Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

I discovered a $15 easy peasy track pin tool!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

I discovered a $15 easy peasy track pin tool!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 03:34 PM
Ziptar

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I discovered a $15 easy peasy track pin tool!

A thread over on RC Tank Warfare started me poking around the internet in search of a track splitting tool, I found the perfect tool (almost, at least for now), it cost me $15.84 wanted to share it here as well.

I've tried tiny finish nails, tiny screw drivers and punches, and track pins. They work but it's fiddly and kind of a PITA, usually drop the tool or tracks 2 or three times trying to get everything lined up right. Most watch band tools I looked at didn't list any maximum width and those that did were all ~30mm wide, including the type that look like pliers, I would think those would be wider. I eventually found one listed on ebay as "Watch Link Remover Jumbo" it's description said "Will accommodate watch bands up to 1 3/4" (45 mm) wide".

Here it is on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/134076649516, the same seller also sells it on Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I ordered one from ebay, It got here today.

With the press screw barley threaded into the base the maximum width to the pin is 42mm. The widest tracks I have are HL M1A2 Abrams metal tracks they are 39.8mm wide. The plastic are 39.6. I also have plastic Chally II tracks they measure 38.5mm.

The tool comes with 4 pins 2 small and 2 large. The large fit the HL track pin hole perfectly.

The base has a threaded turn table thingy to adjust height making it easier to align the pins. Really helps with metal tracks that haven't been split yet and are stacked. Almost like having a third hand.

Let's give it a try shall we?
Took all of 20 seconds to line everything up once I'd adjusted the height using the handy dandy turntable thingy.

5 turns of the knob on the press screw later...

Just for grins, I grabbed a small screw out of the jar I throw small screws and hardware into that I save from old laptops and such before they get pitched. Used it to press the pin back in. Granted I can do this in 5 seconds with the tip of needle nose pliers. Just pointing out bonus added functionality.

Conclusion: This little tool makes splitting tracks a breeze. Absolutely no doubt about it! No fiddly bits, no bent pins easy peasy, it's well worth the ~$15.00 it cost with shipping.

I love it and it would be absolutely 5 Stars Review perfect except...

I do have one problem with it, at least the specific one I received. While using the tool there were quite allot aluminum flakes falling out of where the press screw threads into the base. After trying it out about and splitting different tracks about 10 times I decided to unscrew the press screw, clean the threads and lightly grease them. When I unscrewed the screw from the base I found that there was a void in the cast aluminum base where the press screw is threaded. When the press screw in threaded in enough so that the press pin meets the Abrams track pin the screw's threads only engage 4 or 5 threads in the base thanks to the large gap left by the void in the casting, without the number of threads would be double. Even with just 4 or 5 threads the little tool had no problem pushing track pins out at all, turning the knob was almost as if it were pushing nothing. The tool would probably be just fine and useful for a very long time. At the same time, even for $15 item I prefer it not have one with a defect, one that could eventually cause the screw to strip the threads in the aluminum housing.

I've contacted the seller and asked for an exchange if he handles it well he'll be opening up a whole new market for himself and his Big Belt Link Tank Track Pin Remover Tool, I'll report back how that goes.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ziptar:
jarndice (03-10-2024), maillemaker (03-09-2024), skyowa (03-09-2024), Tanker1966 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 02:43 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine came yesterday, Laid a Haya Metal Centurion track on the bed of the machine, Lined up the track pin and wound the knurled knob in and the track pin slid out with no problems at all,
Just as easily replacing the pin was equally simple,
I do recommend this little tool plus instead of the 2 different sized pins that were supposed to come with the tool 4 pins were in the box, 2 of each size.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:32 AM
Ziptar

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Received my replacement tool today. Threads are all there, no voids, it's perfect!