Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Announcing San Diego RC Tank Trials 2018

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Announcing San Diego RC Tank Trials 2018

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Announcing San Diego RC Tank Trials 2018

September 1st

Entry will be $5 per tank. You can enter as many tanks as you want. Each tank entered gets 1 voting ballot for their favorites.
Catagories with trophies are:

Combat Course Trial 1st 2nd 3d place (Tamiya type IR) requires shooting IR targets
Obstical course trial 1st 2nd 3d place Non IR timed course run

Coolest modern tank
Coolest Cold war tank
Coolest Allied tank
Coolest Axis tank
Most Bizzare tank
Coolest Support LAV

The obstical course will consist of a timed event while shooting targets. Each target accrues points and every designated amount of seconds beyond the deadline will cost you points.

Its very similar to a model boat regatta. This is going to be a blast!
follow www.facebook.com/groups/SanDiegoRCTankBattles for continuing details

Last edited by RichJohnson; 02-27-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM
RichJohnson

Deleted

Last edited by RichJohnson; 02-27-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be like a lot of fun
Old 02-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Interesting I will have to follow this but I and many other do not use Facebook. I am not far form San Diego and this might make for a fun day.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-27-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Tank battles are one thing but I've always wanted to see more competitions like this!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:24 AM
RichJohnson

Im hoping for a big turn out like the danville groups get. For our monthly battles we range from 6-16 people just luck of the monthly draw.
But Im hopimg to draw from all of CA az and hopefully western CO and maybe Tx. Im dreaming I know but I cam hope.
I think it really will be alot of fun adn something totally different for the hobby. I have alot of planning to do and props targets and trophies to make.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich, are you planning on IR targets or you talking airsoft targets?
Interested in what your plans would be for IR targets?

Shad
Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
September 1st

Entry will be $5 per tank. You can enter as many tanks as you want. Each tank entered gets 1 voting ballot for their favorites.
Catagories with trophies are:
Obstical course trial 1st 2nd 3d place
Coolest modern tank
Coolest Cold war tank
Coolest Allied tank
Coolest Axis tank
Most Bizzare tank
Coolest Support LAV

The obstical course will consist of a timed event while shooting targets. Each target accrues points and every designated amount of seconds beyond the deadline will cost you points.

Its very similar to a model boat regatta. This is going to be a blast!
follow www.facebook.com/groups/SanDiegoRCTankBattles for continuing details
Some of us do not use or want to use Facebook for various reasons. Myself and I am sure others would like to learn more. Could you post the event details here on this thread as well?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM
RichJohnson

I will post more here when we have it. Right now thats all there is other than loctaion which is mission bay park behind seaworld.
i think you can still view the facebook page without having an account. Im not sure. Click the link and see if you can see our club page.
id you live close enough we have monthly battles in San Diego.

The targets are all IR and stationary tanks. Airsoft is not allowed here since its a public park.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 PM
RichJohnson

We have added a non IR tank obstical course for airsoft tanks or just non IR tanks.
Please note no BBs are allowed at this event. Park rules
The pointer is the public restrooms. We set up to the left in the area above the red pointer.

map

Last edited by RichJohnson; 02-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 AM
RichJohnson

Ok everybody start getting your tanks ready for the San Diego Trials on the 1st. The obstacle course will be open to test drive at least by 0900 if not earlier. David and I are committed to trying to get it set up much earlier. After 10 we start judging tank drivers taking the course. its just 5 dollars per tank and you can enter as many tanks as you want IR or non IR. We have both categories. Unfinished tanks are welcome too. The course will be challenging for some tanks and drivers.
You're not required to complete every obstacle but you will loose points for bypassing them, or getting stuck. Also every tank that is entered is also in a static model competition that is voted on by the participants, not the judges. You get to pick your favorite tanks in each category.
This is going to be lots of fun. Bring out what ya got, show it off, sell it off and drive it like you stole it!After the obstacle course running is finished we will hold a few battles to finish out the day till everyone is ready to head out for home.Help with the clean up crew will also be appreciated.We really look forward to this event and lots of planning as gone into it to make it a success for everyone attending!
Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Fsttanks

This sound like a lot of fun. Count me in.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Wish I could make it, that sounds fun. I have commitments here in Colo. that weekend, so I will miss it. Please post pictures afterwards. Perhaps if you guys do a second annual event next year?

I do go out to Oceanside every summer, usually in June or July, so I hope to make it to one of you all's battles some day.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM
RichJohnson

Greg, D-day weekend is always the big tank event at the museum in LA if you ever plan around that.

As for this event, i have a lot planned. Sadly, i fear I may have more trophies than participants. I have been told a couple people cant make it out. Im kind of sad about it, but i have to schedule it when I and my friend can host it, thats it. We have to dodge two drill weekends and late in the year we get called up for wildfire duty too. Just been there done that but it still looms over the whole second half the year.
Ive spent a bunch of money and enourmous time planning and prepping for this event with the obstical course and accompanying model judging. I dont expect to recoup my costs and most of the money just gets put back into props for the field any way. I wanted to create something totally different that would be fun and challenging for everbody along with bringing your best looking models to show off, and encouraging swapmeeting as well.
We will see how well the turn out is. Ive promoted it as much as I can all i can do is hope. Tankers seem to be spread out and a small hobby at that so we will see.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If I didn't have an old pup to care for I'd come down just to watch. When I was a member of SFMYC years ago the timed events( predicted log) were
my favorite; it's a leveling even that boils down to driving skill and knowing one's machine. Also I like that you folks have set aside an area for
non combat capable tanks.

Have a great event gents.

Jerry
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Pah co chu puk

Rich,
I will see what I can do about D-day weekend next year.

Hosting any kind of event is usually a money drain. I appreciate that guys like you do stuff like this. Without events like the one you are hosting, this hobby would be a hollow shell of what it is now.

As for you being on duty. I appreciate that even more. Guarding our country, fighting fires, that's hero stuff.

P.S. The RGS track is almost done, and the rolling stock is all moved to the new site. Now we are just waiting on the engine!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 PM
RichJohnson

Oh boy, I havent been following lately, between the family, tanks and duty i sadly havent had the time to follow narrow guage goings on or work on model trains for about a year.
I had also organized a huge antiqe army jeep rally camp out that was in late march. What a job that was and Im still doing it for next year too. Im a glutton for puishment.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Fsttanks

Default Team Abrams vs. Team Bulldog

Team Bulldog has slapped Team Abrams in the face with an unprecedented challenge to defeat them without mercy at the upcoming San Diego tank trials. Team Abrams laughed at the Team Bulldog challenge, but accepted it. The Abrams team captain was heard to say of the Bulldogs captain "This little upstarts should remember his place....under my tracks". A reference to the Bulldog captain being used as a wrecked and broken obstacle earlier in the year (see photo below). Something he is sure the Bulldog leader remembers well.

Team Bulldog when asked why they slapped Team Abrams with the challenge said "These big tanks think they are all the S**T with their long wheel bases and super fast top end speeds, but we think they are going to be surprised at what we have been working on over the last few months. Thats all I will say to that!"

Meanwhile the Challenger 2 crew while busy working on their obstacle driving technics, took a moment to say, "Let those two bicker we will just sit back, watch them chase their tails and break parts trying to out do each other". The Pershing crew had no comments that can be posted here.

This looks to be shaping up to be a war of words that all are going to have to put up or shut up come Sept 1st. Who is going to prove once and for all that they are the best. Team Bulldog thinks its them, Team Abrams knows its not. So make sure you are there to see if the talk meets the walk of what is sure to be a classic battle of David and Goliath.

Team Bulldog ready to take on Team Abrams.

Team Bulldog's captain showing off for the cameras. Saying "payback is coming!"

Not to be out done. Team Abrams captain did some showing off of his own. Saying "If one is good two is better!"

Team Abrams captain reference to the Team Bulldog captain being under his tracks.

Challenger 2 and Pershing working on their driving technic.

Challenger 2 and Pershing sitting back watching Team Bulldog and Team Abrams chase each others tails.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 08-22-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM
RichJohnson

Hahahahah! Its kinda going to be like that LOL
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Fsttanks

Default Drone spy photos of possible new Team Bulldog member.

In our ongoing coverage of the upcoming San Diego R/C Tank Trials on Sept 1st and the grudge match challenge between Team BullDog and Team Abrams taking place at this years event, we uncovered something interesting.

Early this morning one of our micro spy drones filmed what appears to be a "new member" of Team Bulldog practicing on their secluded and very private test track. Unfortunately the drone was spotted and was "immobilized" (?). We did manger to capture about 3 minutes of this "new member" working through some obstacles and speed runs. Our thoughts are this is the "surprise" that the Team Bulldog captain was referring to earlier in the week. From what we could see in the video this "new member" is a departure in philosophy for Team Bulldog as it appears to be a much simpler tank. The track look like standard M41 metal track, but with the ability to grip and climb much better? Also it appears this tank has vastly more powerful engines as it acceleration was impressive and it kicked up large amounts of dirt during hard over power turns.

We showed a few photo outtakes from the video to Team Abrams captain. His only reply was to laugh and walk away. We did notice though a look of worry on his face.

Upon contacting Team Bulldog in an attempt to confirm our suspicion of this being their "surprise", we were told to not attempt another drone fly over. They then present us with what was left of our drone and said it mush have caught a gust of wind and crashed. Funny we did not know wind made .30cal wholes in metal and plastic.

Below are the photo outtakes we showed Team Abrams. What do you think? Is this a new surprise member of Team Bulldog? If so how will Team Abrams respond? Does this new member even effect the balance of the challenge thrown down between these two teams competing at this years San Diego R/C Tank Trials on Sept 1st. ?
First image of what appears to be a new member of Team Bulldog.

Last image before our drone signal was lost.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 08-24-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:55 PM
RichJohnson

Sweet!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:44 PM
RichJohnson

The trophies are nearly done. Two obstacle course trophie sets on the left and one for each voted favorite on the right.
Modern tank, Cold war tank, axis tank, allied tank, LAV, and oddest tank.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Cool trophys! Very nice. I am sorry I will miss it.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Fsttanks

Default Challenger 2 practice time

Just days away from the San Diego Tank Trials on Sept 1st and we caught up with the crew of the Challenger 2 during their morning practice. The crew had little to say and seem focus on the mission at hand. They invited us to watched them on the practice course and must say they looked well polished and professional attacking each obstacle with precision and purpose. Afterward we spoke with their maintenance crew about the the Challenger 2 and they were optimistic as to the performance excepted from their tank. The crew chief said "We don't know what kind of obstacles are being planned for the trials course so we are focusing on tuning the Challenger 2 for the best reliability we can which should give the crew the confidence to push her to the limit if needed".

Some outtakes from the Challenger 2 practice work up this morning.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 08-29-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
RichJohnson

Trophies are finally finished. The bases were as much work to cut sand and polish as the models were to build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.