Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL SS TIGER & ALTERATIONS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL SS TIGER & ALTERATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
namdoc69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL SS TIGER & ALTERATIONS

Hi! After spending several months reading the posts here on the HL RC tanks (Pros & Cons) decided to see for myself and purchased the HL Tiger
(Limited edition SS version) from Mato.
After tank arrived, gave it a quick inspection, charged up the battery and gave it a drive. Engine sounds are kind of funky ( I'm spoiled, used to the tamiya engine sounds which will blow you out of your socks if turn volume up highest)
tank does have somewhat of a proportional speed control if you are careful with the stick and adjust the forward/back trim lever. Also discovered a complete set of gear boxes (metal) in a hole hidden behind a piece of cardboard taped to the side of the styrofoam shipping mold.
Thought this was strange as the promos for the HL SS Tiger stated that the metal upgrade gears were already installed in the tank.
The bb shooter is impressive, richcheted a ball off the far wall from across my living room.
Did have one problem with the tank on its first run. The left track suddenly got hung up on the drive sprocket. Found out that a track pin had bent, causing partial serparation of the track and jamming on sprocket. Don't know why this happened, have been running my tamyia Tiger on Mato tracks for about a month now with no problems.
This tank is not a Tamiya, but it's a good subsitute for people like me who want to work on another Tiger, but can't afford Tamiya prices again.
After spending a year working on my Tamiya, I feel I have enough confidence and skill to do some alteration work on the HL tiger.
Here are some of the alterations I am plan on making to the HL. By the way, I already have the tank completely dissasembled, took me about two hours. Oh, the tank already has a set of upgraded gearboxes installed, so I guess I got an extra pair now.

1. Rotate the Cmdr's cupola so that the hatch faces in the right direction, it now faces almost to the rear of the turret.
2. Change location of the receiver antenna on tank to make it historically more accurate.
3. Change position of turret pistol port cover, so that the oval opening is vertical not horizontal .
4. Sorry guys, I might be able to live with some of the mistakes on this tank, but that upside down turret mantlet (faceplate) just bugs the heck out of me! That's going to be changed.
5. Do something with that funky bow machine gun, replace with a real ball mount for the MG.
6. Lengthen the 88mm cannon barrel, its way too short.
7. Possibly make the turret side escape hatch operational, ditto for the driver/RO hatches.
8. Add more detail to the loader & Cmdr. hatches.
9. Probably a lot more things to do but can't think of at the moment.
This should keep me busy for sometime. A good Winter project.

[:-] Few other observations: The inside flap of the HL shipping box has several pictures of the tank model in action, one large overhead view, and several smaller photos. These picts appear to be the same exact pictures that appear on the inside flap of the Tamiya Tiger carrying case!
The HL tank commander looks to be the twin brother to Tamiya's TC. Only difference is the Tamiya figure is plastic, while the HL is some type of soft rubber. Also the paint on the HL figure still feels "tacky" as though the paint has trouble drying on the rubber. Maybe a little HL plagiarism at work here?[X(]

PS: Love to post some picts of my finished Tamiya Tiger 1, but don't have a digital camera as yet. Been hinting for one for xmas, so keeping my fingers crossed. Bye!