Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 M4A1(75) Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 04:05 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 1/16 M4A1(75) Sherman

This is another project I've been working on for a long time.
Now with some leftover suspension parts from my HL donor (for the HVSS suspension design), I thought it was a good moment to design a HL-like bottom hull to use the HL suspension on.
Then I finalised the early M4A1 cast hull design, together with the low bustle turret, I 3D printed everything and here's the result. Pretty pleased so far!

And a nice comparison to the later Sherman variant.

The following 2 users liked this post by RiskyR:
rb67mustang (08-13-2023), tankme (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 06:06 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

They look great! What software do you use to design the parts? How do you plan on post processing the 3D parts? Lately I use car repair putty (bondo) from a tube then various grades of sandpaper. I used to use wood putty but I like the repair putty better. I'm assuming the parts are PLA or similar and not ABS where you can place it in a container with acetone to smoothen the part out.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tankhobby
They look great! What software do you use to design the parts? How do you plan on post processing the 3D parts? Lately I use car repair putty (bondo) from a tube then various grades of sandpaper. I used to use wood putty but I like the repair putty better. I'm assuming the parts are PLA or similar and not ABS where you can place it in a container with acetone to smoothen the part out.
Well I've been thinking about using a putty as well, but haven't looked into which one yet. The parts as you see in the pics are straight from the printer.
I'm using a program called Fusion360 for the design of everything. It takes some time to get used to the features, but it's a powerful package and great for precise design. It will also create very clean STL models when exporting.

I've also used Blender in the past, which is great as well.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:07 AM

Some more progress. I made a better transmission housing (earlier style) with a more accurate shape.
Also added final drive covers, the fenders and made the correct earlier 5-spoked wheels.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure how much it may still be of use ( probably don't care much for 3D printing the entire upper Chassis again ) but the upper Chassis laid down flat horizontally and 3D printed like that is a kind of "unfortunate" layer orientation.
Unless you don't care about Layer Lines or aren't bothered with the huge amounts of spackling and sanding, you'll have to do to get rid of them you'd have better faired with placing them on the split line and printing the parts standing vertically upright - Possibly even benefitting from not having to use any time-consuming Support Material for the roof section.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Durahl
Not sure how much it may still be of use ( probably don't care much for 3D printing the entire upper Chassis again ) but the upper Chassis laid down flat horizontally and 3D printed like that is a kind of "unfortunate" layer orientation.
Unless you don't care about Layer Lines or aren't bothered with the huge amounts of spackling and sanding, you'll have to do to get rid of them you'd have better faired with placing them on the split line and printing the parts standing vertically upright - Possibly even benefitting from not having to use any time-consuming Support Material for the roof section.
Definitely going to try the different printing position on the reprint of my M4A1(76) hull. The printing times are shorter and material used is also less. Looks interesting!
Old 03-18-2023, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RiskyR
Definitely going to try the different printing position on the reprint of my M4A1(76) hull. The printing times are shorter and material used is also less. Looks interesting!
Hi there, first timer here. I am eagerly hunting for a means to transform an M4A3 into and M4A1 such as my grandfather used in 1942.
Any chance you would be interested in selling me a printed upper and turret? Unfortunately 3d printing is voodoo to me…
Old 03-18-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Hello, Nethead, and welcome aboard. You've stumbled into the Dark Side of RC, you're gonna love it!

Mato makes a ready to run M4a1, have you seen that one? Here's a link, just in case ...

1/16 Scale Mato U.S Sherman M4A1 Radio Control Tank

Mato tanks like this are almost the same quality as Heng Long, and for $195 it's not a huge financial risk, ya know? I usually recommend that new guys start out with the cheapest possible tank, just to see if this hobby is really for them. Spending $1,000 or more for a hobby grade tank, only to find out tanks just aren't for you, doesn't seem like the best course of action to me. If you get the cheap tank and love it you can always move up and the cheap tank will still be great just for goofin, around.

I think your reason for wanting this tank is excellent. We should always honor the men who came before and sacrificed so much.

Anyway, I'm hoping Rich Johnson will see this and chime in, Rich is my favorite resident expert on Shermans, and he has a real passion for them. He'd be one of the best guys here to advise you on this.

Last edited by Crius; 03-18-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:00 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome and the excellent advice
If I had not jumped straight in the deep end and bought the Heng Long M4A3 already I might have even followed it…
I fear I completely failed to remember what I always instruct new members in my other hobbies to do first: Heed the advice of veterans before spending any money!
Old 03-18-2023, 12:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

The rounded hull shermy is excellent! All of them are nice, but I've always had a soft spot for the early cast hulls. Really nice work.
Bob
Old 03-18-2023, 05:18 PM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

Rick and I are working on so many upgrades for remodeling the henglong m4a3 into other tanks.

Right now I am working on producing the first 10 hvss kits designed by Rick and I as well as getting his 76mm T23 turret finalized for production really soon.

Rick has also been designing replacement upper hulls for the henglong which include an M4a1, both large and small hatch as well as an early m4a2 small hatch and an early 75mm low bustle turret. They are in the works.

The mato m4a1 76 hasn’t been available for a long time but if you find one snatch it up as they are good to start with and accurize with modeling skills.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:35 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

Rich beat me to it. The M4A1 rounded hull Shermans have been long out of production. There are also some new releases coming out in 1/16 scale models that might be able to be adapted to R/C and some of them use the cast hulls.

Derek
Old 03-21-2023, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nethead
Thank you for the warm welcome and the excellent advice
If I had not jumped straight in the deep end and bought the Heng Long M4A3 already I might have even followed it…
I fear I completely failed to remember what I always instruct new members in my other hobbies to do first: Heed the advice of veterans before spending any money!
Originally Posted by RC_BobM
The rounded hull shermy is excellent! All of them are nice, but I've always had a soft spot for the early cast hulls. Really nice work.
Bob
Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Rick and I are working on so many upgrades for remodeling the henglong m4a3 into other tanks.

Right now I am working on producing the first 10 hvss kits designed by Rick and I as well as getting his 76mm T23 turret finalized for production really soon.

Rick has also been designing replacement upper hulls for the henglong which include an M4a1, both large and small hatch as well as an early m4a2 small hatch and an early 75mm low bustle turret. They are in the works.

The mato m4a1 76 hasn’t been available for a long time but if you find one snatch it up as they are good to start with and accurize with modeling skills.
Design of both cast hulls is well underway

The following users liked this post:
tankme (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:07 AM

Very nice!
I have found an M4A1 hull now, however still seeking an early 75mm turret.
I shall probably have to scratch build the early mantle.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

RiskyR, I love the image of your two builds face to face and the gun barrels touching as if to be fencing!!! Your HVSS is a great addition to 1/16th RC Sherman Tanks!!!

Last edited by rb67mustang; 08-13-2023 at 08:57 AM.
RiskyR (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by rb67mustang
RiskyR, I love the image of your two builds face to face and the gun barrels touching as if to be fencing!!! Your HVSS is a great addition to 1/16th RC Sherman Tanks!!!
Thanks! The cast hull versions will be available in the future as well. They are largely finished apart from some finetuning.
Everything I design is made for the Heng Long Sherman base, so the possibilities to build different variants are endless!
The following 2 users liked this post by RiskyR:
rb67mustang (08-13-2023), tankme (08-13-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When and where will your Sherman parts be available?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 268 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
When and where will your Sherman parts be available?
RichJohnsonmodelsNstuff.com has them. You can also reach RichJohnson via a PM on this sight.

Here are a few photos of the HVSS conversion on a Heng Long hull that were taken at the San Diego tank clubs Sept 2023 battle day. Note not my tank.

This is the full HVSS kit with a 76mm turret.

Close up of the HVSS.
RiskyR (09-30-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:19 PM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

The HVSS kits are available right now and the 76mm turret is nearly ready.
We are working on making the the A1 large hatch cast hull fit the henglong sherman hull.
RC Tank Products