Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

General apologies to all

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 03:25 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default General apologies to all

I wanted to make a general apology to anyone who has sent me a private message only to not hear back from me.

It's not a great excuse but it is true: I seldom get messages here so I'm not accustomed to looking for the little notification
symbol at the top of the page. I just replied to a few messages I had.

The infrequent use of the message function is made worse by the browser (Seamonkey) I use which behaves very poorly when confronted
with all the background activity and info mining functions that that the RCU site launches. The memory footprint of this browser
literally doubles whenever I bring up the site and even though my PC is a fast one with 32gig of memory the performance of the browser is awful.

I've been trying to use MS Edge more and more but this browser is still like a comfortable pair of old slippers...

Again apologies...

Jerry
Old 05-01-2022, 12:54 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It took me me nearly 2 years to discover PMs and how to access them
Old 05-01-2022, 03:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

One has to wonder why an RC related site would have so much "background activity". And it seems to have started a few years ago when the new owners took over.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:55 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
One has to wonder why an RC related site would have so much "background activity". And it seems to have started a few years ago when the new owners took over.
As the saying goes, if something is free for you, you’re the product.

They’re selling your content, your personal information, (probably) tracking and browsing cookies then feeding you ads along with the forum content and all that
Old 05-01-2022, 08:53 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by cleong
As the saying goes, if something is free for you, you’re the product.

They’re selling your content, your personal information, (probably) tracking and browsing cookies then feeding you ads along with the forum content and all that
You are right about targeted ads; for most of the pages that are presented here, at least for me, there is at least as much ad content as forum content and in many instances
more ad content than forum content. I'm a pretty active buyer of all sorts of stuff via the net but happily I'm able for the most part ignore ad content so the effort is lost on me.
It's merely a nuisance that I've conditioned myself to ignore and if it becomes too invasive I close the page. Usually when whatever browser I'm using begins to exhibit so much latency
due to script overhead it's time to go.

If you are curious about the demand on your device if it's a PC bring up task manager just before you open the page and watch the memory and CPU usage..

Jerry
Old 05-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque
You are right about targeted ads; for most of the pages that are presented here, at least for me, there is at least as much ad content as forum content and in many instances
more ad content than forum content. I'm a pretty active buyer of all sorts of stuff via the net but happily I'm able for the most part ignore ad content so the effort is lost on me.
It's merely a nuisance that I've conditioned myself to ignore and if it becomes too invasive I close the page. Usually when whatever browser I'm using begins to exhibit so much latency
due to script overhead it's time to go.

If you are curious about the demand on your device if it's a PC bring up task manager just before you open the page and watch the memory and CPU usage..

Jerry
That is why ad blockers exist. I don't even remember last time I had an ad in any website or youtube.
I am currently using "Ublock origin" in my firefox navigator and works perfectly, both in PC and phone.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:50 PM
Tanque

I am also using Ublock origin. I use MS Edge, Chrome, Firefox ( with Fireplug installed since when I was a developer) and my go to browser is still SeaMonkey - the direct descendant of Netscape Navigator and Communicator. Just another Mozilla flavor, I used it forever because of the built in client email reader but I've since 2017 finally moved on to Outlook. I'm terribly old fashioned - I don't like reading my email on the 'web'....

I think there was a problem once using Ublock with Seamonkey for some pages but since you mentioned it I reactivated it for RCU and it seems to behave itself...

It's a blessing not to be assaulted by all the crap!

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 05-01-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:28 AM
RichJohnson

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

Ssh.... dont tell them we block their ads.....
Old 05-02-2022, 09:04 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

To make matters worse, there's actually two kinds of private message, the regular kind and then the ones left on one's profile page. I always miss those, as I rarely visit my profile page. The regular kind shows up rather prominently on my phone so those are hard to miss, but the profile page messages have gotten me more than once. I went there once and found a message that was almost two years old. Doh!!

I just write it off as old age creepin' up on me, givin' me a little preview of what's ahead. So don't worry too much about it, Jerry, stuff happens, and for those that get bent out of shape about the little stuff, well, what's that they say about those that can't take a joke? Bwahahaha
Old 05-02-2022, 08:31 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

That message box is small I don't notice there is a new one for days .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-03-2022, 01:49 AM
Crius

If I'm sending a private message to someone who is also involved in one of the same threads that I am I will usually post a little note there telling them, hey, I sent you a private message. I feel a little bit bad about hijacking someone's thread for that but it's not really a big deal and so far no one has complained about it. And that way you know the guy you're trying to contact has been informed that there is a message waiting for him.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:00 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

People can leave messages on my profile page? I had no idea they could do that. 12 years on this forum and I had no idea. My apologies to anyone who left me a message there.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
People can leave messages on my profile page? I had no idea they could do that. 12 years on this forum and I had no idea. My apologies to anyone who left me a message there.
Neither did I. It's hard to believe you don't get a flag that one is there.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:03 AM
Crius

You do get a flag, but you can only see it when you visit your profile page.