Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

TongDe M60A3 to Magach 6B conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TongDe M60A3 to Magach 6B conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 09:38 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default TongDe M60A3 to Magach 6B conversion

Since the TongDe IDF M60 is well...lacking A LOT and that's being kind. I decided to make my own. I based the build on stock "metal" version TongDe M60A3.

The version I made is more closely modeled after the earlier IDF M60A1/A3 conversion to 6B. The majority of the parts us are 3D printed and some where "kit bashed" from another tank. It's still has some finishing details to add but it's far enough along to finally share.

IDF Magach 6B conversion from a TongDe M60A3. Still have some finishing paint/weathering and crew kit to add.

I will have some running videos up it soon on my YouTube Fsttanks1 so feel free to have a look. Will also have more photos and videos up on my IG soon too.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-09-2023 at 12:10 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
bowlman (12-10-2023), RichJohnson (12-11-2023), Tankhobby (12-09-2023), tankme (12-09-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:46 AM
RichJohnson

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts

That just looks amazing.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:17 PM
Fsttanks

Some field photos from testing.

TongDe M60 to Magach 6B conversion.

Modified the elevation system to allow for fighting from the hull down position. Very hard to hit the IR receiver while battling in undulating terrain that allows for this firing position.

Firing at target tank. Target tank could not hit the 6B while it was in the hull down firing position unless it was at least half the distance closer.

The following users liked this post:
tankme (12-12-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 06:09 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

That's a really great looking tank. Now that I've seen what can actually be done with them I think I just might have to pick one up after all. I would want to do mine with all the equipment and markings of a tank from Germany around 1979 when I was over there, but you've taken a toy tank and made it into a very good looking scale model.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:55 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Max-U52
That's a really great looking tank. Now that I've seen what can actually be done with them I think I just might have to pick one up after all. I would want to do mine with all the equipment and markings of a tank from Germany around 1979 when I was over there, but you've taken a toy tank and made it into a very good looking scale model.
Yes it looks very much like a toy out of the box, but with really "good bones" to build from. It is actually a excellent running tank (metal edition) and even better with a different/aftermarket MFU then stock.

And now since RichJohnson Models N Stuff is having far more correct M68/L7 and M68A3 barrels made along with search lights and other modern accessories for the M60 tank (and other tanks) it is an easier process to make the TD M60s really become more of a hobby tank vs a toy tank.

If you want to see one being put through its paces check out my YouTube Fsttanks1 . I have a 6 minute video of one of my other TD M60 running the San Diego tank clubs off road driving challenge course.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 12-13-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:51 PM
Fsttanks

A few photos taken during final drive testing on a rather dust trials course. The dust really adds to the "field used" look of the tank and is just the start of the natural weathering process my tank go through.

TongDe M60A3 conversion to Magach 6B on tank trials course.

Magach 6B on "drop off" obstacle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
bowlman (12-14-2023), RichJohnson (12-15-2023)
Old 01-14-2024, 12:28 PM
Fsttanks

A few photos from the Magach 6Bs first official IR tank battle day at the January 2024 LA Tank Clubs battle day. The 6B did as well as expected for a large tank on a tight urban like field setting.

TongDe M60A3 in Magach 6B theme at LA Tanks January 2024 meet.
No

Getting a nice coat of dust.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 01-14-2024 at 12:36 PM.
RichJohnson (01-14-2024), tankme (01-14-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 02:17 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The tank and the battlefield both look just great. I'm not sure if I should be jealous because you have such a nice place to run your tanks or if I should be jealous because there's no snow on the ground. When I left for work this morning the windchill factor was 23 below.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:58 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It really looks fantastic, considering the very poor base you started from, well done!
Old 01-17-2024, 09:49 AM
RichJohnson

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts

Mcovlask, The Tongde M60 is not a poor base. While the scale accuracy is not perfect it’s quite close enough if you are willing to buy taigen or henglong tanks then you won’t have a problem with the TD M60. As with any rc tank model there are often room for detail improvement and upgrades.
I compared my TD M60a3 to the DKLM M60a3 I bought about 6 years ago. They are very close except for a few detail points. The DKLM cost $1600 to my door. Then I spent another chunk of cash to total about $2250 before I had it running like a clock and reliable enough to drive fast and hard and not get fouled up. Now, because of some darn kids at the December meet, much of the inside of the turret 3d printed parts areibroken because they were grabbing my tank barrels on the table.

The TD is a good looking tank once you swap out the fugly barrel for one of my production A1 profile or A3 thermal shielded barrels. Then add my spot light and my antennas, hubcaps, and the US Jerry cans in carrier trays that I carry and you have a very nice looking tank. Top it off with scale tail light covers for the LEDs from shapeways and file out the globby travel lock and the tank looks darn good.
just see my TD M60a3 detail out thread that is currently near the top Detailing out the TD M60a3

A few key detail upgrades change the look of the whole tank and make it come together.​​​​​​.
And by the way, with a couple tweaks the tank runs so damn well with plastic tracks on the all metal version, it’s one of the best running tanks I have.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:19 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by mcovalsk
It really looks fantastic, considering the very poor base you started from, well done!
Thank you for the compliment. Although "poor base" I would respectfully have to somewhat disagree with.

Admittedly the stock TD M60s are not well painted or detailed as they come from the factory. But the (metal editions) do provide for a solid base to build from.

Mechanically the four M60s I have (A1, A2"Starship", RISE and 6B) for the most part all run fantastic. Easily on par with my Tamiya "Cold War" era tanks like the Abrams, Centurion and Sheridan. The 6B shown in this thread is completely stock (metal edition running plastic tracks) in its running hardware. Only the MFU, along with adding barrel servo recoil has been charged.

The all plastic version of the M60 on the other hand are not so good and have issues that require a bit of work and cost to replace / upgrade parts. I would never recommend one of those.

I have a YouTube video of my M6OA1 running around the San Diego tanks clubs battling field. It's a long video about 6 minutes, but clearly shows how well the TongDe "metal edition" M6O run. My YouTube channel is Fsttanks1.

I also have a bunch of short videos on my Instagram at fsttanks.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 01-17-2024 at 12:03 PM.
RichJohnson (01-17-2024), tankme (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 12:58 PM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I initially had issues with the tank thinking it wasn't a great base also, but that changed when I saw some of the custom paint and details people had added. The A2 conversion and detail kit fixed a lot of the nitpicky detail mistakes that bothered me. I think my A2 came out really nice.

Now with the new suspension stuff from DKLM, it eliminates the fake shocks. The bridge layer conversion will be really cool. I think the tank really does have a lot of possibilities for customization.