Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TongDe M60

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 11:35 PM
Delta_19

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
After much back and forth private communication with Mr Coolbank Wang about his M60 and what that kind of model needs to operate well, and what the people in our hobby expect out of an RC Tank at this time, and then the public banter between us on his facebook page about listening to what customers expect, I dont have faith that he is going to produce a tank model as good a quality as the current henglong tanks. He refuses to show us the transmissions or to state if it has an active or adjustable idler wheel. Which is absolutely necessary to keep the tracks on. I know from experience in building my DKLM M60 which is now a superb runner and battler.

At this time, based on what I see and what I know and what I conclude, I am NOT going to buy one of these tanks when they are released to review as the product tester. I feel I would be throwing my $200 in the trash as I know if the idler doesnt move, in short time the track WILL stretch out and then come right off when you turn. (Think pre 6.0 abrams, remember those?) Unless he has found some miracle to keep it retained on the tank. Videos of it driving on a hard surface floor don't mean anything. He is fixated on it being a toy and not a hobby tank, yet he is advertising it all over the facebook tank hobby groups and with his other upgrades is clearly marketing to the hobbyist. My decision may change in the future if more info is presented but I have other irons in the fire, other tanks to build etc etc. We are going to have to rely on Fsttanks to buy one and thrash it as he does so well if he deems it worth buying. Sorry, I just have a bad feeling about his M60 offerings and its sad, this is probably our hobbys only shot at a mass marketed one.
had to go look at this for myself, and yeah talking about how we are just randoms telling the cowboy how to raise his cows. No we aren't randoms, we are your future customers and we are telling you what we want. We want a tank on par with V6 henglong tanks and if you fail to give us that then your company will fail.

Metal gearbox, henglong/tamiya compatible IR, adjustable idler tension. That's the basics of what we want. You give us that in the first version of your tanks will do will but, with the constant deflection on any of these question you know we aren't getting that.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:39 AM
RichJohnson

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

O M G so today Coolbank wang drops the hammer and puts his money where his mouth is. All the stuff I have been telling him that we want and is necessary he delivers with photos.
He says it still has plastic tranys, MFU is not determined, its blurred out and he says it has adjustable idler wheel and tortion bar suspension.
Why could he not present these pictures when I privately communicated with him, why would he not state yes it has those attributes but I cannot show pictures right now?
Instead he started banter publicly. I just dont know.... Maybe they did not exist until today, like how he upgraded the rear of the tank scale looks. Its still prototyping phase it appears to me.
Any way here are the important pics. So things have changed, again and I will have to try one out.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:07 AM
Delta_19

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
O M G so today Coolbank wang drops the hammer and puts his money where his mouth is. All the stuff I have been telling him that we want and is necessary he delivers with photos.
He says it still has plastic tranys, MFU is not determined, its blurred out and he says it has adjustable idler wheel and tortion bar suspension.
Why could he not present these pictures when I privately communicated with him, why would he not state yes it has those attributes but I cannot show pictures right now?
Instead he started banter publicly. I just dont know.... Maybe they did not exist until today, like how he upgraded the rear of the tank scale looks. Its still prototyping phase it appears to me.
Any way here are the important pics. So things have changed, again and I will have to try one out.

Saw that too and posted on hobbysquawk. Its pretty exciting news. Hopefully its henglong/tamiya IR compatible.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:40 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Heng Long has come a long way that we sometimes forget they (continue to) put out gems like these:

Old 11-10-2022, 03:06 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

It is easy to sneer at Heng Longs early 1/16 r/c Tanks but I guarantee that the majority of us who were attracted to the hobby started with a $50 Heng Long Tiger 1 even though almost all of us aspired to owning a $600+ Tamiya Tiger 1 but could not afford it.
And be truthful how much did you learn from rebuilding the Heng Long that you would never have learnt from Tamiya's perfect and frankly boring example ?
The following users liked this post:
keilau (05-09-2023)
Old 11-10-2022, 04:27 AM
cleong

Hardly sneering at HL, but more of reminding the critics that every manufacturer has to start somewhere in order to pay the bills and keep the lights on - if one can turn a profit of $100 for each less accurate tank than $20 for each accurate one and both tanks sell the same volume, it’s a business decision.

Heck, one can consider dropping the price on the less accurate tanks just to maximise the molds and sell even more tanks.

If Tamiya was solely an RC Tank maker I doubt they would be in business for long - RC tanks is probably one of their halo products, supported by more mundane and simple products like 1/35th scale armour and mini 4WD.
tiger rampage (11-10-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 09:45 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would be more upset after paying 1000$ for a Tamiya so-called 'super sherman'...
Old 11-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by borealis
I would be more upset after paying 1000$ for a Tamiya so-called 'super sherman'...
And why would you be upset? You get to build AND drive a model with probably quadruple the amount of higher quality parts ( thicker and higher-quality plastic / metal parts, less noisy gearboxes, dedicated electronics featuring model appropriate sounds recorded from original vehicles either at a museum or at the manufacturer, etc... ) With HL & Co. you get nowadays barely any cheaper ARTR Models where most if not all of the metal parts are unpainted, have questionable Battery Compartment locations, super noisy Gearboxes producing unproportional movements, dozens of Tanks all featuring the same 4 Sound Packages most of which were stolen from Tamiya. WHY would YOU be UPSET at Tamiya?🤨

Why would you even compare ANY of the other companies with Tamiya when NONE of them offer Kits with hundreds of parts packaged in dozens of blisters and bags YOU have to build instead relying on A/RTR "Kits" that can be assembled in as few steps with as few parts possible in a sweatshop only applying a lick of paint on precoloured plastic to represent a camoflage pattern? Just because they happen to have the same scale and similar features once "In Use" ( being an RC Tank Model with Functionality )?
heritage19 (02-18-2023)
Old 11-12-2022, 12:11 PM
Fsttanks

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

$1000 !!!! Where are you finding them so cheap!! The going price for a “new” in the box Tamiya M51 is between $2000 to $2500 on EBay. The M51 has been discontinued leading to these prices and even at the current prices people are buying them. So you may not care for the Tamiya M51 but others do and are willing to pay. The modeling inaccuracy is easy to correct if one chooses, but the excellent functioning HVSS, tracks gearboxes and turret are not.

So like with the M60 that this thread is about the important stuff to get right is the lower hulls suspension, tracks and gearboxes to work reliably and be robust enough for more then just indoor running. The cosmetic like the M51 are much easier to deal with.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 11-13-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Koenigstiger (11-12-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:15 AM
borealis

Originally Posted by Durahl
And why would you be upset? You get to build AND drive a model with probably quadruple the amount of higher quality parts .....?
Do latest Tamiya electronics provide support to Lipo and newer battery packs, btw? Or does one has to stick with NiMh?
Old 11-13-2022, 10:47 AM
RichJohnson

Do latest Tamiya electronics provide support to Lipo and newer battery packs, btw? Or does one has to stick with NiMh?
I have a sheridan DmD11 in my Leopard1a7 and I have not seen any low voltage cut off protection for the more advanced batteries. They will run at higher voltages just fine so one could use the lipos and such but have to be careful on their own to check for low voltage .
Old 11-13-2022, 11:38 AM
Fsttanks

You can use Lipo and Li-Ion batteries with the DMD 11 systems. I wound not go over a 2 cell though because the peak voltage of a 3 cell (12.6v) is pushing the limits of the DMD 11. The 11 does have a power cut off around the 6v mark.

Also many people run the older “two piece” DMD/MFUs on 2 cell Lipo and Li-Ion batteries with no ill effects so sticking to NiMH is not an issue. I though prefer NiHM batteries in my tanks for various reason that for me outweigh any small benefits Lipo or Li-Ion have, but understand why some want to use the newer generation of batteries.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 11-13-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:39 AM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

You can use them, but Tamiya doesn't have any low voltage cutoff so I would just use a Lipo LVA (Low Voltage Alarm) or LVM (Low Voltage Monitor). They are the same thing, but different companies call them different names. It will beep really loudly when the battery cells reach their low voltage state.
keilau (05-09-2023)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:31 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

And why would you be upset? You get to build AND drive a model with probably quadruple the amount of higher quality parts ( thicker and higher-quality plastic / metal parts, less noisy gearboxes, dedicated electronics featuring model appropriate sounds recorded from original vehicles either at a museum or at the manufacturer, etc... ) With HL & Co. you get nowadays barely any cheaper ARTR Models where most if not all of the metal parts are unpainted, have questionable Battery Compartment locations, super noisy Gearboxes producing unproportional movements, dozens of Tanks all featuring the same 4 Sound Packages most of which were stolen from Tamiya. WHY would YOU be UPSET at Tamiya?🤨

Why would you even compare ANY of the other companies with Tamiya when NONE of them offer Kits with hundreds of parts packaged in dozens of blisters and bags YOU have to build instead relying on A/RTR "Kits" that can be assembled in as few steps with as few parts possible in a sweatshop only applying a lick of paint on precoloured plastic to represent a camoflage pattern? Just because they happen to have the same scale and similar features once "In Use" ( being an RC Tank Model with Functionality )?
Because the tamiya super Sherman is a hackneyed attempt to make something m51 without putting the money to make it vaguely accurate
king_tubby (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:22 PM
borealis

Fanboys are happy to support their idols with their money, no matter what.
I am usually happy if I get something about the value of what I paid.
1000 to 2500 $ for a mockery of a model is far from that.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:08 PM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Fanboys are happy to support their idols with their money, no matter what.
I'm just saying it how it is... If you're offended by someone shining a light on why the Competition can be so cheap, then that is your problem - Not mine.
I am usually happy if I get something about the value of what I paid.
Then what is this even about? I told you why Tamiya has good reasons to ask for more money and so far, you've done little to counter that argument other than indicating that you simply don't want to pay more - Which is like... LOL? 🤣
1000 to 2500 $ for a mockery of a model is far from that.
Can't comment on the accuracy of models - I like building, driving and tinkering on them but I barely care for their accuracy like a nut and bolt missing here and there - If something needs a cosmetic fixing I do it without complains since Tamiya models need to be built by the user anyway so why complain when I "need" ( that is an exaggeration ) to go an extra step to make it a bit more accurate... TBH... I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first in line to defend the Competition for not being accurate with their models ( because they too saw the opportunity to reuse parts of a previous release for a possibly not highly popular model ) just because they're cheaper which given their advertised A/RTR nature is where I'd find it even more aggravating if the model isn't accurate since exactly with their models it is expected that you do NOT have to put much effort into them 😉

Also, right now available on Amazon ( hardly representative ):
Centurion ~1'080.-
M1A2 Abrams ~980.-
Leopard 2A6 ~820.-
Panzer IV ~440.-

and on eBay ( even less representative ):
KV-1 ~970.-
Centurion ~940.-
Jagdpanther ~930.-
M26 Pershing ~900.-
King Tiger ~900.-
Jagdpanzer ~880.-
Tiger ~630.-
M4 Sherman ~600.- ( weird one with a wired remote!? )
Very few models above 1'200.- which was the usual starting price of most of the feature richer Models ( L2A6, M1A2, Type10 ) on Amazon when they were released and considering most of those models now being limited or out of production ones, they're bound to be more expensive. Latching on to inflated numbers someone tries to sell a model for on eBay ( and which Tamiya has no influence about ) is no basis to argue with - Might as well drive those numbers up to 4-6'000.- cause sure enough someone is trying to sell at those prices too.

As for the discussion on the use of LiPo Batteries - All my Tamiya models are running on 2S LiPo Batteries with Telemetry capable Systems that will report back when a Battery needs a Pitstop and as such, I do not care for whether or not the Tamiya DMDs have a low Voltage Cutoff or not. If your System doesn't have this capability, then simply run the LiPo with a Low Voltage Beeper attached to it and call it a day... You're most definitely not running these Models out of sight and as such not hearing the beeper when it kicks in shouldn't be an issue.
heritage19 (01-21-2023)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:25 PM
Delta_19

I'm just saying it how it is... If you're offended by someone shining a light on why the Competition can be so cheap, then that is your problem - Not mine.

Then what is this even about? I told you why Tamiya has good reasons to ask for more money and so far, you've done little to counter that argument other than indicating that you simply don't want to pay more - Which is like... LOL? 🤣

Can't comment on the accuracy of models - I like building, driving and tinkering on them but I barely care for their accuracy like a nut and bolt missing here and there - If something needs a cosmetic fixing I do it without complains since Tamiya models need to be built by the user anyway so why complain when I "need" ( that is an exaggeration ) to go an extra step to make it a bit more accurate... TBH... I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first in line to defend the Competition for not being accurate with their models ( because they too saw the opportunity to reuse parts of a previous release for a possibly not highly popular model ) just because they're cheaper which given their advertised A/RTR nature is where I'd find it even more aggravating if the model isn't accurate since exactly with their models it is expected that you do NOT have to put much effort into them 😉

Also, right now available on Amazon ( hardly representative ):
Centurion ~1'080.-
M1A2 Abrams ~980.-
Leopard 2A6 ~820.-
Panzer IV ~440.-

and on eBay ( even less representative ):
KV-1 ~970.-
Centurion ~940.-
Jagdpanther ~930.-
M26 Pershing ~900.-
King Tiger ~900.-
Jagdpanzer ~880.-
Tiger ~630.-
M4 Sherman ~600.- ( weird one with a wired remote!? )
Very few models above 1'200.- which was the usual starting price of most of the feature richer Models ( L2A6, M1A2, Type10 ) on Amazon when they were released and considering most of those models now being limited or out of production ones, they're bound to be more expensive. Latching on to inflated numbers someone tries to sell a model for on eBay ( and which Tamiya has no influence about ) is no basis to argue with - Might as well drive those numbers up to 4-6'000.- cause sure enough someone is trying to sell at those prices too.

As for the discussion on the use of LiPo Batteries - All my Tamiya models are running on 2S LiPo Batteries with Telemetry capable Systems that will report back when a Battery needs a Pitstop and as such, I do not care for whether or not the Tamiya DMDs have a low Voltage Cutoff or not. If your System doesn't have this capability, then simply run the LiPo with a Low Voltage Beeper attached to it and call it a day... You're most definitely not running these Models out of sight and as such not hearing the beeper when it kicks in shouldn't be an issue.

no idea where your finding tamiya tanks on amazon, every listing i see is "not available and what i can find on hobby shops is $1310 before transmitter and receiver.

but hey who cares this thread isnt about tamiya its about tongde's new M60 so how about we take the fight somewhere else and keep this thread on topic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Delta_19:
jarndice (11-15-2022), keilau (05-09-2023), tiger rampage (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 02:36 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta_19
how about we take the fight somewhere else and keep this thread on topic.
Excellent idea, my friend. That comment has earned you mass respect. You are absolutely right, arguments are best carried out on a thread of their own or through private messages. I see they have you listed as a junior member, so welcome aboard, we need more guys that think like you.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:05 PM
king_tubby

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

On the way soon according to his latest Facebook post. Looks like it's sitting a bit low on the suspension. Hopefully you will be able to clock the torsion bars to lift up a few mm.

Last edited by king_tubby; 11-25-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:57 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

At first glance that doesn't look too bad,
But then you notice the suspension's a bit low as you mentioned,
Then what looks like the Rheinmetall 120mm fume extractor - rounded rather than the classic stepped 105mm fume extractor
Then the MBSGD's sticking out a 90 degrees from the turret, rather than canted fwd (MBSGD - Multi Barrell Smoke Grenade Discharger Mk 9)
Just little stuff that's off...

Mal
The following 2 users liked this post by afv aficionado:
bowlman (11-29-2022), king_tubby (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:51 PM
RichJohnson

If one wanted to make it an A1 with my scale L7 barrel it would look much better. It’s what I plan to do since I have the DKlM A3.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichJohnson:
bowlman (11-29-2022), king_tubby (11-25-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 08:50 AM
RichJohnson

Wang dropped some more photos on the fakebook.

bowlman (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 10:32 AM
borealis

Nice camo
Old 12-03-2022, 09:20 PM
cleong

Well, DKLM RC now has them in stock for $165

https://www.dklmrc.com/Tondge_116_M6..._21966811.aspx
king_tubby (12-03-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:55 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by cleong
Well, DKLM RC now has them in stock for $165

https://www.dklmrc.com/Tondge_116_M6..._21966811.aspx
OK I will bite and pre-ordered one. Be assured I will not show it any mercy when I put it to the test...LOL

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-04-2022 at 04:58 AM.
RMS IN SD (12-23-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.