Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Transmitter/Radio Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:29 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter/Radio Needed

Hello all:

Work and travel have really cut into my hobby time. I am about six weeks out from an event at the AAF that my son wants to participate in and I need to get my act together so that I do not disappoint him.

My Tiger is still in sorry shape. The main problem is that it fires its main gun when I elevate or lower it. I have tried several fixes and can’t seem to change it. I believe it has a Clark board in it but I can’t be sure; it doesn’t look like the ones listed on their website. The radio that came with it is an inexpensive $24 model that I want to replace. Maybe one with better adjustments will help me fine tune the tank to get a little better results?

My question is what is a good quality radio that I can buy to use with it? I want something that will last but is easy to set up and install. Some members had made recommendations earlier in the year but I can’t find my emails for some reason.

I am converting a PZIV for myself and will be ordering a board for it in the near future; I will probably buy two of the radios (I have a stock Taigen one for it now).

Any suggestions on a good radio that is fair in price, easy to set up, has a nice range of adjustments and is user friendly would be greatly appreciated.

See ya,

Skip
Old 07-24-2017, 05:10 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The type of radio may be better suited to the electronics you choose for the tank. That is, decide which electronics package to use, then which radio, simplest reliable version, will work with that package.

Also are you planning a 27/49MHz, 75MHz or 2.4GHz system? That will help determine your radio choices.

That being said, I have always had success with the Futaba radios, like the 4YF for 75MHz and FAAST system for 2.4GHz radios, they are all simple to program WITH THE TAMIYA electronics. I tried the IBU3 and it was more difficult programming, not because of the radio, but the electronics HAD to be connected to computer for programming.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 AM
skip2a

Eric:

Thanks for the reply. I want to go with the 2.4GHz system. The Tiger has a Clark board in it and due to space limitations in the PZIV it will probably have a Clark in it also.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I like the flysky or turnigy i6. Reasonable price (about $50) and very easy to use and set up.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^agreed, I really like the turnigy. You really don't need to go overboard (e.g. Expensive) for tanks IMO. For land rockets yeah I would spend the money, it's easier to run after a runaway tank then it is for a short course truck.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 AM
skip2a

I am going to order one of the Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver models today for the Tiger. If I like it and can figure out how to program it I will also get one for the PzIV.

My question is how do I adapt a rechargeable battery pack to the Transmitter? Can I do it on this model? I would rather have two packs that I can charge on my battery charger than have to worry about carrying AA batteries all of the time.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 07-26-2017, 04:26 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I would imagine that there are video/tutorials to mod it to accept lipos. I just use rechargeable AA's. Might have to look up doing a mod...... if of course I am feeling motivated.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM
skip2a

Still dragging my feet on this. I watched your video on them Gary: how hard is it to do the self centering modification to the left stick?

Is there a model available that has self centering on both sticks to begin with?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by skip2a
Still dragging my feet on this. I watched your video on them Gary: how hard is it to do the self centering modification to the left stick?

Is there a model available that has self centering on both sticks to begin with?

Thanks,

Pat
I run Clark Tk22 MFUs in my tanks and use Turnigy 9x transmitters and receivers. The transmitters are capable of storing multiple model profiles and can be bound to multiple receivers. I have one set up to control my german tanks and another for my Russian tanks. Each tank has its own receiver and Clark board. All I need to do is power up the transmitter, select the correct tank profile, turn on the appropriate tank and I'm ready to rock n' roll.

You can get self centering levers from here.

​http://rctanksaustralia.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1
Old 07-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Crius

The self center kit isn't difficult to install, and I think the only tool you need is a Philips screwdriver (and of course a dental pick of some kind, even if it's just a bent paperclip). The self center kits for the 9X don't fit the i6. They don't make a radio with both sticks self centered that I know of. If you really don't want to use the kit the only other option is buy a complete gimbal and swap it out. Either option is about the same degree of difficulty, and just basic skill with hand tools is required. I get my flysky self center kits (same kit for i6 and i10, all i6 and i10 radios use the exact same gimbal) from Ian Judge at rctankelectronics.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pat,

Have you considered going to your local hobby shop and checking their radios out?

Spektrum pretty much owns the 2.4 ghz market for radios now a days. DX-6 or a DX E would be good places to start. DX6 (Gen 2) has self centering sticks (you can make the left stick self centering without opening the radio up and voiding the warranty) and has a Lithium Ion battery as an option. They're pretty easy to setup and change settings (using just the radio). Many radios need a PC to set them up. I'm sure your hobby shop would have one of each and you could go and feel it before having to buy it.

As far as bulletproof, consider the Futaba 4YF or the 6J. Both are best in class. Again, a local hobby shop would be where to go first.

Myself, I use Futaba and Spektrum. Futaba has better parts support. Both have good customer service.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 AM
skip2a

Jeff:

There isn't a hobby shop near me with any RC stuff: I think the closest one is about 2 hours away. It is pathetic but that is how it is in Central PA. There was a Hobby Town but they didn't stock anything really and went out of business in May I believe. I stopped there when I first started but they were a waste of time.

Gary: I check out the parts for the radios.

I really wish there was a place I could go to get some hands on information and experience with this stuff. It makes it so much harder to learn by just looking at pictures and videos instead of having a person to interact with and being able to actually see what I am buying in person.

Pat
Old 07-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you can't hold one before you buy one, I suggest that you go cheap. You'll likely need another radio, so I'd start with the cheap one, and then buy the one you'll love after you've had some experience with them. A good cheap one can be had for about 75 bucks.

I'd also suggest you get a used one to start. You can save a bunch of money that way. RC Universe has a classified section, and so does RC Groups. Both have tons of used radios.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:04 AM
CaptainB

Hello Skip,
Your Tiger 1 problem is easily solved. You need to look on Clarks website to get the instructions for doing the wiring mod that's required. It's a simple case of cutting 1 wire from the elevator motor and re-assigning it to pin 4 ( I think!) on the Clark board so that it powers the airsoft separately from the elevator motor.

The turnigy 9x is a good radio from hobbyking - I use it in tanks all the time and only $50......

cheers

CaptB
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 AM
skip2a

I searched the Clark website and can't find any reference to this repair. Does anyone have a link for it? If this is a fix I may not need to purchase a new transmitter for this particular tank.

Thank you all for your input and feedback. I know my son is excited for AAF in Sept and I need to have this tank running right for him this time.

Thanks again!

Pat

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Hello Skip,
Your Tiger 1 problem is easily solved. You need to look on Clarks website to get the instructions for doing the wiring mod that's required. It's a simple case of cutting 1 wire from the elevator motor and re-assigning it to pin 4 ( I think!) on the Clark board so that it powers the airsoft separately from the elevator motor.

The turnigy 9x is a good radio from hobbyking - I use it in tanks all the time and only $50......

cheers

CaptB
Old 07-31-2017, 08:25 AM
Crius

Check the Imex YouTube channel. I'm pretty sure Eric did a video on how to wire the clark board for Airsoft.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful, that mod is for airsoft not IR which Pat is having troubles with. Ths all goes back to firing the cannon and elevation on same channel but for some reason we couldn't get it trimmed out to not fire when he was trying to elevate up or down.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 07-31-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Careful, that mod is for airsoft not IR which Pat is having troubles with. Ths all goes back to firing the cannon and elevation on same channel but for some reason we couldn't get it trimmed out to not fire when he was trying to elevate up or down.
He also has Servo recoil and Servo elevation.

Bret,
Even with Digital Radio you were not able to adjust? I was thinking you could adjust the endpoint on the main gun so high that you would not even be able to fire it?
Did you try recalibrating the sticks with Digital Radio?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:00 AM
skip2a

Shorty:

I can’t get Digital Radio to work for me. Bought the cable, bought the DR download and it does nothing. Says to change drivers and I have installed/uninstalled all of them two or three times each with no luck at all. Bret is too far away to give me a hand with this. I have been screwing with it since April and can’t seem to get it right.

Pat
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by skip2a
Shorty:

I can’t get Digital Radio to work for me. Bought the cable, bought the DR download and it does nothing. Says to change drivers and I have installed/uninstalled all of them two or three times each with no luck at all. Bret is too far away to give me a hand with this. I have been screwing with it since April and can’t seem to get it right.

Pat
Did you try all 3 different drivers?

Yes you did, sorry misread your last post

Last edited by Shorty54; 07-31-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: misread post