Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What are the best, close motels in Danville?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What are the best, close motels in Danville?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What are the best, close motels in Danville?

What motels are close to the Danville AAF museum? We're having an Armortek tank meet there in September and the five of us attendees (so far) need to find out where's the best motels and good places to eat are.

THANKS! Mike
Old 07-11-2019, 09:20 PM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi Mike,
All of us "little tank" people (1/16 scale) stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites by the shopping mall. If you let them know that you are attending the AAF Museum for an event they will give you a bit of a discount.
What is the date of your "big tank" event? I would really like to come and check out the large scale Armortek models.
Hope this helps,
Larry B
Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Old MSgt

The Armortek meet is projected to be on Saturday, Sept 7 at the same time as the museum flamethrower demonstration day is. This is the first time some Armortek owners here in the US are going to try to have a scheduled meet.

As of now there's around five that are going to attend but hopefully they'll be more. The last Danville 'Battle Days' was attended by Johnny who talked with some attendees and is helping to get the Sept 7 Armortek meet organized.

Thanks Larry! And it'd be GREAT if you and everybody could come to the meet! And I've ran 1/16 for decades and enjoy'em. I definitely don't look at them as 'little', just somewhat easier to pick up!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-12-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:25 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Please post pic/videos as we all would like to see 6th scale meets here in the US like across the pond.

Oh and a great Mex place I always dine at, about a half mile on the way from the Comfort Inn to the Museum (dont know the name)

Last edited by heavyaslead; 07-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Old MSgt

Thanks Eric! 'Great Mex place' is all I need to know! And I'll have my camera and I know others will do videos to share.

Mike
Old 07-12-2019, 05:10 PM
1qaz

What if you were to move the Armortek gathering to the following weekend? Us little 1/16 tankers are having a battle meet that weekend (Sept 14), I think it would be fantastic to get all the models together for a weekend.
It would be an R/C tank meet for both groups, who knows maybe some of your Armortek guys might have a few 1/16th models sitting around that they would like to run at Danville?
It's just a thought
Old 07-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Old MSgt

We would LOVE to have our little meet the same weekend as the Battle Days! I emailed AAF (Natasha) and others have asked if we could meet on the 14th but were told the battlefield is ONLY scheduled for 1/16 battles that weekend

I got the impression the museum don't understand that our little Armortek group does NOT expect to use the 'battlefield' for OUR tanks. (I don't want PEED OFF 1/16 HIT SQUADS coming after ME!)

Johnny went to the last Battle and talked with some 1/16 tankers and said they were a good group of tankers. But he was told by the museum Sept 7 is the AAF Flamethrower weekend and we could attend then IF we can scrap up enough attendees to make it worthwhile for the museum to advertise. I don't even know if 4-5 of us will be enough to have a meet by ourselves.

So, while the public goes there on the 7th to stand around outside watching fire stuff, me and a few other guys are probably going to be sitting inside totally bored.

I would REALLY like to watch the battles and BS/hang out with other 'rc tankers'. This is the first time U.S. Armortek owners are trying to get together and having it on a weekend where there's other like-minded rc tankers there would be a lot more fun!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-13-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:32 AM
Awenzel1979

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be there for the 1/16 weekend and would love to see some of those bigger cats in action. Hope you all can get those dates worked out with the museum.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM
Old MSgt

Our little meet hasn't even been approved by AAF yet because they require a large enough number of us to show up to schedule it. And so far there's only 4-5 that said they'd try to make it.

As I said, I emailed Natasha and explained that we would prefer to attend the Battle Days when other rc tankers will be there. How I will be traveling 700 miles round trip, hauling over 1000 pounds of rc models, and any spectators that attend the popular Battle Days want to see remote control tanks. I was told it's the Sept 7 or not at all.

I just don't think there'll be that many spectators there on the 7th that'll even interested in our rc tanks, they're there for the flamethrowers.

Maybe if AAF heard that a lot of other rc tankers would like to see our 1/6 tanks it might make a difference!!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey gramps! They'll here from me even though I won't be there. It's a really long drive for us and I ain't getting any younger.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Old MSgt

Thanks Bob!! I'd really like to watch the Battles!!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:33 AM
sevoblast

Battles are great! Danville meets are one of the things I miss the most, the comradery, 'choir practice' at the local restaurants after the day's battles....it's a really grand time for all!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Old MSgt

There has never been an Armortek meet in the U.S. and we're trying to have the first one at the Danville AAF museum.

The owners of Armortek are behind us having one but since AAF only wants us there on the 7th when NO other rc enthusiasts or spectators are there... well, this could be the first and LAST chance for an Armortek meet in our country.

Thanks So Much for the help! I want it on the 14th!!!!

Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM
1qaz

Here is another idea, Have the Armortek meet on November 9th (the last 1/16 gathering of the year). I know I will be at the September 14th 1/16th battle weekend and I am thinking that if several of us approach the museum owner in person and push for having the large scale gathering in conjunction with the small scale battle event that it would make more of a case to mix the two into one final R/C tank event.
Talking to the powers in charge in person always has a better chance than doing it via -mail. I know several of the Danville tankers are on this forum so we could see if the "mixed meet" idea has any interest among us little tankers.
I for one would love to see some of the BIG models in action and talk R/C tanks in general, Maybe we should start a new thread and see if there is an interest with the Danville R/C tankers.

Any interest for this approach?
Larry B

Last edited by 1qaz; 07-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Old MSgt

GREAT IDEA LARRY! That would be fine with me but I have to see if there's any 'ripples' on the pond of the 'whinning' I've been putting out on the sites.

I just explained the scheduling we got on the Armortek (England) forum and made a plea on the H.E.A.T FB site to get the 14th so we'll wait a couple days to see if anything happens. Either it gets changed to Sept 14 or I'll hold off till Nov. (and see if the other owners are okay with it.)

November would be good! You can see where I'm coming from: Spend time at an RC TANK event or sitting BORED TO DEATH during an outside 'flamethrower' day (big whoop...)

YOU'RE A BRAIN LARRY!!

Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Old MSgt

Well, I was just told by HEAT that 'flamethrower day' is the 'BIGGEST AAF EVENT' of the year and that I shouldn't be trying to get the date we were given changed by going behind Natasha's back. When did I do that? I've emailed her and explained the reason we wanted the 14th...

Danville AAF was picked as a good place to have the first American Armortek Meet because of all the rc tankers that attend and I was looking forward to going.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM
1qaz

Mike,
let us know what you wish to do, I for one would love to see a "mixed" event that was just all about R/C tanks both big and little.
Keep me posted and if I can help by making a pitch at the museum then I'll be more than happy to do that (be aware that I have ZERO pull at the museum) but I can sure run it by the owner.
Have you tried calling and talking to Natasha? E-mails are so impersonal

Last edited by 1qaz; 07-14-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Old MSgt

Aww Larry. Johnny, who drove 500 miles to the last Battle Days (and talked with some 1/16 tankers) and went directly to Natasha face-to-face and explained. He was told we would ONLY be allowed to attend on Sept 7th.

And I've already told how I emailed her and was shut down HARD along the lines of, 'if you don't want to come on the 7th, don't come'. (I still have that email)

SOOO, before Danville was mentioned, there was talk of a 'swap meet' somewhere in Tennessee and some museum in Illinois. I was HOPEING to have it on the East Coast where I could drive to but the first meet will probably be in California or somewhere. The Armortek owner wants us to have one in the States and it will happen somewhere.

I give up. THANKS! Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM
sevoblast

Well, shucks Gramps. Pity it doesn't look like a 'go' for Danville.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:43 AM
1qaz

Hi Mike,
I sent you a PM.
Larry B
Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 AM
Old MSgt

We'll be having the very FIRST organized Armortek Meet in the United States at the Danville AAF Museum on Sept 7.

As I've mentioned before there's 4-5 of us owners attending (there may be more!) so figure on 10-12 large AFVs on exhibit to the public. We'll be driving them around and we REALLY enjoy answering any questions about'em so if you're in the area come to AAF and hang out!

Mike (who was told by his wife 'You build and work on those big tanks all the time and everybody (*i.e.: UPS guy, DISH repair guy, mail guy, etc.) who SEES them LOVES them. This is the FIRST chance you've had to take'em some place to show them to people who'll enjoy'em! So YOU NEED TO GET OFF YOUR AS..." well, you can imagine the rest of our 'few' discussions on it... so I'm going on Sept 7.)