Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

King Kong Metal Hull Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

King Kong Metal Hull Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 07:17 PM
WestCanMan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default King Kong Metal Hull Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Just wondering if anyone has recently purchased and installed this? I've been watching Pitstain's build videos and I'm concerned about the infamous idler wheels offset issue. I'm wondering if they ever corrected the mold since people started complaining? I know the solution is to get the Henn-tec idler system, but of course it's out of stock, just like almost everything else these days. 🙄 May end up having to use the plastic kit tub if King Kong hasn't corrected the part.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:23 AM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Honestly do not waste your money, all their other parts are great, but that chassis is the thing nightmares are made of, and it really is not needed. I HIGHLY doubt they have updated it.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:00 AM
WestCanMan

Originally Posted by pitstain
Honestly do not waste your money, all their other parts are great, but that chassis is the thing nightmares are made of, and it really is not needed. I HIGHLY doubt they have updated it.
Mmmm.....bummer to hear that. 😞 I was really hoping that they would have corrected it by this time. I guess I'll find out in another week or so. Ordered everything before I saw the videos. Their Ebay listing indicates that they will accept returns, but based on your experience with them, it sounds like pulling teeth.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:45 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by WestCanMan
Mmmm.....bummer to hear that. 😞 I was really hoping that they would have corrected it by this time. I guess I'll find out in another week or so. Ordered everything before I saw the videos. Their Ebay listing indicates that they will accept returns, but based on your experience with them, it sounds like pulling teeth.
If you compare the stock hull where the front idlers mount to the king kong mount notice the slightly inward slope of the Tamiya hull, if the KK sides where the front idler mounts are perfectly vertical then you have a dud and it is useless without a Henntec idler to force the alingment of them, do your best to return as once the tank is built up it will have plenty of rigidity. Don't get me started on the untapped holes for the torsion bars, you will need a metric tap the size of the screws there as well.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:57 AM
WestCanMan

To make matters worse, my order is being held in customs until $14 in taxes are paid. King Kong informed me of this yesterday. Apparently FedEx has the wrong phone number and has been unable to contact me, so KK is relaying the message. Managed to contact FedEx and made the payment, so hopefully will be receiving everything in a day or two.

Last edited by WestCanMan; 08-07-2023 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Content Update
Old 08-07-2023, 05:14 AM
pitstain

To make matters worse, my order is being held in customs until $14 in taxes are paid. KK informed me of this yesterday. Apparently FedEx has the wrong phone number and has been unable to contact me, so King Kong is relaying the message. Of course when I call Fedex, there is no option to speak to an actual human operator, just their useless automated menu options, none of which allow for custom's payment. I just cringe every time I see that FedEx is the carrier. KK said that if the tax isn't paid by August 9th, the order will either be destroyed or returned to sender, so they will not refund my money. Hopefully KK can provide my phone number to FedEx and they can call me again, as they make it impossible to contact them. Horrible customer service!
That stinks, and when I did interact with them about the poor fitment and lack of tapped torsion bar holes, they basically brushed me off like it was my fault and their product had no issues.....I hope you get some kind of restitution in this matter, but this chassis is why I triple check feedback on things before ordering nowadays.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:25 AM
Max-U52

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Totally agree about Fedex. They are the absolute worst. I can't tell you how many times I have contacted a seller and told them if they couldn't find a different shipper besides Fedex I would not buy the item. Fedex is the reason I still don't have a challenger. I once ordered one from eBay and I was sure to check their shipping information which said they ship by USPS, but when I got the tracking number I saw it was Fedex. I live alone and I work so I can't sign for packages (they won't let the cat sign either), and when I told Fedex that they said that they're driver had to actually see someone sign for the package. They said I could come pick it up but it was almost an hour and a 1/2 drive to where the item was located so I just let them send It back. I then went to PayPal and got a full refund. But, I still don't have a challenger.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:38 AM
WestCanMan

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Totally agree about Fedex. They are the absolute worst. I can't tell you how many times I have contacted a seller and told them if they couldn't find a different shipper besides Fedex I would not buy the item. Fedex is the reason I still don't have a challenger. I once ordered one from eBay and I was sure to check their shipping information which said they ship by USPS, but when I got the tracking number I saw it was Fedex. I live alone and I work so I can't sign for packages (they won't let the cat sign either), and when I told Fedex that they said that they're driver had to actually see someone sign for the package. They said I could come pick it up but it was almost an hour and a 1/2 drive to where the item was located so I just let them send It back. I then went to PayPal and got a full refund. But, I still don't have a challenger.
I'm in exactly the same boat, even with the cat. 😁 Last time they left the parcel at the top of my stairs, visible for the entire street to see. I live in a small city, but the crime rate here is one of the highest per/capita in Canada for B&E, not sure about porch piracy though. Hopefully they will hide the box in one of the bushes I have on either side of my steps.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:34 AM
Max-U52

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Fortunately for me, porch pirates are something I've never had to worry about. I think the fact that I can see the police station from my front porch might have something to do with that. I've lived in that house for 7 years now and it's absolutely the safest neighborhood I've ever lived in. The part that trips me out is that if you go just a little over a mile East of my house, you'll find yourself in Brightmore, one of the absolute worst neighborhoods in Detroit. I have an order on the way from hobby king right now and I had absolutely no problem with telling DHL to go ahead and leave it on the front porch.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:10 PM
WestCanMan

Well, my box of after market goodies found their way to my front porch last night, and what a treat. 😁 The King Kong road wheels, idlers, and return rollers in particular, are beautifully machined. I spent about 15 minutes comparing and scrutinizing King Kong's hull to the plastic Tamiya....and to my eye, they appear absolutely identical. So....perhaps King Kong corrected the mold? They did include two bags of M3 screws as well. 👍
Old 08-11-2023, 08:32 AM
pitstain

Well, my box of after market goodies found their way to my front porch last night, and what a treat. 😁 The King Kong road wheels, idlers, and return rollers in particular, are beautifully machined. I spent about 15 minutes comparing and scrutinizing King Kong's hull to the plastic Tamiya....and to my eye, they appear absolutely identical. So....perhaps King Kong corrected the mold? They did include two bags of M3 screws as well. 👍
All of their parts really do look fantastic, however I would take a good long look at the tub sitting head on with it next to the tamiya, maybe post a picture because unless they updated the diecasting mold ($$$$) the angle of the sides is not quite the same.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:40 PM
WestCanMan

Originally Posted by pitstain
All of their parts really do look fantastic, however I would take a good long look at the tub sitting head on with it next to the tamiya, maybe post a picture because unless they updated the diecasting mold ($$$$) the angle of the sides is not quite the same.

Yeah, maybe another pair of eyes would help, especially since you have some experience with this problem.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:56 PM
WestCanMan