Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

hl mettle traks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM
benny2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hl mettle traks?

how are the mettle tracks better?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: hl mettle traks?

They look and sound better. They make the tank heavier so that it drives through grass unlike plastic tracked tanks which seem to float over the glass. Metal tracks don't break like the plastic ones and they don't wear out as quick. Also the metal tracks don't snag on carpets as much as plastic.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
benny2.0

Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I would agree wholeheartedly with your last point, that the metal tracks do not snag on carpet as much, the rest only hold true for mainly esthetic reasons (looks). The 1/16 Tiger I which gets the most reported track breakage out of all the HL tanks would benefit the most from metal tracks.

Some disadvantages are the weight which slows the tank down to a certain degree and I believe puts unnecessary strain on the drive train (gearboxes, roadwheels, etc.) which was designed for plastic tracks. Traction loss has been reported on certain surfaces like rocks and other hard surfaces.
I've never had a problem driving through grass and the Pershing flattens it quite well but if driving through grass that is a foot high or taller than your tank is your thing, then I suppose more weight is in order.

Since I'm having no problems at all with the Pershing's plastic tracks, I would only buy metal for the looks.

For what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.
-Harq

ORIGINAL: Wozwasnt

They look and sound better. They make the tank heavier so that it drives through grass unlike plastic tracked tanks which seem to float over the glass. Metal tracks don't break like the plastic ones and they don't wear out as quick. Also the metal tracks don't snag on carpets as much as plastic.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 AM
djdezre

metal track are perfect EXEPT you need metal gearboxes and all the wheels drive cogs and idlers, i have even gone for the metal suspension arms, you get the weight and the squeeks they dont just flatten the grass they chew it up and they look damn cool, however you do lose some grip but then when have you ever seen a tank scaleing a rock face lolol
Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 AM
pantiger man

i like metel tracks better they look more realistic,
Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ordering mine this week..my Wife always puts up a fight with me over the tank issues...