Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Armortek M4A3 Sherman Build Update

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Armortek M4A3 Sherman Build Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Armortek M4A3 Sherman Build Update

I was looking at some of these OLD pictures I've taken over the past couple months and was going to delete them BUT Gary showed me HOW to post pics on RCU again. Here's a few from about a month ago and in the next follow on post I'll show newer pics from a couple of days ago.

The first pic is of when I had to pull the right final drive on the Tiger 1 recently which I told about on crxsidan85s' 'Thinking about buying an Armortek' thread a little.

There's a couple pics of the first time I took it off the 'Lazy Susan' and put the tracks on. Then a couple of the post drive after I brought it in... it ran GREAT! Even the tank commander, Bruce Willis, was impressed! (THEN he said, 'HEY, when ya gonna git outta that BEEE.. er, a, 'beverage' FRIDGE and FINISH IT?')

The rest is of some of the detailing done earlier. I'll post a couple pics of the latest bow hatches and other things in a few minutes.

I was HOPEING to get the upper deck on the hull a couple days ago but EVERY TIME you think ya 'Got It Licked', you ain't... while the upper deck was sitting on the wood blocks READY (I thought) I should set it on the hull and I oughta check the turret with it on the ring.

Sat it on there and (dry with no grease) when I rotated it, found out the CAST turret AIN'T exactly 'round'. Seems one side is fine and the other is FAT and it rubs (bad) against the bullet deflectors around it in some areas. (naughty words, BAD words...)

So, had to use the Dremel to mill the tight areas on the deflectors. Had to take off a LOT of cast aluminum. Luckily I hadn't installed the fire extinguisher housing cause it was in the way also. And the long guard across it, had to move rear too.

Anyway, I'm almost done building it. I REALLY WRANG IT OUT on it's first drive (as Captain Ron always sez: 'Anything that's going to happen is going to happen out there!'), but it's these little, sneaky, unforeseen, detailing GOBLINS that still love to pop up.

Just wanted to show (THANKS to GARY!) that I ain't been SLACK'IN (too much...)!!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2224319   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2224320   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2224321   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2224322   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2224323  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-14-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Old MSgt

Here's a few more from about a week ago.

Views:	151
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2224324   Click image for larger version

Views:	154
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2224325   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2224326  
Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice work!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Old MSgt

Here's just a couple more I just went out and snapped. I added a few casting marks and ECA detail parts had'em already. I would have put more but those casting mark panels (I used three different sizes!) are EXPENSIVE. I did what I could.

Next pics will be in 'few' days (or week or two) WHEN I get the upper deck on, front glacis, and that BIG job of molding around the bow hatches, etc. Then get the final coat of paint on. After that the markings and weathering.

QUESTION: This OD is OD. I HAVE a couple of jars of 'faded olive drab'. I keep thinking about doing a light overspray of the faded (on surfaces and pronounced areas) with my air brush... OR just blow-it-off and go ahead and put the markings/weathering on. WHAT do YOU think? Serious question...

Mike

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2224332   Click image for larger version

Views:	152
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2224333   Click image for larger version

Views:	158
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2224334  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, everyone is building 1/6 lately lol. This is awesome!

I'm just glad no one makes a Pershing in 1/6 that I've seen. I'd probably start saving money for it that could probably be spent better elsewhere. lol
Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Old MSgt

Yesterday I figured I'd fretted enough about if everything was DONE inside the hull and finally said 'HECK WITH IT'. I went ahead and bolted the upper deck on and that WAS a long, time consuming job. But it's on... and when I do the Miliput molding around the bow hatches, it's REALLY on.

Ever since I got this Sherman I've been thinking about how could I get the driver/RO up in the hatches and still be able to close those hatches. I've always been an 'Over Engineer' when it comes to making things. I've pondered about a LONG lever reaching from the rear engine hatches all the way up, with a pivot in the middle, to lift the figures up... too complicated and prone to breaking down and that traverse motor was in the way.

Then thought about using a small cable from rear to front with pulleys. Then was told maybe using a solenoid but I AM an IDIOT with electronics (and I only have a 4 channel radio).

I'd practically given up on the idea because it was taking too much time to figure out and I wanted to be DONE with this build.

I was thinking about it while we were watching TV a couple days ago and my wife saw me figuring on 'something'. Asked what it was and I told her. She said, 'What about magnets? Wouldn't that work?' I was like, 'Naw, don't need a bunch of magne...' THAT got me thinking: KISS!!! Keep It Simple Stupid'!!!!

So yesterday I took measurements, made this frame, dug out some cabinet magnets, and went to work! I have these resin half figures from Armorpax and have even ordered a couple of BALD Dragon 1/6 'heads'. The 'Vin Diesel' head works great but the 'Tom Berenger' head has too big at the neck, thus the 'head' looks too large for the body. SO one of those German soldiers that's been LOAFING, riding around in the halftrack was RECRUITED.

The front trans cover is THICK and the holes are threaded all the way thru so I bolted a small hinge on the cover from inside with M3 bolts. Then I bolt the homemade frame to the hinge. The two magnets (one on each side) LOVE that steel upper deck. When I want to lower the 'heads' I just push it down and they fall in. To raise'em I finger that lever in front of the RO and pull'em up and the magnets take over.

Today I painted the resin figures and'll install the heads and lever invention tomorrow. Then I can install the front glacis and get back to sealing this lower hull up.

Mike

Views:	144
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2224730   Click image for larger version

Views:	129
ID:	2224731   Click image for larger version

Views:	133
ID:	2224732   Click image for larger version

Views:	131
ID:	2224733  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-17-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:42 PM
RichJohnson

Cool man. Love the large scale. Do you have a spot on the floor in your garage for it to park.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Old MSgt

Naw Rick, the other German tanks are already PO'ed about having to sit on the garage floor for these past months. Dust, leaves, Poppy (the 'outside' garage kitty) likes to sit on the T1 turret in front of the crew!

VERY SOON they'll be back up on the airlift and happy!... and I'm tired of always building... time to drive'em more.

Mike
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Old MSgt

John at ECA said a while ago Armortek originally made around 75 M4A3 Shermans, not counting the Firefly they made a production run of years later (don't know how many Fireflys). I've been curious as to how many M4A3s are in the US?

Obviously England has'em, then how many are in Australia, Germany, Italy, Hong Kong, Japan, etc.?

I do know John (ECA) has one. And I know there's one in the Upper Midwest (close to Chicago), one in Washington State, and one in San Diego (didn't see pics but the owner told me he had one) then this one, so that's five in the US we know of.

I'm just curious as to how many other M4A3s are here...

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-18-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:57 PM
RichJohnson

Where In San Diego? I dont know who this is and I should.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Old MSgt

It was a few months ago that I switched emails about something for sale... 1/6 parts or something. I told him I liked 1/6 tanks and, just in passing, HE said he had an Armortek Sherman. Surprised, I said I'd just purchased one and was waiting for it to arrive.

HE said to 'be sure to use Loctite on the track nuts or they'll come loose' (obviously he knew from experience.) I asked him if he ever looked on RCU and he said, no, he just has a couple of large tanks and runs'em alone. Didn't know any local tankers. And that was it...

Mike

(Went in to brush my tooth and hit the sack and just remembered: He said he hadn't had time in the past few years to run his tanks much cause of his job and family stuff. Said he was a teacher.)

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Mike
Looking good on the details! Love the driver and MG gunner figures they will look great.

I've got an Armortek Sherman - in Seattle area!

Nice work!
Bob
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Old MSgt

Hi Bob!!

THANKS for adding your Sherman to my 'curious' list of how many are in the US (and area if owners want to provide it!)

...And if you want to post pics of your 'other' tank projects I KNOW everybody would LOVE to see'em!! (I know Bob and have seen what he's GOT. IMPRESSIVE!)

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-18-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Old MSgt

All right! The 'die is cast', 'the ship has sailed', and 'it's all over but tha cry'in'.

Yesterday I bolted the upper hull on and today I finished the 'crew lift', installed bolts in the front glacis, and initially did the molding around the bow hatches and THAT is HARD to do to try to make'em look halfway decent. I've been studying pics for months and I'll try my best but maybe the bow hatches' extra armor will HIDE my IDIOT mistakes.

No more 'easy access' to the lift or rear insides. I'll finish the 'welds' around the deck and bullet guards tomorrow. Then add just a few more little detail things and I'm hoping to paint it real soon.

Still debating giving a light overspray of faded OD before I put the markings on and the weathering. Nobody has given their opinion SO I guess I gotta make my usual 'BONEHEAD decision'... I'll show how it turns out in a few days.

Mike

Views:	123
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2224960   Click image for larger version

Views:	126
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2224961  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-19-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:14 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

East Coast Armory did a one off Pershing in 1/6th scale. He has it in his build galleries: 1/6th Scale M26 (T26E3) Heavy tank.

It's all scratch built. You pay him enough I'm sure he'd make you one...lol
Old 07-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
East Coast Armory did a one off Pershing in 1/6th scale. He has it in his build galleries: 1/6th Scale M26 (T26E3) Heavy tank.

It's all scratch built. You pay him enough I'm sure he'd make you one...lol
Oh, I have read all about that tank, and watched the showcase videos... a few times. Good thing for me that they only offer the non-functional resin running gear.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM
fury69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that shermy is looking awesome!!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:10 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks really nice so far Mike!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Old MSgt

Thanks guys for the inspiring words, I REALLY APPRECIATE'EM!

Yesterday I put on so many 'welds' I had that jerky Miliput 'tattoo' wrist. Then put on any other little detail thingies like more tie down brackets (had to wait til I did the upper deck welds), some small cable brackets, stuff like that.

Then this morning I did something I've been dreading: making the 'cast' look between the bow hatches. There was a large low area there so I had to build it up by trial and error, finally got worn out and said 'Close enough for Gov't work' and mixed up some Miliput to do the final center 'weld'. Even put on some more casting marks (got'em, might as well use'em!)

After I did that, found I had a LOT of Miliput left over (I ALWAYS make TOO MUCH!). So not to waste it I put 'welds' on EVERYTHING I hadn't planned on putting'em on. Right when I ran out of Miliput I couldn't find anything more that wasn't 'welded'.

It's so HOT in that garage that this afternoon everything was dry so I taped off hull openings then primed and painted.

Tomorrow I install the MGs, periscopes, headlights, and anything else that ain't on. Then comes the weathering OR a light overspray of that faded OD (I'm still debating that.) Then the markings in a few days.

Just wanted to show what I got done today and how it looks painted. I'm tired... TIME for a 'few' COLD BEE... beverages.

Mike

Views:	110
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2225096   Click image for larger version

Views:	105
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2225097   Click image for larger version

ID:	2225098   Click image for larger version

Views:	99
ID:	2225099   Click image for larger version

Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2225100   Click image for larger version

Views:	113
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2225101   Click image for larger version

Views:	106
ID:	2225102  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-20-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Gramps, you done pretty dadgummed good on this build. Now, next you got to show us what it looks like when moving under it's own power. Your attention to detail is first rate and I'm sure you don't want to count how many yards of weld beads you did. Have a cool one and relax for the evening, that's what I'm doin'.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Old MSgt

Thanks Papaw! BUT now I've seen something that ain't there but is suppost to be there: the two bow hatch stops the hatches rest on open... no big deal, I'll make'em and install'em tomorrow along with a couple other things.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-21-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking good Mike. Your Milliput welds and details look great. Worthy of a cold one for sure!
Wish my Shermy looked this good. It might - if I actually worked on it sometime!
Keep at it.
Bob
Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 AM
RichJohnson

Awesome work!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Old MSgt

Well, this morning I put on the last periscope visor so I'm 98% DONE with this build. The only other detail I have to make is the front fender brackets and I'll have to wait til I go up in Ohio to the hobby shop to get the brass strips I need. I want to make those brackets strong because I might want to put a board across the front to carry stuff on.

After I take a break for a few days, I'm thinking about installing rails on the sides of the turret so I can hang bedrolls, knapsacks, boots, etc. I have to make a few more of those leather tiedown straps too. And the .50 mount... Also might make the 'shark fin' aiming sight for the turret corner... little additions never end!

I've been working on this since it was delivered in March. And I can steadfastly say it was built with honest blood, sweat, lots of naughty words, spit'em dip , brainstorming, fabricating, and, of course, wearing out the hinges on the garage fridge and doing 12 ounce curls.

I didn't lightly overspray it with faded OD and I'll just wait for the dust and sun to lighten it. I'll do some 'wear' spots and highlight edges just like I did the periscopes, but this is it. Time to take it out and 'git'a little MUD on them tars' like we say in Kantuck!

This is the bestest this OLD IDIOT could do building this. Ain't nowhere near what the best builders on here could do but is still ain't too awful bad. If it hadn't turned out okay I'd just RUN IT IN THE CREEK!!

I'm tired AND thirsty and here in a minute I'm going to take care of the second one a number of times!

Mike

Views:	89
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2225463   Click image for larger version

Views:	93
ID:	2225464   Click image for larger version

Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2225465   Click image for larger version

Views:	87
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2225466   Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2225467   Click image for larger version

Views:	86
ID:	2225468   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2225469   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008S.JPG
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2225470  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009S.JPG
ID:	2225471   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2225472  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Old MSgt

Here's a couple more when I took it for a drive a few minutes ago. Then quickly realized: 'I must be some kind of NUT to be out here in this HEAT!! Heck with this! 'WILLIS! Turn that Sherman around and head to the gar-rage as fast as you can! THAT'S AN ORDER!!!'

Views:	114
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	2225473   Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	2225474   Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2225475  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-24-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.