Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Hello and a starter question >

Hello and a starter question

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hello and a starter question

Old 11-04-2023, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and a starter question

Hi RC Tank folk. I am looking at getting into RC tank hobbying. I have been a scale RC helicopter builder and flyer for quite a few years and have recently acquired a Heng Long 1/24 Leopard tank to cut my teeth on.
However, there's a problem - it came without a transmitter. I've tried to find the Heng Long transmitters for sale separately, without success. So my question is, is it possible to bind the Heng Long 1/24 tanks to an alternative 2.4g transmitter? I have a nice 6-channel Futaba S-FHSS transmitter which looks suitable.
I would be very grateful for any thoughts, suggestions and so-on.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to the RC tank hobby.

I know the Heng Long (HL) radio system is proprietary so you can not bind any other kind of transmitter to it. I don't know much about the 1/24 scale tanks, I only have the 1/16 scale stuff, but lots of the folks on this forum upgrade to aftermarket control boards so we can use better than stock transmitters. The upgraded control boards also give better performance and sounds. The new HL 7.0 control boards give pretty good performance, so if you can put one of those transmitter / 7.0 control board combos into your tank it may work.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:31 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome aboard. 1/24 isn't a very popular scale so you won't find much aftermarket stuff for it, and space limitations will be a problem with a lot of boards, and as Paco said, you can't bind that tank to an aftermarket TX.

If you really want to try RC tanks I would recommend you pick up one of the all plastic tanks to start with. You can get a sherman or tiger for around $140 and they come with the latest electronics, which I believe are up to 7.0 or 7.1 now. That will let you get your feet wet and see if RC tanks are for you without breaking the bank. You can always buy a more expensive metal edition or upgrade the plastic tank later on.

As a seasoned RC heli pilot I don't have to tell you how expensive the RC hobby can get, wether it flies, crawls or swims, this is not a poor man's hobby.

There is one other option, you could try to squeeze in stock stuff from a 1/16 tank. I have what you would need, and I'll send it to you for free, you just pay postage, about $16. But I really recommend you make the 1/24 tank into a shelf ornament and get a proper 1/16 tank. But be warned, these things are highly addictive. I thought I'd get two or three about ten years ago, and now I own about 20, and I've bought and sold at least that many more. And don't even get me started on 1/6 scale, that can get deep into your wallet.

So if you really want to try 1/16 electronics send me a PM (private message) and we'll see if we can get you set up.
We need every RC tanker we can get so I hope you'll stick around, but I don't want to give you any false hopes about the one you have. I actually have one 1/24 scale tank that I've had for years but that one's been a shelf queen since shortly after I got my first 1/16th tank.

Sorry about the wierd indent, I never know what this phone will do next, and that raises the question, if this is supposed to be a "smart phone", why do I constantly find myself saying, "Stupid phone!!"

Again, welcome aboard, and I'll be hoping to see photos of your first tank project.
The following users liked this post:
Hackworth (11-10-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 12:24 AM

Thank you both for your responses. It looks like i have a bit of a challenge on my hands to get this thing rolling - this could be a very educational journey!
Max - I'll PM you later, as I'd like to accept your very kind offer, if it is still available.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:30 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Sure, PM me and we'll get you hooked up. If you can use skype that's a bonus, I have it in my phone and it's very handy. Being able to actually see stuff makes a huge difference.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:19 PM

Hi Max. I think I need to make some more posts before I can send a PM to you. Let me think of something worthwhile to say and I'll get back to you shortly!