Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Animatronic tank crew 1/16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Animatronic tank crew 1/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:16 AM
Captain Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animatronic tank crew 1/16

Hello everybody,

My name is Ron Wolf i am 40+ and i'm from Holland [Europe] and i build cars and tanks.

I'm looking for information about bringing my tank crew to life: commadant and driver.
I know how it works with seros, but i need a electronic control board that will have to be programmed.
Only I can simple solder electronics, but reading a diagram and programming that is not really my field of expertise if you are a Construction Painter.

To clarify, it concerns 2 crew persons:

- 1 tank commadant with binoculars as in the youtube video above, head from left to right and up and down and his arm moves up and down.
- 1 tank driver that can move its head from left to right and up and down.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards Ron [Captain Slow]

Last edited by Captain Slow; 10-09-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hi, Ron, and welcome aboard. There's a guy here named Jeff who has done some very interesting stuff with animatronic tank commanders. When I get home from work tonight I'll see if I can find you a couple of his videos. He's the guy that makes the German skeleton crew members and they look very cool. However, you can do the animatronics with any figure, it doesn't have to be a skeleton.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:24 AM
Captain Slow

Hi Crius, Thanks for your reaction, and i look out to this videos. Did you know the nickname from Jeff?

Greetz Ron [Captain Slow]
Old 10-10-2019, 01:31 AM
Crius

His user name is Ausf. I'm still looking for the video.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 AM
Captain Slow

Hi Crius, i sent Jeff a privat message, thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to the videos.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys.

I think this is what Crius is referring to:

This was just with servos along, I've since moved on to more sophisticated controls.

What you want to look into is Arduino. It's a programmable board that you can do a hack of a lot of stuff with. I use it to run different model functions instead of having to RC, including a lot of lights and sound work as well.

There are plenty of resources on how to get started with it, the boards are cheap since it's open source, a few dollars each and the code is often openly shared. It's worth learning how to write it, but you can certainly get started just copy and pasting existing code. There are alos kits that give you tutorials and parts to get started.

The sky is the limit with it really, 3D printers run off of them. I'll be using Arduino to automate ballast and trim tanks on RC subs this year, so I can just set steer, the board will run the servos to keep it level at depths or surface.

In terms of figures, I did a Frankenstein model that starts in it's pose, when there's no sound for a while, the head starts to look around, slowly at first, then drops it's arms and starts shaking them and relaxing. Then when theres another sound trigger or time limit, it snaps back to the original pose.

For 1/16 tanks, I'll eventually outfit my Tiger with a working driver, loader and TC. The driver will look around, the loader open the hatch and look around and the TC will use binoculars and have finger and head movement. Instead of having a 10 channel radio, I'll just let arduino run it with teh trigger either being gear/aux switches or by servo limits while driving.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Crius

Thanks, Jeff, that's one of the videos I was looking for. My favorite is the one with the three figures together. I will now leave this thread in your capable hands.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Hey Guys.

I think this is what Crius is referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONS58Loi5QY

This was just with servos along, I've since moved on to more sophisticated controls.

What you want to look into is Arduino. It's a programmable board that you can do a hack of a lot of stuff with. I use it to run different model functions instead of having to RC, including a lot of lights and sound work as well.

There are plenty of resources on how to get started with it, the boards are cheap since it's open source, a few dollars each and the code is often openly shared. It's worth learning how to write it, but you can certainly get started just copy and pasting existing code. There are alos kits that give you tutorials and parts to get started.

The sky is the limit with it really, 3D printers run off of them. I'll be using Arduino to automate ballast and trim tanks on RC subs this year, so I can just set steer, the board will run the servos to keep it level at depths or surface.

In terms of figures, I did a Frankenstein model that starts in it's pose, when there's no sound for a while, the head starts to look around, slowly at first, then drops it's arms and starts shaking them and relaxing. Then when theres another sound trigger or time limit, it snaps back to the original pose.

For 1/16 tanks, I'll eventually outfit my Tiger with a working driver, loader and TC. The driver will look around, the loader open the hatch and look around and the TC will use binoculars and have finger and head movement. Instead of having a 10 channel radio, I'll just let arduino run it with teh trigger either being gear/aux switches or by servo limits while driving.

Hope that helps.
this is extreme interesting. Do you have pictures of the boards, set ups and so on?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

That is really cool. The finger tapping is amazing. Bob
Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 AM
Captain Slow

Thanks Jeff en Crius,

Jeff this is what i mean, but i have no programming experience. And what Rad Schuhart ask for pictures of the board?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:17 AM
Captain Slow

Accidentally placed twice.

Last edited by Captain Slow; 10-12-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: accidentally placed twice
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 AM
Crius

If you go to Jeff's YouTube channel, to the homepage, the third video down is called "Stooges", and that's my favorite.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i'd like to put a moving driver and commander in my T-34 i have the hatch on a servo