings on each tank, but nothing to really get measurements from.

Jeff
I am considering all options frankly, i have bought that book you mentioned and im waiting for its arrival in mail. In the mean time, i might continue to make the tank from blueprints. I would do the ft17 conversion, but it would drive me nuts with my severe ocd.
Thanks everyone!
Ben
Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 PM
frijoles108

I found some good blueprints!! Case closed!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by frijoles108
I found some good blueprints!! Case closed!

Oh do share! Don't leave us in the dark.

Seriously, that's great! I hope it expedites your results.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2016, 06:53 AM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by Panther F
Oh do share! Don't leave us in the dark.

Seriously, that's great! I hope it expedites your results.

Jeff
I will post up a pic of the better blueprints, they are russian and of the m1917, ty russia, and they are very high res. I printed out each view on individual pieces of paper, in larger blown up images, and will be a lot easier to measure. Ill update you guys with pictures later.
Later,
Ben
Old 04-09-2022, 08:21 PM
Killer Account

Question Any blueprints

Dear Frijoles108

Have you received any good blueprints if so can you send me them I also am doing a project on the m1917 and Yes I know it's been over 6-7 years when asking but it could really help me.

Sincerely Collin

Last edited by Killer Account; 04-09-2022 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added apology for asking so long after the original upload
Old 04-10-2022, 08:49 PM
frijoles108

Originally Posted by Killer Account
Dear Frijoles108

Have you received any good blueprints if so can you send me them I also am doing a project on the m1917 and Yes I know it's been over 6-7 years when asking but it could really help me.

Sincerely Collin
Hi KillerAccount,
I know now for certain I never managed to find a reliable blueprint, so I ended up having to completely reverse engineer the sizes of various parts, extrapolating those by hand from photos, then converting those measurements to 1/1 scale, then reducing them to roughly 1/16. I had to round to nearest tenth for parts, then I would ensure other parts of the body would fit from there. I made my own blueprints for this tank, probably a couple months from this post I had made previously. I will gladly photograph and send you the blueprints I made, its all the body plating, however I had extreme difficulty on being able to determine the exact finer details of how the tracks are attached to the body specifically. Otherwise the tank is relatively complete in 1/16 scale. Id love to see someone else complete my dream build, as I unfortunately was about 16 to 17 years old then and had no ways to fund the project realistically and had to shelve it. I had been planning on getting metal sheeting and cutting them for each part of the tank to make it fully.
Sorry for the long winded response, just super happy to see this get some attention as I have lamented never being able to make this a reality. I will gladly help you with more of the dimensions, photography, book references I accumulated and still have while pursuing this. Let me know if you want the blueprint I made and Ill gladly forward it to you.
Kind regards
Ben
Old 04-10-2022, 09:11 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Highly recommend resizing the 3DP FT-17 files now offered & do the minor changes needed to make it the M1917. Am about halfway into the Lubos build & will follow with the larger Minialand.

Lubos 1/10 https://www.3dprintedtanks.com/ft17en/

Minialand 1/6 https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...le-et-tourelle

Another option is convert the Takom static model but its too small for my taste. Have one sitting on the shelf.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:28 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Doesn't seem like there were that many differences:

Visible differences from the Renault FT

The M1917 can be distinguished from the Renault FT by means of several external features.
  • The exhaust is on the left hand side instead of on the right
  • The FT mantlet for the machine-gun or 37mm cannon is replaced with a new design.
  • Solid steel idler wheels replaced the steel-rimmed wooden or seven-spoked steel ones on the FT
  • Additional vision slits are added to aid the driver .
  • All M1917s have a polygonal turret; none used the circular turret type fitted to approximately 50% of Renault FTs.
  • The frontal armor below the turret was also slightly modified.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:18 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed, minor mods. If you want to get picky, doin't forget to add the builder's name on the track plates. Miniland released the octagon turret files.

This, by far, offers the best reference book I've come across that covers all early versions, both French & US. Excellent collection of photos & drawings will satisfy any rivet counter's needs.