Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Can't Decide on what board to purchase

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Can't Decide on what board to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
There is a post about the mako 2018 just a bit down the page right now.
He bought one expecting to plug his tamiya battle unit into it, only to learn it will not acdept the tamiya battle unit, but needs a special cable to go between the mako 2018 and the tamiya battle apple, bypassing the tamiya apple base.
Apparantly mako does not sell this cable or tell you where to get it.. He also had issues commincating with the RCTA people and didnt get any answers.
it was not usable for his needs so it seems he decided not to use it.
Not wishing to reignite the previous debate but I believe the position your pal posted is incorrect, a TBU will plug in, there's no need for a custom plug and if you actually talk to Kevin he's very helpful and might be able to sort you out. I contacted him via Facebook and got a reply within 24 hours. Despite your mates attitude I provided him Kevin's email to get round the issues with the form.
​Paired with a proper apple the ones at our club always worked fine, but as they say your mileage may vary.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The Mako is designed to be used with the Apple base. If you're going to eliminate the base, you're obviously going to need a different cable.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a few videos showing the sounds on the Tiger with the clark ( tk40/60/80) and how a Sbus operates VS the 4ch setup

Do drop me a pm , ore look me up on Facebook if you want more info . the tk40 packs some really nice features for its size and price
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sollie thank you for the vids and pics. when I click on http://norwegianrctank.weebly.com/ I keep getting the 404 error. I am really interested in the TK40, I was interested in the new Taigen V3 but when factoring in the wire kit and Mako2018 I am approaching and possibly surpassing the cost of the Clark. It isnt about the money so much as I am not willing to pay over what I think the boards are worth considering exchange rates. IBU is a great board as is elmod but this board will be for my son and I to battle for now. And the Clark seems to fit the bill in what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-19-2019, 08:45 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Hi Tom, I get what you are saying but the model he has, does not have a TBU compatible plug on the board like my IBU does.
Through his forum search on their site, he found the photos of the Tamiya Apple plugged in via that 5 pin JST to JST but did not see it for sale on their site or any other mention of it. It would also require fabricating a base, which he didn't want to do. He assumed as I did that he TBU would plug right in to the board like on my IBU. He doesn't use FB, I keep trying to get him on their as there is so much community extension there. Maybe eventually. He needs to use the Tamiya Apple as that is our club standard. We don't allow the blue ones because they only score one in several hits. So anything other than a Tamiya apple solution was not an option from the start.
I said try a clark 60 or 80 but he went all out and got a super Sherman! A better solution.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Hi Tom, I get what you are saying but the model he has, does not have a TBU compatible plug on the board like my IBU does.
Through his forum search on their site, he found the photos of the Tamiya Apple plugged in via that 5 pin JST to JST but did not see it for sale on their site or any other mention of it. It would also require fabricating a base, which he didn't want to do. He assumed as I did that he TBU would plug right in to the board like on my IBU. He doesn't use FB, I keep trying to get him on their as there is so much community extension there. Maybe eventually. He needs to use the Tamiya Apple as that is our club standard. We don't allow the blue ones because they only score one in several hits. So anything other than a Tamiya apple solution was not an option from the start.
I said try a clark 60 or 80 but he went all out and got a super Sherman! A better solution.
Can't go wrong with a super Sherman! I think I've got a compatible cable with a 5 pin jst 2.54mm pitch one end (for the apple) and the jst xt 2mm the other. Can pop it in an envelope and mail it over if it would help!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 AM
sollie

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
Sollie thank you for the vids and pics. when I click on http://norwegianrctank.weebly.com/ I keep getting the 404 error. I am really interested in the TK40, I was interested in the new Taigen V3 but when factoring in the wire kit and Mako2018 I am approaching and possibly surpassing the cost of the Clark. It isnt about the money so much as I am not willing to pay over what I think the boards are worth considering exchange rates. IBU is a great board as is elmod but this board will be for my son and I to battle for now. And the Clark seems to fit the bill in what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Wade
I put the webpage on pause , need to fresh it up :-) And now my name is spread by jungle drum for the most part :-)
Stian sollie on Facebook / messenger , ore pm me here, ore mail me : [email protected]
if you need more info :-)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Rebellion13

Ok thank you buddy....... will do. I am pretty sure I am going for the TK40.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was twice burned by the IBU so now very shy on that product. I liked the Clark but I didn't care for the wonky combinations of controls. I admit it was an older TK24 so maybe they have improved over time. I know I am a broken record, and they are expensive and possibly outdated but you really cant go wrong with Tamiya. They are pretty much bullet proof, simple to set up and the standard for a reason. If you hunt around, you can find a set for a good price on the second hand market.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Rebellion13

Cruiser, I appreciate the response, I have no problem paying for Tamiya elecs, but I for now this is just something for my son and I to mess around with. I have in the past had Tamiya dmd/mfu and yes they are robust......just not my thing anymore,,,,, driving around like a jack rabbit and such. I don't really have any plans on expanding the battling more then the two of us at this moment, maybe later just not now, no time "sigh", otherwise I would most likely go with Tam elec's. My other spare time which is limited is flying drones ,,,, some really nice vids I have of deer in our area. But anyway thank you for the advice.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Rebellion13

Oh and as you have stated, that brings to mind...the wonky controls.....do the TK40 boards give you the opportunity
to have movement on one stick and turret on the other?
Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Rebellion13

Crius, i blew the dust off the IBU board and it is the green board not the blue. I also have the old elmod board that i have never installed, i need to take a look at that too lol
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Those two boards should provide all you need for you and your son, just hook them up.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:16 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Oh and as you have stated, that brings to mind...the wonky controls.....do the TK40 boards give you the opportunity
Watch the Clark Sbus video a couple of posts up and it will show you how the TK40 works. From the video...it seems the answer would be yes. I have been looking for a comparison between the TK40 and the TK80, but can't seem to find it. What does the TK80 have over the TK40? I have also been looking for a good board for years now. Thought the TCB would fill that niche, but now that the production has probably stopped I'm looking again.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Rebellion13

I completely forgot about the Sbus config.....

I just ordered the flysky fs-i6s.....initially I was not fond of the styling but.....Sbus, 10ch, and buttons, plus self centering sticks I couldn't pass it up. Eventually I will add a flysky fs-i6x to the fleet, just because the original fs-i6 is an incredible value.... I would actually use this more then the spektrum i have had ....so much so that I sold the spektrum. Nothing wrong at all with those transmitters but I have had better performance with the flysky then the aforementioned. But that is just my opinion

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-21-2019, 06:48 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a programmable radio you should be able to assign stick positions to switches. That is how I have my tk22 boards set up. I even have it so the left stick up will elevate the main gun and left stick down depresses it. The lights, engine sound, mg are assigned to different switches and firing the main gun is done with a spring loaded switch. As for getting the turret rotation and gun elevation on the left stick and driving with the right I did that by connecting the appropriate radio channel to the appropriate channel input on the board.
I just received a TK40s 4ch from Sollie and I'm hoping to have some free time this weekend to get it set up the same way and drop it into a T34/76 that I have been working on. He was even kind enough to program it with the sounds I requested.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Rebellion13

That is great to hear, yes once I get all my ducks in a row I will have to contact sollie. Because I just might start to piece together a JS2 instead of the K Tiger I am working on. So I would need a JS2 sound set if that is the route I choose.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 AM
sollie

Originally Posted by tankme
Watch the Clark Sbus video a couple of posts up and it will show you how the TK40 works. From the video...it seems the answer would be yes. I have been looking for a comparison between the TK40 and the TK80, but can't seem to find it. What does the TK80 have over the TK40? I have also been looking for a good board for years now. Thought the TCB would fill that niche, but now that the production has probably stopped I'm looking again.
Both tk 40 and 80 have the ultrasonic ESC
both have adjustable battery treshold
both have the same soundchip
tk 80 have way more light options/outputs over the tk40 ( just like tk60 over the tk24) good for a modern tank.
tk80 have 2x 15 watt onboard amp ,and external audio input option
remote volum controll option
and more found here :
TK80 Series Tank Controller
Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 AM
sollie

That is great to hear, yes once I get all my ducks in a row I will have to contact sollie. Because I just might start to piece together a JS2 instead of the K Tiger I am working on. So I would need a JS2 sound set if that is the route I choose.

Cheers,
Wade
Here are my 'russian' soundsets

Old 11-20-2021, 04:22 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default FS-i6X set-up with Clark board

Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT
Hello fellow Pennsy resident, I'm south of Allentown by about 30 mins. I personally only have experience with Clark's boards. I have a Tiger 1 with a TK60 and I also have a Lowe with a new TK40. I have not had issues with either unit and the new TK series with S.Bus is extremely nice! Both are being run with a FS-i6X controller. Very easy to setup and run, been working on getting both setup for IR Battling.
Appreciate if anyone can provide a link to a thread or video for the FS-i6X setup with Clark board? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:26 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

If you need to know how to set it up with SBus, this is what I use: https://dakrctank.com/sbus-board-radio-config/
The following 2 users liked this post by tankme:
herrmill (11-22-2021), ronnie42 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:05 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks & had already been there but the i6X is not the i6S. I went ahead & ordered one of the latter to make it much simpler. Arrives tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:50 AM
Biasphere1

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone tell me if a 12V lead acid will fry a Clark board ? Would I have to regulate it ?
I have 2 12V DC motors for the drive the Spyker type for a 1/6 Scale Dragon Sherman.
Just wondering if I can use a Clark board for the drive motors or use a Sabertooth as well as an IBU,CLark,Elmod or other sound and action board.
Thank you Crius for your reply to my message , you are a champion.
I've followed this thread and rekicked it as it's basically similar to what I'm doing , I'm using similar equipment to the OP a Turnigy-i6S with either the TGY-iA6B or TGY-iA6C any tips or tricks ,as my other most modern other radio is a DX61 Spektrum I flew helo's with.
Anyone have a working control/sound board or Sabertooth to sell me 2nd hand for the shake down trials when model is ready.
Cheers guys .

Last edited by Biasphere1; 06-08-2022 at 02:56 AM.