Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Recoil - Need help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Recoil - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:38 AM
Derpzki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Recoil - Need help!

So I got the taigen recoil unit today - and thing's aren't going as planned.

When I hook the grounded wire to the negative battery plug, the gun keeps elevating up and down when I turn on the tank??

Also, pressing the left stick up on my 2.4ghz controller makes the gun recoil sometimes, but it also makes the gun elevate up and down.

Can anyone help?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 AM
Dusty Steppes

Try unplugging the 3 pin plug on the daughter board, rotate it 180 degrees, and then plug it back in.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the wiring diagrams here: https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-user-manuals/
Please also be aware if you have the new dual sound system from HL it is not compatible with ours without a rewire. If you just got it and it is like that then send me an email on our site so I can try and get you fixed up.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Derpzki

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
Try unplugging the 3 pin plug on the daughter board, rotate it 180 degrees, and then plug it back in.
I tried doing that, but the plug physically won't let me
Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Derpzki

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Check the wiring diagrams here: (it won't let me submit URL's until I have ten posts
Please also be aware if you have the new dual sound system from HL it is not compatible with ours without a rewire. If you just got it and it is like that then send me an email on our site so I can try and get you fixed up.

Yeah I wired it up like in the diagram, but it still won't work

Let me try to add some details - the wires connecting to the turret switch are connected together instead, and the grounded wire is connected to the (negative) 2 pin plug coming from the battery, to the rx-18.

I don't have the HL Dual sound system.

Last edited by Derpzki; 02-23-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Derpzki

Let me add some more details:

If I have the grounded wire in, upon turning the tank on (before engine ignition sound) the gun will elevate up and down by itself. If I try to press the left stick down, it makes the gun elevation noise, and if I press it up, nothing happens.

Without the grounded wire connected, pushing the left stick down works the elevation, but left stick up also works the elevation, and recoils once. If I move the left stick up a little, the gear for the recoil will move a little - repeating this process gets the recoil gear slowly back to extended position (but while I repeat the process, the left stick up also triggers elevation)

I may have broken the xenon flash by attempting to shove it into the taigen PZ IV metal barrel for my PZ IV - the plastic cylinder wouldn't fit, and my attempts at putting it in have cracked the plastic cylinder at the LED end - will this affect anything else? For some reason, the brass end of the metal barrel falls off quite easily - anyone know a temp. adhesive I could use for the brass end?

My taigen recoil unit is made out of black plastic, not the white I can see online - any difference?

I am quite confused, to be honest

Last edited by Derpzki; 02-23-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Derpzki

For some reason now, the recoil unit won't even recoil or attempt to when I press the left stick up???
Old 02-24-2018, 01:58 AM
Derpzki

So, I accidently fried me board while trying to fix the problem.

Every other function except left stick up works (and I still haven't got the recoil working

How can one fix the rx-18?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:36 AM
blueimperator

test the micro firing switch on the recoil unit , if the gun fires then its a wiring issue, i went through the same problem and after tearing it all apart and checking ever wire connection, the 8 pin when closing the unit was being pulled a fraction off the board causing all kinds of weird issues, also make sure the 8 pin and 3pin face the same way.

hope this helps
Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derpzki
So, I accidently fried me board while trying to fix the problem.

Every other function except left stick up works (and I still haven't got the recoil working

How can one fix the rx-18?
First, try what blueimperator suggested.. As to repairing the board itself?

The board itself isn't worth repairing. Plus, unless you have the proper equipment to fix SMT parts. (Surface Mount Technology), you can't do it..

At this stage you have 2 options.. Replace the RX-18 board with a new one. Or my suggestion, purchase better electronics and save yourself the hassle right off..

There are far better solutions out there that will give you less headaches.. Clark or IBU for example.. Both have much better components on the boards..

Last edited by gp100; 02-24-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, double post for some reason.. And can't delete it.. No delete button???

Last edited by gp100; 02-24-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 PM
Derpzki

Originally Posted by blueimperator
test the micro firing switch on the recoil unit , if the gun fires then its a wiring issue, i went through the same problem and after tearing it all apart and checking ever wire connection, the 8 pin when closing the unit was being pulled a fraction off the board causing all kinds of weird issues, also make sure the 8 pin and 3pin face the same way.

hope this helps
Before the board lost it's "magic smoke for gun firing via left stick up", yes the microswitch did work by itself.

Originally Posted by gp100
First, try what blueimperator suggested.. As to repairing the board itself?

The board itself isn't worth repairing. Plus, unless you have the proper equipment to fix SMT parts. (Surface Mount Technology), you can't do it..

At this stage you have 2 options.. Replace the RX-18 board with a new one. Or my suggestion, purchase better electronics and save yourself the hassle right off..

There are far better solutions out there that will give you less headaches.. Clark or IBU for example.. Both have much better components on the boards..
Yeah, I don't think I can fix the board at this point - and clark boards are kinda out of the option - I'm only a kid with not much money
Replacing the RX-18 seems like a good idea - I have a 2.4ghz version three controller (and slightly burnt board), does anyone know a place that sells version 3 2.4ghz boards?

I think I figured out my problem for the taigen recoil - when I connected the ground wire to the (negative) switch instead of the negative battery plug the big recoil gear (that moves the barrel forward) moved until the switch for the gear (not the switch for the barrel - which activates the gun sound) stopped it moving, and now its fully extended. Presumably if the board still works than after recoiling the barrel should move forward now
I think when I connected it to the battery plug - it must have touched the pin on the board as well, causing wacky issues

So all I need at this point is a new board. Any decent, cheap alternatives to the RX-18 - (or another rx-18?)