Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Blacken metal tracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

heating up in oven is a good idea. But I was also worried about that heat would change the shape of some links. Have you ever tried to heat them up before?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM
Enzo_K

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
Before and after.

Before. You can see all bottom half of the track link teeth have a different color. They are actually shinner than you could see in this photo(especially in the shade of hull while running).

After. Those teeth are now in 3 sections of color. the top being the Tamiya nato black, the primer, and the Super Blue at the bottom.

BTW I wipe the treated part with a cotton swab dipped in some baking soda mix(1 teaspoon of baking soda and 4 cups of water). I forget to mention this yesterday. This might be crucial to protecting your tracks and paints from excess Super Blue.

Will do a running test later today, had to charge the battery.
After running the tank for about 5 minutes, with harsh turns mostly. Some of the colors got scratched away. It still holds up better than my primer coat does. It still leaves a dark color on the heavily scratched parts.

I will try to apply the Super Blue multiple times with the same method later.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:42 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not. Just gun barrels.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Enzo_K

I think the gun barrel is safer to be heated up as it is a single piece of metal. However, track links that have pins in each one of them might have trouble with the heat.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Enzo_K

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
After running the tank for about 5 minutes, with harsh turns mostly. Some of the colors got scratched away. It still holds up better than my primer coat does. It still leaves a dark color on the heavily scratched parts.

I will try to apply the Super Blue multiple times with the same method later.
I repeated the same process for each track 4 times. Wipe the area with only water in between(no baking soda this time, was hoping the chemical penetrate deep into the metal).
Then I lubricate both tracks with some vegetable oil(the oil will have to be cleaned for future applications of Super Blue). Gonna do a running test after dinner.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Enzo_K

After running the tank for about 5 minutes. Here is the result.

The very bottom of the link tooth is getting scratched away no matter what. But the rest of the color holds up better than my primer coat. It may still get grinding away in future runs. But reapplying Super Blue is easier than repainting your metal tracks entirely(took me about 15 minutes to apply both tracks, 4 times each).

So here you go, Super Blue as a blackening method for metal tracks. Please share your experience if you have a better method of blackening metal tracks.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I just don't see the concern with blackening tracks. I must a be a bad modeler. The tracks are metal, most metals oxidize normally and change colors. Parts that
rub wear and can become shiny.

So what? You guys are lucky that your tracks aren't aluminum or bronze...

Jerry