Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Just got a 2nd tank (HL Pershing), and need advise...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Just got a 2nd tank (HL Pershing), and need advise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Audix99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 2nd tank (HL Pershing), and need advise...

Hi guys,

Since acquiring my 1st RC tank (SS version Tiger I from Mato toys) in June, I finally got a secone one on Monday this week.
What I got was a HL Pershing SS version from Mato toys.

I got toally spoiled by my Tiger I because it has been 100% problem free ever since I got it in June.
Despite of moderate outdoor use, it only threw tracks off just a couple of times, and those happened because of loose driving wheels.
It never broke a single track link, and it's been running as smooth as silk.

Now about this new Pershing.
Unlike my Tiger I, it had a few problems out of box.

First, there was a signigicant amount of binding in the left-side gearbox, thus tank ran very rough and not straight at all.
So I hooked up the motor of that side directly to a battery and ran it without track on for 20-min forward and 20-min reverse.
Now, the metal gears are broken-in nicely and it's running smooth and straight.

Second, the turret was not turning at all because of tangled wires inside. An easy fix, and it's all good now.

The third question, however, I haven't been able to fix. It's about the BB gun.
It fired its first BB once after I got it, and that was it. After that initial shot, it just shoots air.
If I load a BB through muzzle and fire, it shoots fine and quite strongly.
But even with bunch of BBs in it, it just dosen't fire an BB at all.
But it seems something got stuck in the loading mechanism and preventing BBs from getting into the breech.

Is there any way to fix this without taking the turret apart? Please let me know.

Also, how do I remove the road wheels of HL Pershing? I am thinking of repaining lower and upper hulls, and it'll be better if I can repaint with road wheels removed.

BTW, I thought Pershing was smaller than Tiger I in actual size. But this Pershing is same size as my Tiger. And the commender that came with Pershing is actually larger than the German commender in Tiger I.
Maybe, either Pershing or Tiger is in wrong/inaccurate scale??

Anywhy, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know about how to fix the BB system and remove the road wheels.

Thanks a bunch, guys...

Steve...
Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
FMB42

Default RE: Just got a 2nd tank (HL Pershing), and need advise...

Hey Audix,
Are you using the HL bbs that came with your Pershing? If so, get some good BBs from Crosman or Flying Colors etc. The HL factory bbs are of poor quality and may have jammed your feed system. Try turning your tank upside down while tapping lightly on the turret with your finger. This may help dislodge any jammed bbs. Try firing it (in a safe manor) with it upside down if you still have problems. I had problems with a Pershing due to using the HL bbs and was able to clear it up by doing the above. Otherwise you will have to disassemble the tank for further insepction. I would recommend that you contact Mato for advise and or a replacement unit as they have a good rep for customer service. HTH.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any rattling noises in the turret?

If so you might havea broken breach.. which means you need a new gun!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Audix99

Thanks for the replies, guys!!!

The BBs I put in the Pershing were those came from Mato Toys, which were different from the HL packed BBs.
Those from Mato were supposed to be a better quality, right?
I haven't had a problem with those BBs with my Tiger, so I can't figuer out what happened...

There is no rattling noise, so I don't think the breach was broken.
But I will try what FMB42 suggested tonight, and try to disassemble it if it does not solve the problem.

If I notice any broken part, then I will contact Mato and order the replacement.

Thanks again, guys...

PS: How the heck do I remove the road wheels? Anyone???

BTW, the plastic track for Pershing is really HEAVY! Is it even possible to break these tracks? Man, those must me 2x thicker/heavier than my Tiger tracks!!! Awesome!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
ah64

I to would like to know how to remove the road wheels. Only way I was able to see how was to center punch the rod that holds the Suspension to the bottom of the tank, You can see the Metal rod ends from inside the tank. Currently i have the gear boxes and electronics out of mine. Doing a overhaul. Got it on Wed of this week and I have upgrades coming. I haven't tried it yet Don't know if I will. Just something I happened to see while clearing out the hull. Hopefully someone with Know how will Post here soon.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Pershing. That is usually not the norm for this tank as it is often trouble-free.
Concerning your said desire to remove the roadwheels for painting, I did not remove mine for painting nor did I want to for risk of breaking them. What I did was to remove the tracks and mask off each roadwheel with a strip of newspaper (1 inch wider than the wheels) taped around the circumference of each one. I folded over the edges of the newspaper to help mask the sides of the wheels. I then went hog wild with the paint and coated the hull of the tank. To paint the inner steel rims (the area with the lug nut detail) and to isolate the rubber tires from overspray, I merely created circular masks cut from index card to the exact diameter of the rims. I used a simple compass to draw them on paper or you could fasten a hobby knife in the slot for the pencil and cut them in one motion...
I hand held the circular mask and got good results with these methods.

Tedious and painstaking perhaps but it got the job done. Tanks looks like I did remove all roadwheels to paint.

Aside from that, maybe someone can assist you with removing your roadwheels but it is sure to be a delicate operation perhaps.

-Harquebus

ORIGINAL: Audix99

PS: How the heck do I remove the road wheels? Anyone???

BTW, the plastic track for Pershing is really HEAVY! Is it even possible to break these tracks? Man, those must me 2x thicker/heavier than my Tiger tracks!!! Awesome!!!