Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

German Dark Yellow...who makes one close

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

German Dark Yellow...who makes one close

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 04:46 AM
Snake Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Dark Yellow...who makes one close

Who makes a close Dark yellow..the taymia spray bombs are expensive and hard to cover because they are lacquer ..Does Rustoleum or Krylon make a close color ?
its 1/16 tank so theres lots to cover..And Id rather not airbrush right now
Old 05-10-2020, 06:06 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

What you need to know is that scale has a direct affect upon the strength of colour,
A small object painted from the same batch of colour as a large object will not look the same colour and that is why model paints are a different hue to commercial paints purporting to be the same.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I looked hard for the 'correct' Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow) RAL 7028. I did a lot of comparisons with different company's paint charts and even ordered different bottles and none was what I liked.

Searching the web I found that Hessen Antiques in Atlanta has the Dunkelgelb I REALLY LIKE. They deal in military antiques and sell a lot of their helmets/equipment to reenactors. They wanted their German colors to be exactly right on so, with all the old German surplus they've acquired, they formulated the correct shade for Dunkelgelb from little protected areas of equipment that was original. They have it in 12oz spray cans that are FULL. They sell'em for around $10 each.

I'm building a 1/6 King Tiger so I ordered three cans thinking it would take a lot more than that but just the FIRST can painted the bottom of the hull, front lower plate, lower sides, under the sponsons, and a lot of the little attached parts. Then I started on the second can and did all the road wheels and swingarms and the can is still VERY full. Each of these HEAVY cans last a LONG time! It covers quickly and evenly and dries fast.

Everybody who's seen this RAL 7028 likes it! Check out the Hessen Antiques site.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 05-10-2020 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bcmfin (05-15-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
I looked hard for the 'correct' Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow) RAL 7028. I did a lot of comparisons with different company's paint charts and even ordered different bottles and none was what I liked.

Searching the web I found that Hessen Antiques in Atlanta has the Dunkelgelb I REALLY LIKE. They deal in military antiques and sell a lot of their helmets/equipment to reenactors. They wanted their German colors to be exactly right on so, with all the old German surplus they've acquired, they formulated the correct shade for Dunkelgelb from little protected areas of equipment that was original. They have it in 12oz spray cans that are FULL. They sell'em for around $10 each.

I'm building a 1/6 King Tiger so I ordered three cans thinking it would take a lot more than that but just the FIRST can painted the bottom of the hull, front lower plate, lower sides, under the sponsons, and a lot of the little attached parts. Then I started on the second can and did all the road wheels and swingarms and the can is still VERY full. Each of these HEAVY cans last a LONG time! It covers quickly and evenly and dries fast.

Everybody who's seen this RAL 7028 likes it! Check out the Hessen Antiques site.

Mike
Mike I did this morning before you posted this! Thanks for the reply and review .. I’ll order up a couple of can this afternoon
Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 AM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by jarndice
What you need to know is that scale has a direct affect upon the strength of colour,
A small object painted from the same batch of colour as a large object will not look the same colour and that is why model paints are a different hue to commercial paints purporting to be the same.
I get all that .. not a rivet counter but would have liked it close .. I searched more and found some that’ll I’ll try
Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 AM
Michal_Kaczorowski

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Also "real" Dunkelgelb was in many shades aparently Here is real preserved Panzer IV part:

Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

We've gone over this again and again in the static scale aircraft Hobby, and everyone wants their colors to be exactly right, but no one seems to remember that if you paint an airplane or a tank and then take it out to the tarmac and park it in the sunshine for about a month it's going to be a different color. I just try to get my colors as close as I can and when they look good to my eye call them finished. I would advise you to do the same thing, just get it close and when it looks good enough for you that will be fine. Remember, it's your tank and the only one you have to please is yourself.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Even that piece of authentic armor probably doesn't represent the actual original color as Crius pointed out as it has oxidized and color shifted over the years. By the time you add weathering the color will change anyway.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:39 PM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by Crius
We've gone over this again and again in the static scale aircraft Hobby, and everyone wants their colors to be exactly right, but no one seems to remember that if you paint an airplane or a tank and then take it out to the tarmac and park it in the sunshine for about a month it's going to be a different color. I just try to get my colors as close as I can and when they look good to my eye call them finished. I would advise you to do the same thing, just get it close and when it looks good enough for you that will be fine. Remember, it's your tank and the only one you have to please is yourself.
I should have been more clear..I wanted to find a Less expensive and more durable option than the Tamiya ..in spray bomb..The shade as long as its not way off would have worked..I found Hessian Antiques and used some tonight ..shade darker than Tamyia ..looks good!
Old 05-15-2020, 03:41 PM
Snake Wrangler

Originally Posted by Old MSgt

Mike
Mike you where right! ..looks good and easy to use ..Thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Old MSgt

Hi Snake Wrangler!

The old picture I posted on here had that shadow from the light above and didn't show the tone better. Here's a couple I took this afternoon with more overhead light hitting the color directly. And the sun will REALLY show the dark yellow better but I'll have to drive it outside for that. Glad you like the Hessen Antiques Dunkelgelb 7028 as much as I do!

Mike

Snake Wrangler (05-18-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, Mike that has come a long way!!! Color is great.
The following 2 users liked this post by MAUS45:
Old MSgt (05-19-2020), Snake Wrangler (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:35 PM
Old MSgt

Thanks Maus!

I really like this Hessen Antiques Dunkelgelb 7028.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 05-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Snake Wrangler (05-20-2020)