Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Taigen Leo won't complete power up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Taigen Leo won't complete power up

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:25 PM
sclui

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Taigen Leo won't complete power up

After waiting for 1.5 mo, the Leo arrived yesterday and I am excited, except for a couple of broken pieces and a missing higher-cap battery, everything seems to be fine. I got time to pull it out tonight and was going to give it a spin, started it up, flipped the left switch, sound came on but no stick response. 15-20 seconds later, sound went away, and headlights still blinking, it simply won't run. If I flip the left switch again, the same thing happened all over.

I checked all connections going into the MFU, nothing was loose, but I reseated all the connectors, still the same thing. I am suspecting a failed MFU ATM, anything else I could try? TIA.

p.s. still waiting for email response from Taigen for the missing battery, now I think I got a bigger problem.

Last edited by sclui; 04-08-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:55 AM
Anubizz

Do you charge the battery for 6 hour? this common problem , i do the same thing in the beginning.

Last edited by Anubizz; 04-09-2021 at 12:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tomthetomcat (04-11-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:52 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That's classic low-battery behavior. Is this your first tank? Have you gotten a decent charger yet? I usually recommend a decent charger at the same time you order that first tank. The stock chargers are garbage and should be the first upgrade on a first tank.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:35 AM
sclui

Thanks for both responses. I agree this looks like low battery at first, but I had 4 other fairly new batteries for the other tanks and they're all fully charged, I even made sure the batteries were fine with the others before posting. I do have decent chargers and not using the wall wad.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Give us a bit to respond, we are a bit behind atm on support. Will have people working through the weekend to catch up.
tomthetomcat (04-11-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 03:36 PM
sclui

I wanted to come back to tell Annubiz & Crius that you were right, but I went home, not only taking a reading from the cells but also had them on the charger, then I tried again on the Leo, same thing, ie no start. I will try to look at the MFU board to see if anything obvious, but I think it's going to be one of those hard-to-find electronic gremlins ... oh well.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:37 PM
sclui

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Give us a bit to respond, we are a bit behind atm on support. Will have people working through the weekend to catch up.
Thanks Erik, appreciate that.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 AM
tomthetomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the battery that did not fully charge the first time.
When I first plugged it in it was somehow not well charged after e couple of hours and did the same thing as yours.
Don't worry there is always a remedy. If it is the motherboard it can be replaced too. Of course this should be a warranty issue.

Cheers - Robert
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Old 04-11-2021, 11:23 AM
sclui

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately I had to rule out the batteries since I tried multiple ones that were checked out to be good. The upside is that the electronics in these models are not overly complex other than the MFU so it should be easy to isolate. I also pull the MFU from the casing to see if anything was obvious, i.e. broken trace, bad solder, cracked board, etc. but nothing really showed up, wires continuity to the plugs are good.

Just have to wait for IMEX to respond before moving forward. The only problem is that IMEX handles support issues via email alone, while I have yet to hear back, I suspect the first response I get is most likely asking me if I checked the batteries, and there goes another 24 hours, haha.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:23 AM
tomthetomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All clear, please keep us posted how this ends. Robert
Old 04-12-2021, 04:45 PM
sclui

Red face

Originally Posted by tomthetomcat
All clear, please keep us posted how this ends. Robert
Sure will, spent the day trading emails and the tech wanted to see a video of binding with the stock Tx/Rx. Looks like a longer journey than expected, fresh batteries in Tx and properly charged NiMH, not sure what else they will ask for. Fingers crossed.
tomthetomcat (04-14-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM
sclui

Well, Erik came through and I received the replacement parts today, he has been more than generous with the extra parts, battery, etc. plus a partial credit to my purchase price for the "trouble", absolutely amazing, especially in light of the pandemic. The short story is that it WAS NOT a flat battery, something was off in the MFU that cannot be detected with naked eyes. Once I replaced the MFU, rebind the Tx/Rx, the unit fired up without any issue. It ran through all the functions just as it should. The model was already impressive in its size and weight before it was running, and is even more so now.

Thanks to all the help from Taigen and here, Will be busy running and getting the small parts installed...
tomthetomcat (05-22-2021)