Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What to do with the metal tow cables on Tiger 1?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What to do with the metal tow cables on Tiger 1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:29 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do with the metal tow cables on Tiger 1?

This thread is about the questions in the title, what to do do with the metal tow cables on a Tiger 1. I was thinking about hanging them somewhere on the tank, but there is just no spot. I will just have to find some way to make hooks. If you have any ideas or past builds, please post them here.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 AM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

What about putting them in the stowage clamps where they were normally carried?

Old 09-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

They go on the back deck, like in this photo. That's how they were mounted on the real thing. As for hold down brackets, most guys use photo etch from aber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e60f1530085f77cae9e2ac3ceec4e1a7.image.504x378.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	2268207
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Smile Tow rope stowage.

Originally Posted by 1qaz
What about putting them in the stowage clamps where they were normally carried?

I don't wish to seem picky but for the sake of accuracy the early Tunisian Tiger 1s stowed their tow ropes with the big loop at the front and the attachment lugs at the back.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:58 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about doing that, I just did not know where to get the clamps to hold it into place. The camoflauge that my tank is painted in is like a Battle of Kursk style during the more fall period of the battle so as for which direction they go (loop in front or back), I assume it is loop in back. Where can I find these clamps? Also my tiger doid not have a fire extingusher on or with it. Is this a separate upgrade you did?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's an idea, quite common practice.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:19 AM
jarndice

Because of the Covid 19 virus Poland (ABERS Base)is not allowing any parcels from that country to the USA,
If you goto www.forgebeartanks.com Dave will probably have the "ABER" clamps in stock although he has a separate line of ready to fit tow cable clamps marked as Cable Clamps which you will find in his on-line shop under the Tiger 1 heading.
As to your fire extinguisher, if your Tank is a Heng Long or a Taigen/Torro .it should be on a separate sprue,But if not, finely detailed versions are readily available from many Dealers including the aforementioned Dave
Peddinghaus sell very accurate decals for the German Army Fire Extinguisher.

Last edited by jarndice; 09-13-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:12 AM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Jarndice,
It sounds like you are being "correct" not picky, I built my Tamiya Tiger I box stock. Do you have any photos of the cables looped around the front? I have never seen them stowed that way, never stop learning something new!
Old 09-14-2020, 05:33 AM
jarndice

Default Tow Ropes.

Originally Posted by 1qaz
Jarndice,
It sounds like you are being "correct" not picky, I built my Tamiya Tiger I box stock. Do you have any photos of the cables looped around the front? I have never seen them stowed that way, never stop learning something new!
There are more modifications that identify an Early Tunisian Tiger1 than reversed Tow Ropes,
From the front the spare track holder is not a usual fitting,,
Headlights were as often not in place as were, They would then be stowed in the Tank,
The barrel cleaning rods are one rod short of the later Tiger1 early on each side,
The stereoscopic Gunners sight was flat against the turret main gun mantlet unlike the later sight which protruded by 10/15mm in a cube shape,
The Escape Hatch on the turret was a later fitting,
The Tunisian Tiger 1 early had two pistol ports(One each on opposite sides of the turret)
The front and rear fenders were quite different from the later hinged variant and the exhaust shrouds were not semi-circular as the later Tiger 1 had but were more "V" Shaped with three vents on each of the four upper sides of the pair of shrouds.,
The Feifal Air Cleaners consisted of four separate pots unlike the later oval shape air cleaners.
"ABER" make the early pattern Air cleaners as well as the early Front and rear fenders they also make the early type exhaust shrouds.
All of these "ABER" products are available from dealers in Germany and the UK.

Last edited by jarndice; 09-14-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Here’s some views of my initial production Tiger showing some very early features.

Last edited by Tankster; 09-14-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM
jarndice

I think the best thing about your beautifully accurate very Early Tiger1 Jim is that it gives the lie to people who say if you have seen one Tiger 1 then you have seen them all,
When you consider how few Tiger1s were built,(Less than 1400) the physical differences as well as the official and the forward workshop modifications still surprises me as I continue my search through the many documents and photographs that are available.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That’s very true, jarndice. And as I’ve said 100 times before, YOU are the reason I began my quest to build an accurate initial production Tiger. No doubt about it. Almost every modification I’ve done is a result of you sharing knowledge with me. I’ll always be indebted to you for that.
Thank you.