Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Conversion with any tank?!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Conversion with any tank?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Conversion with any tank?!!

I'm certainly no expert, but couldn't the T-34 conversion be done with any of the cheap RC tanks? [] Apparently, the WSN T-34 has more dependable electronics than the HL tanks, however in this conversion everything but the gear box is completely removed. The WSN gear box may even be better than the Hen Long, but you can upgrade the HL tanks to metal gears, from Ebay.

I guess the allure is the different kind of tank.....Tamiya already makes the Pershing and Tiger 1, so it would be easier to just buy a Tamiya kit rather than using the electronics and selling the rest of the kit as a static model.

This information came from someone else and I saved it for my own use, but I could not relocate the site in order to link to it. I had to copy and paste the info. to get it here, but I'm not taking credit for it:

Step 1
First, separate the upper and lower hull, next, remove all the electronics/mechanisms except the main gearboxes.
Note that once you can access the driver’s hatch from the inside, the locking mechanism can be operated, and the hatch opened, with nice details on the hatch underside.
Also the ‘plug’ located on the forward underside is the crystal holder, pull that straight outwards.

Step 2
The existing turret rotation gearbox and turret traverse ring will also be kept, and can be run by a Tamiya DMD control unit, the only catch is, the turret is ‘locked down’ to the upper hull by the turret ring and won’t be easily removable like the Tamiya turret rotation system which facilitates easy access for changing batteries/maintenance.
Here, the electronics that won’t be needed have been removed, and the battery compartment has been cut out to make room for all the Tamiya gear to be installed.
Now you can put all this stuff, including the radio into your spares box.

Step 3
Here is a photo of the layout I used for the Tamiya components in the lower hull. I removed all the plastic upper/lower hull joiners except for the one over the gearbox and the two at the front of the tank. I then filled the holes and used a piece of plastic card to make a smooth base for the electronics to sit on. A mate of mine, JC from Canada used a different method in installing the DMD and MF units on their side, which enabled him to use the existing battery ‘door’ underneath to place/remove the battery. These electronics are all from a full function Tamiya Sherman RC tank

Step 4
This photo shows the positioning of the TBU receiver. You need to cut the hatch out, you can drill a small hole, then insert a piece of cotton and run it back and forth vigorously, friction will melt a very thin cut ;(thanks to John Price for the idea) Once you have cut out the hatch, position the TBU base so that the hatch sits on it when replaced. To get it at the right level, I used a PVC hose clamp to hold the base, and glued the clamp into position.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21409.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	384836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77671.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	384837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62552.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	384838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28447.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	384839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63601.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	384840  
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Jor-el

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Conversion with any tank?!!

[X(]Uh,slick,thats the link you gave me when I asked about converting the WSN T-4/85 to Tamiya DMD control. It's

http://www.rctc.co.nz/russian_t34_upgrade.htm

Hope that jars the gray matter.

Carl
Old 01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
icecreamslick

Thanks! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Sino Panzer

That's Neville Smith's excellent conversion. He made an earlier posting on the T-34/85 post & I am sure he would be glad to assist should you have additional questions.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Rocketman1959

Okay...here's a dumb question. Isn't there a way to somehow install and external jack (plug) so that the battery could be recharged without having to pull the tank apart every time?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
TANKDUEL

A club member sent me this pic of my T34 today, I thought I would share it with you guys. Neville

Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Rocketman:

Seeing as the openings in the T34 are rather limited, I'd suggest hiding it behind the driver's hatch. When you open the hull, you can unlock the catches, and from then on the hatch is only held closed by the friction of the hinge and gravity. You don't want to push a charge jack up into the turret, as its busy enough in there as it is., and pulling off the commander's cupola (after ya remove the single screw) is not as neat as hiding it behind the hull hatch.

Hope that helps...

WhiteWolf
Old 01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
icecreamslick

Rocketman1959,

I took the hull apart and installed a Tamiya connector in place of the AA battery tray (which I completely removed with a Dremel). Now, when I open the battery door on the bottom of the tank, I can access the 7.2v battery pack inside of the tank w/o taking the tank apart.

Driving it around the house, I have noticed that sometimes I accidentally turn the tank off by hitting the on/off switch on an obstacle.....I'm considering relocating it to the inside of the battery door, as well.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55316.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	386446  
Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Jason

Relocating the switch is a good idea, then you can ford small bodies of water without frying the tank.

Rocketman

Many people like to make a charging switch access for the tanks to avoid dismantling the tank. There is a schematic and examples on the SEAD site:
www.sead.us/technology4.html

Although done with Tamiya tanks the same principle holds for other battery operated tanks.