Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Abrams steering problem.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Abrams steering problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 11:46 AM
VPaladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Abrams steering problem.

I am running my Abrams with a Finespec24G with channels 1 and 4 swapped using the programming features built into the transmitter so all tank movement is on joystick 1. The tanks goes forward and back and turns right but will not turn left. I had previously used this transmitter and receiver on the Tamiya Pershing. I found I had to "write" the default button options on the A tank program, but I do not think this is the problem. I don't know if the is a electrical or transmitter problem or a mechanical one (I had no movement at all until I found there was a missing pin in one of holes of thegearbox shaft with two holes in the gear box and put the missing pin in, there are now three pins in the gear box shafts holes which appears correct.). Any suggestions as to cause/fix of the problem would be appreciated.
Thank You in advance.

BTY: The Pershing is running great using a Futaba T4YF with the joystick mod and function buttons I added (gun, mg, lights, clutch) following instructions on this forum (I do not remember the post, but thank whoever posted the instructions.)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:36 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a Tamiya Abrams with some steering problems but mine were specifically tied to gearbox issues. The steering drive in my tank at first wouldn't turn either way until I took it all apart and found broken gears for the stock setup. I added DKLM steel gears and now I steer fine but it clicks when I turn. Can't wait to open that up! On a side note, I have a Tamiya Sheridan using the Finespec radio and it runs great except my function buttons do not work at a all.... Still learning on that one....
Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by VPaladin
I am running my Abrams with a Finespec24G with channels 1 and 4 swapped using the programming features built into the transmitter so all tank movement is on joystick 1. The tanks goes forward and back and turns right but will not turn left. I had previously used this transmitter and receiver on the Tamiya Pershing. I found I had to "write" the default button options on the A tank program, but I do not think this is the problem. I don't know if the is a electrical or transmitter problem or a mechanical one (I had no movement at all until I found there was a missing pin in one of holes of thegearbox shaft with two holes in the gear box and put the missing pin in, there are now three pins in the gear box shafts holes which appears correct.). Any suggestions as to cause/fix of the problem would be appreciated.
Thank You in advance.

BTY: The Pershing is running great using a Futaba T4YF with the joystick mod and function buttons I added (gun, mg, lights, clutch) following instructions on this forum (I do not remember the post, but thank whoever posted the instructions.)
A simple process of elimination step I would try is to reverse the turning motors wires (red to black, black to red kind of thing) If there is a problem with the electronics it should cause the problem to now be on the opposite side. If it is a motor or gearbox problem then this to should present itself as well.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-22-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM
VPaladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abrams Steering Problem.

My Abrams appears to have an an extra gear. I will check the gearbox to see if I have the right one in, but first I will switch channels back to 1 2 3 4. Currently I am running 4 1 2 3. To get a tank to utilize the buttons it has to a later model, the Pershing will not run on the 24G but I do not know if the Sheridan will, ask on the forum. For the Abrams I had go to tank A on the screen to see the function of each button and the scroll down and hit write. The buttons then worked.
Thank You for your reply