Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Experience with MAKO2017?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Experience with MAKO2017?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM
ShadowTheULF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with MAKO2017?

I've been looking into routes for making my Taigen tanks Tamiya compatible and I am struggling to find much info about the MAKO2017 board; does anyone around here have any experience with them?

The prospect of using my current MFUs and transmitters is very appealing, and I would look to install Tamiya Battle Units in both tanks to standardize the IR emitter and apple. Is this a good way to go if I am happy with the Taigen V2 electronics? The much lower cost for the conversion is also appealing as it means more hobby funds for something like a Tamiya FO Kit down the line.

EDIT/ I've spoken with Ian at RC Tank Electronics and done a spot of reading on the Piranha battle unit as a result. It seems like a pretty competent alternative to the Tamiya Battle Unit and for non-IFA tanks makes for an easy implementation of a quality IR emitter and receiver.

Last edited by ShadowTheULF; 01-05-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:45 PM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I use them on several Taigen tanks to interact with my TK22 (Tamiya) equipped tanks. For what they are, they work great. However, I've only been able to make them work on Taigen V1 boards. My Taigen V2 board will not interact with the V1 boards, thus I can only conclude that the Mako 2017 will not work on a V2 board. Furthermore, if I understand your question, I'm not sure you can use a Taigen board with a Tamiya apple. (This would seem unnecessary anyway, as the Mako makes the Taigen V1 gear work with Tamiya signal.)

Side note: I don't see the Mako 2017 boards available anymore. Have you found some?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:15 PM
ShadowTheULF

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
I use them on several Taigen tanks to interact with my TK22 (Tamiya) equipped tanks. For what they are, they work great. However, I've only been able to make them work on Taigen V1 boards. My Taigen V2 board will not interact with the V1 boards, thus I can only conclude that the Mako 2017 will not work on a V2 board. Furthermore, if I understand your question, I'm not sure you can use a Taigen board with a Tamiya apple. (This would seem unnecessary anyway, as the Mako makes the Taigen V1 gear work with Tamiya signal.)

Side note: I don't see the Mako 2017 boards available anymore. Have you found some?
They are available at RC Tank Electronics.

The Taigen V1 and V2 boards are supposed to be IR compatible with each other (Erik confirmed with me via e-mail) so I am confused as to what the issue with the MAKO2017 would be. What issues have you had getting the MAKO2017 to work with the Taigen V2 board as compared to the V1 board?

As for the apple, I would want to use the Tamiya apple with the MAKO board (or a Piranha unit) to be in better compliance with other Tamiya battle systems.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:01 PM
BcuriousR

I was told the same thing about the V1 and V2 boards. So I ordered a V2, installed it, and it will not interact with the V1 tanks. Same story V2 with Mako to Tamiya (TK22), I can hit Tamiya tanks but can't receive hits, (whereas, my V1 boards with Mako have no problem). I installed it in several tanks, with the same result. I can still hit other tanks, but it will not receive hits. Just my experience.

The V2 is a great board by the way. Proportional controls, great sounds, etc. But, if it won't work with the V1s, it may negate the use of the Mako 2017. If you choose to try, I hope your experience is different. Maybe some others will post in this discussion.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 PM
ShadowTheULF

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
I was told the same thing about the V1 and V2 boards. So I ordered a V2, installed it, and it will not interact with the V1 tanks. Same story V2 with Mako to Tamiya (TK22), I can hit Tamiya tanks but can't receive hits, (whereas, my V1 boards with Mako have no problem). I installed it in several tanks, with the same result. I can still hit other tanks, but it will not receive hits. Just my experience.

The V2 is a great board by the way. Proportional controls, great sounds, etc. But, if it won't work with the V1s, it may negate the use of the Mako 2017. If you choose to try, I hope your experience is different. Maybe some others will post in this discussion.
This is very disappointing to hear considering the messaging from IMEX is that the V2 and V1 boards are IR compatible. Maybe Erik can weigh in on this difference, even independent of the MAKO board? If the V2 and V1 boards don't work together then that seems like it would be the stem of the issue with the MAKO.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 AM
BcuriousR

Just to be clear. My Taigen V2 board will not work with my V1 boards regardless of the Mako board. I only explained the variety of ways that I tried to make them work. Naturally, I started with the basic boards vs each other before adding any variables, (Mako). I did explain this to Erik, sent video, pictures, etc.

Again, the V2 is a nice board. I'd really like it to be a case of a "bad board" and others are having better luck. If this is the case, I'd give them a second chance. (all the better if the Mako 2017 will work too). Right now I have a V2 sitting in a box, as it serves no IR purpose.