Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ive been absent

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 02:01 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ive been absent

Hello everyone! I have been absent for quite some time, life got in the way. Some may remember me and some......not so much. I wanted to just touch base, say hello and maybe ask a few questions. The last time I was on here was like I stated a few years, my son was dabbling with tanks...when he was 8.... he is now 12. He has a heng long sherman not even sure what board is in it, but it is a few years old, i have a gutted mato sherman and a taigen tiger, my brother just gave him a bulldog which has the original RX-13 in it and SOB it still works lol. I also have the IBU blue board thinking of putting that in the Tiger. My questions are? what do y'all think of the HL version 7 boards? I see there are not many boards available anymore, I know ASP is out of production, Clark boards have recently got a bad rap, elmod is expensive and so is Beir.I also have seen Eric is no longer with IMEX. Not sure if i want to retrofit new HL boards or just get two new tanks so my son and I can battle, the battle system doesn't have to be super special.....just functional. I am also into the "scale" of the hobby, so looking for something a little bit realistic, not the holy crap rabbit being chased controls. I hope everyone has a safe holiday season.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:10 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I don't have one of the new Heng Long boards, yet. So, I cant speak for those. I did just upgrade my old HL Pershing from the old RX-18 board to the new Taigen V3. It was all plug-and-play with the exception of having to reverse the wire that goes from the turret to the daughter board. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I also have a Taigen Sherman on a V1 board, and I could just plug in the V3 and it worked fine.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
Hello everyone! I have been absent for quite some time, life got in the way. Some may remember me and some......not so much. I wanted to just touch base, say hello and maybe ask a few questions. The last time I was on here was like I stated a few years, my son was dabbling with tanks...when he was 8.... he is now 12. He has a heng long sherman not even sure what board is in it, but it is a few years old, i have a gutted mato sherman and a taigen tiger, my brother just gave him a bulldog which has the original RX-13 in it and SOB it still works lol. I also have the IBU blue board thinking of putting that in the Tiger. My questions are? what do y'all think of the HL version 7 boards? I see there are not many boards available anymore, I know ASP is out of production, Clark boards have recently got a bad rap, elmod is expensive and so is Beir.I also have seen Eric is no longer with IMEX. Not sure if i want to retrofit new HL boards or just get two new tanks so my son and I can battle, the battle system doesn't have to be super special.....just functional. I am also into the "scale" of the hobby, so looking for something a little bit realistic, not the holy crap rabbit being chased controls. I hope everyone has a safe holiday season.
The 7 series HL MFUs are actually pretty decent for a simple “backyard fun runner” and have a fair amount of turret and driving options/setting. They are nothing like the older system. If you are going to install one consider the 7.1 version as this has options for servo recoil and elevation plus it is rated for rather high voltage and amp drawl.

If you are going to IR battle your son with the 7 series do yourself a huge favor and upgrade from the crappy stock HL IR receiver to one of the excellent LegoDEI IR receiver (about $35) . The stock HL are able to receive hits about 15ft away, while the LegoDEI can receive hits out past 150ft. The difference in fun is night and day.
The following users liked this post:
tankme (12-28-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:48 AM
Rebellion13

Thank you for the response. I am looking for "scale" Inertia, sounds, etc. I have read that there are only two sound sets with the new HL boards......that's a bummer. So that is a factor, I know all of us want everything lol.I am more concerned with the realistic approach over battling, but would still like that implemented. I was never into the battles where you fly across the terrain at 105mph only to duck behind a building, peek out and fire then duck back in to just realize, two other jack rabbits poked their heads out at the wrong time and you hit them both, then hit warp speed because your cover is compromised......to me that is neither realistic and or fun IMO. So if there are other boards that i can retrofit i will have to look into, I may have to hold off on the new HL boards and see what my options are. I have plenty of transmitters so that isn't a problem.
I have heard decent remarks about toucan hobby too, so i might look into buying a couple from them, but i am afraid that I will eventually have to swap out boards because i wont be happy.....sigh. Oh and Fsttanks i took a look at the LegoDEI IR looks a lot better then most on the market. My original plan a few years back was to use clark boards, but i guess that is a bust since i have read negative comments. I know there are other options i just haven't been active for awhile. HL might be an option, but i just want to make a wise decision

Last edited by Rebellion13; 12-29-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:39 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If you want to buy more HL tanks, you really should take a look at Motion RC. Some of the best prices around, free shipping, and all of their tanks come with the latest HL 7.0 plus Electronics. Recently they had the Ford GPA on sale for $160 with free shipping, I bought one and the experience was quite pleasant. No problems at all, just the way I like it.
Rebellion13 (01-02-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 03:36 AM
Rebellion13

I have been looking at motion rc and toucan hobbies, with that being said trying to figure out which route i want to take. My son has a heng long sherman, and I have an old mato sherman (no electronics) I have the upgraded metal suspension with the correct bogie wheels size, and a taigen tiger !. I also have the decent IBU board..... but only one of them. So just trying to figure out which way to go. I know heng long has come a long way, just not sure if the new boards are up to snuff for what i am looking for. Maybe i should look into other options and just bite the bullet (pun intended). But since i have been out of the hobby for awhile I need to get up to speed on what is available for my use.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
I have been looking at motion rc and toucan hobbies, with that being said trying to figure out which route i want to take. My son has a heng long sherman, and I have an old mato sherman (no electronics) I have the upgraded metal suspension with the correct bogie wheels size, and a taigen tiger !. I also have the decent IBU board..... but only one of them. So just trying to figure out which way to go. I know heng long has come a long way, just not sure if the new boards are up to snuff for what i am looking for. Maybe i should look into other options and just bite the bullet (pun intended). But since i have been out of the hobby for awhile I need to get up to speed on what is available for my use.
The current HL 7.1 series are hands down better handling and have far more adjustability in features then the older Tamiya DMD/MFUs as used in the Tigers, Pershing, M4/M51, Abrams, Leopard 2 and others, with maybe the exception of the newest one DMD11 used in the M551 and Centurion. If the HL 7.1 series had full Tamiya like battle protocols they would be replacing all my Tamiya DMD/MFU systems.

The only draw backs, one the lack of optional sounds. There are only officially two. “Tiger” and T72/90, but Abrams and Leopard 2 are also available if requested. Toucan has them. The second is the TX. These are still cheap feeling but work rather well. Although word has it this is changing to a “hobby grade” TX with the next generation of MFU (8.1?) do out sometime in 2023.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-29-2022 at 12:22 PM.
bowlman (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:27 PM
Rebellion13

Hmm the 8.1 sounds interesting,I have a few transmitters that hopefully I can use. My only complaint is the lack of sound packs, maybe that will change with the newer version. I'm not asking for much.....just everything lol. If i would have purchased two IBU boards I wouldn't be having this issue........ but live and learn. What i find amazing is that you stated the new HL boards are better handling and adjustability then the old tamiya shows how far heng long has come.

Last edited by Rebellion13; 12-29-2022 at 06:32 PM.