Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16 Leopard in NATO Warpaint

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Leopard in NATO Warpaint

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
calvinwill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 Leopard in NATO Warpaint

I’ve uploaded 24 photos showing the Leopard in its proper war colors, http://www.pbase.com/calvinwill/root I examined hundreds of German Leopard A5/6 photos and while there is a general camo pattern, there is also a great deal of variety in how the camo pattern is applied, I used both the photos and my 1/35 finished Leopard as a general guide.

I’m about 95% done with the painting and when done, will finish up by adding the external bits and decals, get the excess paint off the rear baskets, go to the hardware store and get some screws to hold the front hull end down, and other minor tweaks, think I’ll make the Leopard a member of the 104th Panzer Bn.

Once again I am amazed at the POWER this 1/16 scale model has, I have found nothing that this Leopard can’t conquer, steep hills, mud, deep sand and grass and combinations of. I use 2 DTX 3800 cells and have yet to run out of power, I ran the Leopard for 1 hour and 10 minutes using one cell pack before rain forced me to cancel the outing and the DTX showed no signs of running out of juice. As you can tell in some of the photos, the Leopard threw sand all over itself, including the turret, I don’t have photos showing the Leopard covered in sand, it shook them off while doing violent maneuvers.

Images 79 & 81 show the Leopard after a 360 degree pivot.

And now Tamiya, bring on the Abrams (with mine plow made out of aluminum that operates by plugging into the DMD 07) and Challenger 2.

calvinwill

Current models:
1/16:
Tamiya's Leopard A6 with Gun Stabilizer

1/35:
Tamiya MasterWorks M1A2 Abrams and Leopard A6

1/32:
Forces of Valor Challenger 2, almost the equal of Tamiya's finished Challenger, their best effort yet!

1/24:
1 Marui Leopard A5
1 Vs Pro Leopard A5
1 Marui Leopard A6, looks nice with weathering and it has softer springs for more realistic suspension action, individually linked tracks, the best of the 1/24 scale tanks.
1 Vs Pro Leopard A6
1 Vs Pro M1 Abrams
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM
jstrat121

Default RE: 1/16 Leopard in NATO Warpaint

Very Nice!!!!
How does the sand effect your tank?
Anything bad happening, or does it not matter?
Looks like a fun place to run it[8D]
Old 04-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Gaizokubanou

Wow it looks so beutiful... great job with coloring it!

I saw some water in some of the shots. Does that small body of water do anything to that beast?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:24 AM
tomzag
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

it is nice!!! give us more pix when done.
thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 AM
calvinwill

Sand does nothing to this tank, it goes right thru it. I won't run the leopard through water since the hull isn't waterproof. When I got home I opened the hull and there is NOTHING, not a single grain of sand or dirt in sight. At first I was concerned that because Tamiya didn't use a hull that overhangs the tracks debris would enter the tank but my fears have been put to rest, if you put your Leopard together properly, debris won't enter the hull. Water is another matter, except for shallow water (water level not halfway above the road wheels) don't run this tank thru it. If Tamiya had used a overhanging hull then yes, you could run thru water at slow speed (water level not above the road wheels). I've also had no problem running through mud, you have to power thru, it tears right through it throwing up mud in its wake.

calvinwill
Old 04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
calvinwill

I just want to add that before removing the upper hull, you HAVE to first remove all dirt from the tracks and upper inner hull as best you can, as the lower hull is a straight edge design, debris from the tracks and upper hull will fall into the lower hull and motors. Tamiya should have used the overhanging lower hull, this would easily prevent dirt/sand from entering the lower hull.

calvinwill