Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DXE and Tanks: Programming? 4 Channel Use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spektrum DXE and Tanks: Programming? 4 Channel Use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 PM
ShadowTheULF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DXE and Tanks: Programming? 4 Channel Use?

I have a pair of IBU2U Bases in the mail and I need to find a transmitter for each.

Looking online it seems that the Spektrum DXE provides a good value as it has the innards for two self-centering sticks already (just gotta loosen some screws on the left), capability for 6 channels, and comes in at $90 with the receiver included. This does come with a significant quirk though in that the TX is programmed via a custom cable and a smart phone.

My question, as someone who is new to hobby-grade boards/TX, is two-fold:

Firstly, with the IBU2U having a calibration sequence all its own is it necessary to program the Spektrum DXE separately using the smart phone? It seems like the IBU2U allowing you to calibrate which sticks/knobs do what would make the TX programming unnecessary.

Secondly, can I use the 6 channel TX as a 4 channel? The IBU2U Base uses 4 channels but can be expanded to 8 if desired so it would be nice to have some extra channels supported by the TX should I ever need to expand.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might consider a Futaba radio. Futaba 6L Sport is similar ($90), just much simpler than the DXE. DXE is better for those with small hands and the 6L is for bigger hands. Plus, with the 6L, no programming is needed. Will need a center return spring kit though. About 5 bucks. I've got one, and it works great on a Tamiya full option tank.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:50 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TX-RX side of a tank setup is actually pretty simple. You have to have an RX that works with the TX. OK, done with that section.

Really. Whatever that TX can do, it can do if needed. DXE or 6L, they are what they are. The tank's board couldn't care less what it's connected to.

As for connecting 6 channel TX to whatever channel RX..... The TX couldn't care less how many channels are live out there in the world. Connected or not, it's going to send commands from the TX if you move the TX sticks or punch the TX buttons. You don't plan to use but 4 channels in the tank, so you're going to plug 4 tank connectors into whatever RX winds up in the tank. Only problem you might have with plugging the tank connectors into whatever RX you use is some connectors have a tab that stops them from being easily plugged into some brands of RXs. Futaba style (the type Tamiya uses) connectors have a tab that was originally on Futaba servos to bully the user into using Futaba RXs. An X-acto trims those tabs off easily. As long as your RX has enough channels to run your tank, it'll work great. It never matters how many channels you don't use.

To sum up so far:
You need a RX with at least 4 channels.
You need a TX that RX will work with.
You may need to trim some connector tabs.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowTheULF
I have a pair of IBU2U Bases in the mail and I need to find a transmitter for each.
OK...... Most RC TXs today will work with more than one vehicle.
You do not need a transmitter for each tank you have.
Buying even the cheapest TX for each tank isn't very efficient. Also, cheap TXs lock you into limiting your tanks to 4 channels.

I flew RC back when TXs didn't have multi-model capabilities. Screwing around with a TX for each was a Royal PITA. At the field and in the shop.

A DX6e is a 6-channel TX with multi-model capabilities. It's price is a little more than two DXEs. It comes with one 6-channel RX. It'll do what you want to do with a 4-channel RX as well.

Last edited by da Rock; 01-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:09 PM
ShadowTheULF

Thanks for the responses!

The reason I want two TX is because I want to be able to run casual little battles in the backyard with friends and family so I need both tanks able to run at the same time.

To that end, the DXE's lower price was more attractive than the DX6e due to my needs. I'm glad to hear that TX are rather agnostic about what the board is but I am still unclear about whether I need to bother with the separate programming that the TX can do. Can I just plug and play with the included receivers or do I need to program the TX before they will function right with calibrating the IBU2U boards and driving the tanks?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

One of the reasons I would avoid the Spectrum DXe is it does not have a rotary control which means you will not be able to control the sounds from the Tanks control board remotely using the T/X,
Also you will find that you never have enough Channels,
You only have to add an "RVC"(Remote Volume Control) and a servo to move the Hull MG and you are wondering where all the channels went.

The thing about Transmitters is that they are not built or programmed for Armour,
Instead they are built for Fixed Wing/Rotary and Drone operation,
So you would be advised to get a transmitter which you can download Tank Software into and also has a rotary control.
As to spring loaded levers there are aftermarket kits available that convert the Transmitter very easily for just a few $.
Shaun.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

For the IBU I always recommend the FlySky or Turnigy I6 transmitter. If you go with Turnigy you can get 2 of them for less than 1 Spektrum or Futaba. You will need the self Center kits but they're easily available and less than $10 each.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
The thing about Transmitters is that they are not built or programmed for Armour,
Instead they are built for Fixed Wing/Rotary and Drone operation,
So you would be advised to get a transmitter which you can download Tank Software into and also has a rotary control.
As to spring loaded levers there are aftermarket kits available that convert the Transmitter very easily for just a few $.
Shaun.
Id stay away from any radio with no screen on it. No screen means no posibility of programming, and thatīs very important. I also would stay away from futaba. Very expensive with prehistoric technology. There are many many better options there, and many things to have in mind.
The rotary that Shaun mentions: Excelent idea, for adjusting the sound is more than recommended. I also like the rotarys for moving servos.
Self centering sticks: Personally I dont like it. I like to have the throttle stick not self centering, but is just a matter of taste.
Channels: Yeah, 4, 6, are too low channels. Iīd start with something with 8. You cant imagine how fast you run of them. I am using a radio with 24 channels.

And about the Tank software, I said it many many many times, but people seems to be sticked to it. The tank software is a skin of a very very primitive and obsolete version of the er9x which you can download for free at Home Page Even the creator of tanker9x recommends to not to use it anymore, and instead of it download the newest version from the link I wrote. Specially the test versions has tons of new features and sticking to the tanker software has no longer sense at all.

So which radio Iīd recommend? Turnigy 9xr pro (wich sometimes it has a price of only 25 bucks. Now it costs 40 at hobbyking and it is an amazing radio with tons of features. Sounds, it has sound (it can play even your music) vibrates and many more things, And also is easily upgradeable) dont forget a module and the receiver.

Option B That always Crius recommends, the Flysky i10, I have not tested it but looks cool.

Erikīs recommendation (The taigen guy) the new Taranis QX7

Thatīs just my 2 cent.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM
ShadowTheULF

This is all so helpful but also unexpected; I didn't think the TX needed to run any special software! That is definitely another layer to this that I had not anticipated. I assumed it was like any standard input device/controller you would use for a PC; just bind controls as needed and go.

As for which TX to buy, both the Turnigy/FlySky i6 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-mode-1.html) and Turnigy 9X (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...&gclsrc=aw.ds) look good. The i6 certainly looks a bit more modern but the 9X comes with an 8 channel receiver to the i6's 6 channel. Both overkill for my current needs but definitely more expansion potential with the 9X.

Considering that I need two TX rather than one fancy one, any reason I shouldn't jump on the 9X right now? Also, what is needed to get it up and running to calibrate the IBU2U and start driving my tanks?

Last edited by ShadowTheULF; 01-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowTheULF
This is all so helpful but also unexpected; I didn't think the TX needed to run any special software! That is definitely another layer to this that I had not anticipated. I assumed it was like any standard input device/controller you would use for a PC; just bind controls as needed and go.

As for which TX to buy, both the Turnigy/FlySky i6 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...r-mode-1.html) and Turnigy 9X (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...&gclsrc=aw.ds) look good. The i6 certainly looks a bit more modern but the 9X comes with an 8 channel receiver to the i6's 6 channel. Both overkill for my current needs but definitely more expansion potential with the 9X.

Considering that I need two TX rather than one fancy one, any reason I shouldn't jump on the 9X right now? Also, what is needed to get it up and running to calibrate the IBU2U and start driving my tanks?

That 9X is a very good radio... With a horrible pain in the ass software. What to do? Buy this: SP Basic Rev 1.1 (9X Programmer) [SPBASIC11] - $17.00 : SmartieParts.com and install the sofware from the web I gave you Home Page and you will have one radio with more functions and posibilities than other brands with prices near 500 bucks.

Option B: What I told you: https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-...ut-module.html It comes with a more powerfull version of the software installed, sound, vibration, and a very valuable backlight. You have to do nothing on it. Add a module (something like 10 euros?) a receiver (7 euros) and done.