Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Help please forward and reverse is backwards

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help please forward and reverse is backwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Robturtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please forward and reverse is backwards

Hello all.... I’m very new to the RC world. So I bought a heng long tank with the 6.0 mother board everything works great turns left and right by the controller the way it should. Then I bought a mato metal unit with the mato metal gears and motors. I put the heng long 6.0 mother board and everything else in the lower unit. Now the controls are backwards but just left and right not frontwards and backwards. So I switched the wires around thinking this was the problem but then the back and forth was backwards. So I don’t know what I need to do? Please help. And remember I’m new to RC sorry.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

The polarity on the mato motors is reversed from the heng long motors. Hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Robturtle

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
The polarity on the mato motors is reversed from the heng long motors. Hope that helps.
Thank you. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I just need to change the motors?
Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

It's been a while, but I think you just need to switch the black wire for the red, and the red wire for the black on the motors.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (05-05-2023)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The JST connectors have a small silver tab on them. You can use a small screwdriver or dental pick as shown to depress the tab on the pin and the pins can be slide out. Once out you can put the black in the red side and the red on the black side.

Push down on tab while pulling wire from the connector.

Shows the tab inserted and the tab outside the connector. If you need to you can bend the tab away from the wire if it doesn't stay re-inserted after removing it. The tab locks the wire in place.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (05-05-2023)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Robturtle

Thank you for the help. It worked!!!👍. I was just afraid of reversing the wires that it might hurt my mother board 😮. But so far so good. Now I know where to come for other questions.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:18 AM
tankme

In our little R/C world...reversing DC motor leads won't hurt anything. Most DC motors can be reversed. There are some that can't, but the motors we use in these tanks are typically industry standard RS type motors sizes (380, 390, 400, 480, 540, and 550) that are neutrally timed (as opposed to forward or reversely timed). The 540 and 550 motors are not common though due to their size, but there are transmissions that use them. Neutral timing means the motor runs at the same RPM regardless of whether or not it's being run forward or backward. A motor with a forward timing would run faster forward than reverse. A reverse timed motor would run faster in reverse than forward.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Robturtle

Well thanks again for the help. I greatly appreciate it. Like I said now I know who to ask when I run into a problem. I’m sure I’ll have a few. 😂
Old 01-12-2022, 12:09 PM
David2547

Default Dave

Interested in the reverse polarity. Your previous message
Hi can you assist me
I have fitted the new motor, but when I push the control stick back or forward the tank goes left or right and the left or right stick movement gives me forward and reverse.
would the reverse polarity cause this toi
Old 05-04-2023, 07:27 PM
tankme

Originally Posted by David2547
Interested in the reverse polarity. Your previous message
Hi can you assist me
I have fitted the new motor, but when I push the control stick back or forward the tank goes left or right and the left or right stick movement gives me forward and reverse.
would the reverse polarity cause this toi
David,

I never saw this post as it was a long time after the original post, but for others that might have this issue it could be one of two issues.

1. The first could be a setting in the controller where your board is set to use "Dual Current Motor" or "Double Current System" depending on the manual. That gearbox setting is for a special type of gearbox that uses a large 550 motor for forward motion and a smaller 300 series motor to change direction. You would need to press the G button and the Lock button at the same time to toggle the mode on or off. It should normally be off and this is documented in your manual.

2. The motors are in the wrong plugs and/or the polarity is reversed with the motors in the wrong plugs. Try switching the motor plugs and if that in itself doesn't work, you can try various combinations of switching the plugs and changing the polarity of the JST connectors until the motors run the way you want them to.