Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Daryl Turner's Full Option WSN T34

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Daryl Turner's Full Option WSN T34

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
sownare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daryl Turner's Full Option WSN T34

Hi All,

I'm writing this post to let any tankers out there know that Daryl Turner is THE MAN to call if you want to upgrade your WSN or Trumpeter T34. He doesn't post a lot, but his upgrade parts blow anything offered by ETO or Backyard Armour out of the water!! He took my WSN T34 and Pershing electrics and turned out the smoothest running and easiest to operate tank I have (I have all the Tamiya WII tanks). You get a lot of custom machining and trouble saving innovations. The man's a pro. He's very busy, but returns emails daily and updates the progress of his work very frequently, even sending pictures and an instruction manual. If you want an upgrade part or want to convert a WSN or Bandai kit, emal him: [email protected].

Phinneas
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Default RE: Daryl Turner's Full Option WSN T34

Phinneas,
Can you post video or pics of your converted T-34 and also cost involved... We have 2 WSN T-34's that were converted in our club by club members...They did great jobs...Used M26 electronics and small speakers....left turret rotation stock....hmmm I forget what else they did...Ohhh Repaint and weathered!!!! look great....
Please post pics and specs on what was done and how much it costs...THanks
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 AM
AKMopar

I don't have anything to add about Daryl's T34 upgrades but I can certainly vouch for his character and products. I purchased his Tiger and Sherman upgrades, quality pieces and he was great to deal with. Daryl gave me, a newbie, a lot of advice and I cannot say enough about his willingness to help me out and get me started.

Jeremy
Old 10-10-2005, 11:35 PM
nemesis4u

sooooo WHAT WAS THE COST???????? what does he charge to do such a marvelous conversion[8D]?? If you would be so kind..thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 09:48 PM
BlackHart

Hummm sounds just like a two other postings I read on Armournuts a just few days ago[>:] what is this free forum advertising [:'(]

Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Blackhart:

Chill dude. Its as much " advertising " as anyone claiming Tamiya, Bandai, Mitsuwa/Wasan, Marui, VS/Iwaver or any other brand is the best out there. I expect the Admin would object if it was Daryl tooting his own horn, and posting pics and prices, but it ISN'T. Its a satisfied customer.

I'm one of Daryl's satisfied customers too... bought a few of his gearbox braces, and he even modded 'em for me at NO CHARGE. I expect I'll be inquiring about the T34 bits, as I've just bought a T34 myself from MatoToys (yea, Murphy finally got 'em in) Murphy is straight up, answers most of our HL questions about 'em, and is a member of the Marui Tank Group forum.

To avoid any other ~further~ claims of advertising, anyone wanting to know about MatoToys, lemme know by PM, IM or e-mail.

WhiteWolf
Old 10-20-2005, 12:44 AM
TANKDUEL

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

sooooo WHAT WAS THE COST???????? what does he charge to do such a marvelous conversion[8D]?? If you would be so kind..thanks
[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 PM
nemesis4u

sownare,
You there buddy?? We really want to know what it costs to do the conversion.... Really..... I am interested in converting a T-34....PLease let us know..
Tanks'
TankDuel and Nemesis4u and et al....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
TXtanker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think silence = big bucks/ no reply
Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
TANKDUEL

Well I have noticed that Sownare has been browsing the forum while Nemesis' question has been there, so it isn't a case that he hasn't seen it; moreover, a conscious decision not to answer it.

By doing this,(and the same thing on other forums as well) one can only reach one of the following conclusions:

1: Sownare hasn't got this tank (no pics provided from the supposedly proud owner as requested) and this is a case of spamming by proxy. As WW quite rightly pointed out, blatantly promoting ones own product is viewed dimly, getting someone else to do it for you is a way to get around this.

2: It's a case of the old saying "If you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it"

Sownare, we are a keen bunch of hobbyists, and only telling us half the story leads me to question your motives in posting; it's up to you to straighten things out and fill us in....please.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
panzerdriver5

Hi all,
Phinneas' T-34/85 underwent some custom upgrades. The basic conversion was not terribly involved, and included adding metal suspension arms, and cutting out all of the original insides. Rewiring the elevation, rotation, and recoil mechanisms was not complicated either, but did require a few plugs, wire, and a new micro switch for the recoil cut off. I created a plate which enabled the electronics to be mounted in the tank but be removed easily for maintenance, cleaning, or whatever. This package could be easily swapped into a second T-34/85 if needed. Try doing that with a Tamiya product.
I also added a friction latch design which enabled the top of the tank top be attached to the lower hull without having to use screws and thus does not require tools to separate the hull halves.
The truly custom upgrade I did was install Pershing gearboxes into the tank. The out-drives, which are unique on the T-34, remained intact, however I incorporated brass out-drive gears. I did not use the Pershing out-drives since they are bulky, require cutting the hull up, and require adapting the T-34 drive sprocket to the Tamiya's unit. The best approach is to add brass out-drive gears which replace the plastic gears on the original tank. The Pershing gearboxes were modified by machining the output shaft to fit a small brass pinion. Space is tight, so this had to be shoe-horned into a tight space. This design has an added benefit that the entire Pershing gearbox unit can be removed without removing track, sprockets, shafts, and what have you. The design is as close to the real thing as you are going to get.
One additional issue with the stock T-34/85 out-drive is the bushings in the out-drive housing are brass. The sprocket drive shaft is steel, and brass bushings on steel shafting can gall and sieze up, even with lubrication. I machined bronze bushings to the same specs as the brass bushings and this works fine and keeps costs down.
Nothing I have done is complicated, though it does require a lathe, and a small mill helps also. Custom machining costs tend to exceed what even I call reasonable, so that is why I buy my own equipment and do my own machining. I have been machining for over 20 years, and have been an active modeler for 30 years, though I am only 37. I was designing my own R/C planes by the time I was 15. My modeling experience is considerable. I don't really mind doing some neat stuff for people, and in fact Phinneas' T-34/85 runs better than my own static conversion T-34/76s which cost much more and took far longer to build. The amount I charge per hour of labor will vary between 20 and 30 dollars. This is based on what I have to do. Being a hobby, not a business, labor costs are a gray area. A custom model conversion like Phinneas' T-34/85 involves more than 8 hours of work. The more features you want, the more number of hours it takes. I don't paint, and don't care much about custom plastic work like making turrets and hulls. I do machining and engineering of unique mechanisms, and installing these items in a manner that results in strength and performance. I have also done full option conversions of Bandai models. For the most part, each tank's owner has been only charged a reasonable amount that would make my time worthwhile to work on the tank, and pay for the materials and supplies I use when making/fabricating the parts. If I estimate one hour to machine a part which cost me 15 bucks to buy in material, and I charge 20 an hour, the cost is only 35 bucks. A custom part might be a little more. If I have to design a part on the computer, 30 bucks an hour for design time might be factored in. Generally, only parts which I will produce in large quantities are designed on the computer.
The only limit to what I can do is based on my free time, which is not much.
Finally, there is a level of trust which Phinneas had entrusted me with his tank and 'clearly' the burden is on me to produce a quality product, sight unseen, the first time around. Failure is not an option.
Hope this helps clarify some things.
Take care all,
Daryl B. Turner
Old 11-14-2007, 11:33 AM
nemesis4u

Anyone know where to get anymore of these WSN/Trumpeter 1/16 Ready-To-Run R/C T-34/85 Russian WW II Tanks????

I have been looking and haven't noticed them lately....

tanks'

-TOMAS
Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
ah64

Anyone know where to get anymore of these WSN/Trumpeter 1/16 Ready-To-Run R/C T-34/85 Russian WW II Tanks????

I have been looking and haven't noticed them lately....

tanks'

-TOMAS

I got mine off of E-bay but you have to search for them on there every day. Took me 2 weeks of constantly looking to find one. When you do find it it will probaly cost more Now than it did Last year or so. I paid 125 for the one I got on E-Bay last month... Somewhere around 80 with shipping when I bought it a year ago. Wait till the NEW T34/85 comes out than you will be able to get them from everyone, You will get tired of seeing them. I am sure people on the forum will be showing them off and bragging about a tank That is "NEW" when all it really is the same old kit with a different electronics board and paint job.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
nemesis4u

So it will be re-released by WSN (the branch of TRUMPETEER??)

-TOMAS
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
wackywheelz

Torro is releasing a T34/85 in a few different paintjobs, and a Mid Tiger. It has IR and sounds, but is only 5 channel - barrel elevation is linked to MG and vice-versa. To fire the MG, the barrel goes up and down - to elevate the barrel, the MG fires.

The IR looks lame, I would only rip it out

T34: http://www.matorro.com/t_34_85_43.html

Tiger: http://www.matorro.com/tiger_I._44.html

And we've talked about them [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6312904/anchors_6314761/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6314761]here[/link]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
nemesis4u

GREAT... Now where to purchase them in NORTH AMERICA [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I hope that WSN-TRUMPETEER also comes out with that M16 Halftrack.....

-CHEERS...
TOMAS
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 PM
wackywheelz

....and the Porsche turret KT!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
PoisonPorkChop

GREAT... Now where to purchase them in NORTH AMERICA [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I hope that WSN-TRUMPETEER also comes out with that M16 Halftrack.....

-CHEERS...
TOMAS
Ya....I wish SOMEONE ,Tamiya or Hen Long or ANYBODY would come out with a 1/16 RC HALFTRACK!!!! German or American..If I had a choice it would be German ..but beggers cant be choosey[]
Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM
PoisonPorkChop

ORIGINAL: panzerdriver5

Hi all,
Phinneas' T-34/85 underwent some custom upgrades. The basic conversion was not terribly involved, and included adding metal suspension arms, and cutting out all of the original insides. Rewiring the elevation, rotation, and recoil mechanisms was not complicated either, but did require a few plugs, wire, and a new micro switch for the recoil cut off. I created a plate which enabled the electronics to be mounted in the tank but be removed easily for maintenance, cleaning, or whatever. This package could be easily swapped into a second T-34/85 if needed. Try doing that with a Tamiya product.
I also added a friction latch design which enabled the top of the tank top be attached to the lower hull without having to use screws and thus does not require tools to separate the hull halves.
The truly custom upgrade I did was install Pershing gearboxes into the tank. The out-drives, which are unique on the T-34, remained intact, however I incorporated brass out-drive gears. I did not use the Pershing out-drives since they are bulky, require cutting the hull up, and require adapting the T-34 drive sprocket to the Tamiya's unit. The best approach is to add brass out-drive gears which replace the plastic gears on the original tank. The Pershing gearboxes were modified by machining the output shaft to fit a small brass pinion. Space is tight, so this had to be shoe-horned into a tight space. This design has an added benefit that the entire Pershing gearbox unit can be removed without removing track, sprockets, shafts, and what have you. The design is as close to the real thing as you are going to get.
One additional issue with the stock T-34/85 out-drive is the bushings in the out-drive housing are brass. The sprocket drive shaft is steel, and brass bushings on steel shafting can gall and sieze up, even with lubrication. I machined bronze bushings to the same specs as the brass bushings and this works fine and keeps costs down.
Nothing I have done is complicated, though it does require a lathe, and a small mill helps also. Custom machining costs tend to exceed what even I call reasonable, so that is why I buy my own equipment and do my own machining. I have been machining for over 20 years, and have been an active modeler for 30 years, though I am only 37. I was designing my own R/C planes by the time I was 15. My modeling experience is considerable. I don't really mind doing some neat stuff for people, and in fact Phinneas' T-34/85 runs better than my own static conversion T-34/76s which cost much more and took far longer to build. The amount I charge per hour of labor will vary between 20 and 30 dollars. This is based on what I have to do. Being a hobby, not a business, labor costs are a gray area. A custom model conversion like Phinneas' T-34/85 involves more than 8 hours of work. The more features you want, the more number of hours it takes. I don't paint, and don't care much about custom plastic work like making turrets and hulls. I do machining and engineering of unique mechanisms, and installing these items in a manner that results in strength and performance. I have also done full option conversions of Bandai models. For the most part, each tank's owner has been only charged a reasonable amount that would make my time worthwhile to work on the tank, and pay for the materials and supplies I use when making/fabricating the parts. If I estimate one hour to machine a part which cost me 15 bucks to buy in material, and I charge 20 an hour, the cost is only 35 bucks. A custom part might be a little more. If I have to design a part on the computer, 30 bucks an hour for design time might be factored in. Generally, only parts which I will produce in large quantities are designed on the computer.
The only limit to what I can do is based on my free time, which is not much.
Finally, there is a level of trust which Phinneas had entrusted me with his tank and 'clearly' the burden is on me to produce a quality product, sight unseen, the first time around. Failure is not an option.
Hope this helps clarify some things.
Take care all,
Daryl B. Turner
Hey Daryl,
Was just wondering..any chance you might consider doing a rc conversion of a 21st century,ultimate soldier 1/18 german Halftrack,I for one would be willing to pay anything for a RC Halftrack....If so ..I would like to be your first costumer.