Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Run time

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 03:11 AM
Snake Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run time

Morning! I know this has been asked before and I’ve looked but now that I finished my KT
I tested it and ran it straight out in a figure 8 and get 4 mins run time .. is that normal?
so my question is what is the best way to get the most out of it.. best battery and charger .. whatever I need to do it right
thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2020, 03:22 AM
heritage19

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, that doesn't seem normal to me. Depending on the tank , it's weight, and the type of battery you are using all factor in on run time. My mostly metal Taigen tanks will run a good half hour on a 2000 mah lipo battery. My Tamiya tanks will run longer due to the fact they are lighter. Even with nimah batteries I get a good 15 to 20 minutes. I use a Traxxas battery charger that will charge most types of batteries.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 AM
Snake Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heritage19
No, that doesn't seem normal to me. Depending on the tank , it's weight, and the type of battery you are using all factor in on run time. My mostly metal Taigen tanks will run a good half hour on a 2000 mah lipo battery. My Tamiya tanks will run longer due to the fact they are lighter. Even with nimah batteries I get a good 15 to 20 minutes. I use a Traxxas battery charger that will charge most types of batteries.
thats what I thought .. but the batteries could be suspect.. I’m going to run my Tiger on them and see if it’s a battery or tank thing
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

The very first Tank I bought ( A Heng Long Panzer4) would not run and it transpired that the brand new Heng Long Battery was cr*p,
Once it was replaced with an aftermarket battery all was well,
The lesson I learned was to never trust the electrical ancillaries on new Tanks.
The following users liked this post:
Snake Wrangler (05-26-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:14 PM
H2Ohaze

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a new metal Taigen Tiger 1, 15 Lbs. I run it in short grass up and down 15% inclines. I have four 5000mah 7.2V NiMh batteries that are tired 4 year old batteries- I have an old beloved HiTec charger which I used to try and recover the old batteries. I can both monitor the charge going in total and how fast it is trying to recharge. I've used this before to discover batteries that just are not taking a charge and will last only a minute or so in a tank vs good batteries. These chargers are almost generic, I've found many companies selling them, like the cheaper IMax B6:
Amazon Amazon

(If you don't have a 12V power supply, you may want to get the version with that built in)
Three of the four batteries just are gone, but I was able to screen out one battery that was still able to hold a charge. For this 5000mah which can hold a full charge, the tank lasted 50 minutes, with a couple minutes left over to spin the tracks to dislodge grass. I also have a new 3000mah "Imex" battery, which lasted 30 minutes. I would say it's important to have a charger which displays all the detail and allows parameter adjustment- not just a simple single red light on/off. The Tamiya/Kyosho white plugs can also come loose after awhile and stop the tank. I sometimes use Deans plugs, XT60 plugs are popular in general also.
Batteries: In USA I use MaxxPacks, Batteriesamerica, but a lot of brands are good.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 05-31-2020 at 04:41 PM.